How fast is the game of One Pocket evolving?

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
Although old school One Pocket ala JJ is still very powerful, the new players who make everything have put this game into overdrive. I remember the days when players would move and move until they had 8 ducks and then slam the door shut like butta. Over the years the older styles have all faded away as new players bring new styles and find the key to opening the lock of the older styles.

Todays players are much more risk loving than the older ones. The banking is so accurate that banks are like straight ins. The straight ins are so easy that these guys don't dog it as much.

I wonder what the game will be like in 10 years or so.

onepockethacker

Verified Member
Although old school One Pocket ala JJ is still very powerful, the new players who make everything have put this game into overdrive. I remember the days when players would move and move until they had 8 ducks and then slam the door shut like butta. Over the years the older styles have all faded away as new players bring new styles and find the key to opening the lock of the older styles.

Todays players are much more risk loving than the older ones. The banking is so accurate that banks are like straight ins. The straight ins are so easy that these guys don't dog it as much.

I wonder what the game will be like in 10 years or so.

Its simple Petie. Old style players had an advantage before over shot makers because alot of the shooters didn't know all of the moves and the older players would be patient and the shooters would sell out because they didn't know certain moves... Today however with Accustats. You Tube, Videos, Live Streaming everyone learns the moves right away. Now everyone knows most of the moves and it comes down to like Billy I likes to say "ball striking".

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Cardone and I were chatting about this exact same subject over in N.O.

It's a fallacy to think that the older school players, say, from the 1960's played squeeze or bunt style one-pocket. There are a few videos of film taken at Johnston City in the mid-1960's, and you'll notice that the guys were generally going for their hole, not squeezing.

One reason? They played on bucket pockets. I think most corner pockets were 5", some perhaps 4-3/4". So running balls was a little easier, despite slightly inferior pool balls, cues, etc.

Some areas, such as Chicago, and perhaps NYC, developed more of a safe style of play. But by the time Ronnie Allen burst onto the scene, most everywhere had to kick it up a notch.

The advances in equipment, plus Hacker's point re being able to go to school on every conceivable move anyone ever made anywhere caused the modern player to be more skilled at moving, plus to be killer ball makers.

And Petie is right about players willing to be risk takers. It's pretty much the new style, and I believe at least some of that has been influenced by no-limit hole 'em poker. They're all a bunch of Kamikaze's!!

~Doc

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Cardone and I were chatting about this exact same subject over in N.O.

It's a fallacy to think that the older school players, say, from the 1960's played squeeze or bunt style one-pocket. There are a few videos of film taken at Johnston City in the mid-1960's, and you'll notice that the guys were generally going for their hole, not squeezing.

One reason? They played on bucket pockets. I think most corner pockets were 5", some perhaps 4-3/4". So running balls was a little easier, despite slightly inferior pool balls, cues, etc.

Some areas, such as Chicago, and perhaps NYC, developed more of a safe style of play. But by the time Ronnie Allen burst onto the scene, most everywhere had to kick it up a notch.

The advances in equipment, plus Hacker's point re being able to go to school on every conceivable move anyone ever made anywhere caused the modern player to be more skilled at moving, plus to be killer ball makers.

And Petie is right about players willing to be risk takers. It's pretty much the new style, and I believe at least some of that has been influenced by no-limit hole 'em poker. They're all a bunch of Kamikaze's!!

~Doc

These are exactly the 'style' of players Artie LOVED to play!

I saw where someone mentioned ALL the '8 n outs' Alex was running in his games! Well, what do you think that should tell ANYONE! ALL his opponents made the FIRST mistake, and gave up the FIRST shot to WIN!

Many players of the past era would rather cut off their arm first, than make the first mistake! Don't get me wrong, mistakes are relevant to your opponents ability and knowledge of the game! Sadly to say, even at the TOP level most players think ONE shot at a time!

Whether the pockets are big or small the past generation of 1 hole players would adapt. I'm sure they would even tighten up more, with ball runners like Alex, Scott and Shane! WE all know the CB is the entire game playing 1 hole, it's MUCH easier to control it with the faster cloth, better balls, lively rubber and more consistent playing field all around! I'm 100% sure the past players would adapt just fine, NOT having to play on burlap #1, like in the old days when you had to have a REAL stroke!

JMHO!

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Its simple Petie. Old style players had an advantage before over shot makers because alot of the shooters didn't know all of the moves and the older players would be patient and the shooters would sell out because they didn't know certain moves... Today however with Accustats. You Tube, Videos, Live Streaming everyone learns the moves right away. Now everyone knows most of the moves and it comes down to like Billy I likes to say "ball striking".

Every time I watch a player like JJ I'm reminded that knowing the moves isn't nearly enough. IOW, I might do fine strategically if I were coaching JJ to execute, but the "big moves" I might know are useless if I can't execute them perfectly. Precise carom angles, precise speed, precise english... these are things to dream about, and admire when you see them, but I can kiss my ass goodbye if I try to execute them in risky spots. :eek:

However, my stroke is flawless with my mouse. :D