Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2019, 09:23 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoFats View Post
What kind of reducers do you have and do you feel they are good enough to use for gambling or just practice?
They are older pocket reducers that are not made any longer. They only reduce the 4 corner pockets and are a single piece of leather that acts similar to adding shims to a pocket. Remind me and next week I will take pictures for you. They are the best I found at the time by far.

I have gambled cheap with putting one in my pocket only as a spot.
Old 10-03-2019, 11:34 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatle View Post
if you have standard pockets its a lot more fun to play on. that is part of having a home table. plus with too tight pockets you cant use pocket play for position. and in many games getting position by cheating pockets is most important.

if all you want to do is improve ball making then maybe it pays to make them super tight. but even with wide pockets you can still shoot the ball into the center of the pocket.
no shit sherlock....errrÖ.zephyr....

i think the premise of the inquiry is at what point can you make a table tight enough to be as challenging as possible without fundamentally changing the game.....icbw

personally, 1/4" like ben has done sounds reasonable, and i plan to be in contact with diamond how to go about it.....

Old 10-03-2019, 11:41 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardmix View Post
Dustin I had Diamond extend the rails.
thanks pal. i'll reach out to diamond and see if i can ship my rails to them or even bring them to DCC.....

Old 10-04-2019, 12:37 AM
Verified Member

to each his own. but for me 41/4 pockets make all shots needing to be precise. that means you cant play much position to cheat a pocket. that is part of the game.

plus many 3 cushion shots are now layups or not shoot able because they are too hard to make. kiss shots are out unless they are simple.

if you are so good you are running out all the time in one pocket then sure the pockets are too big even for fun.

ill stick with 4 1/2
Old 10-04-2019, 02:04 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatle View Post
to each his own. but for me 41/4 pockets make all shots needing to be precise. that means you cant play much position to cheat a pocket. that is part of the game.

plus many 3 cushion shots are now layups or not shoot able because they are too hard to make. kiss shots are out unless they are simple.

if you are so good you are running out all the time in one pocket then sure the pockets are too big even for fun.

ill stick with 4 1/2
thanks....point taken. and no, running out all the time is not something that is burdensome for me...lol....
Old 10-04-2019, 07:52 AM
Verified Member

Default Getting home table re-clothed

I would probably only tighten two of the pockets, leave the rest standard. I once tightened all my pockets to 3.75 and I couldnít beat the 5ball ghost in a race to 15, not once in several years. But I was a straight shooting freak...who eventually didnít enjoy practicing much.
Old 10-04-2019, 08:06 AM
Verified Member

a compromise is 4 3/8 pocket
Old 10-09-2019, 11:30 AM
Verified Member

Well I learned something, I thought standard stock was 4 1/4..

so at the derby this past year, the pockets were 4 1/2?
Old 10-09-2019, 11:46 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincy_kid View Post
Well I learned something, I thought standard stock was 4 1/4..

so at the derby this past year, the pockets were 4 1/2?
Yea Derby is 4 1/2.

Clifton Billiards, Sandcastle Billiards, and a few others have 3 7/8 corners, That’s just stupid tight. I regularly play on 4 1/8 so it’s the norm for me. When I play on a 4 1/2” pocket I’ll go for way more shots than I normally would, I’ll push the offense end of it.

If I were to buy a new Diamond I’d probably get 4 1/4 from the factory. If I have to extend the rails I’d go with 4 1/8 for a practice table.
Old 10-09-2019, 01:00 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtompilot View Post
Yea Derby is 4 1/2.

Clifton Billiards, Sandcastle Billiards, and a few others have 3 7/8 corners, Thatís just stupid tight. I regularly play on 4 1/8 so itís the norm for me. When I play on a 4 1/2Ē pocket Iíll go for way more shots than I normally would, Iíll push the offense end of it.

If I were to buy a new Diamond Iíd probably get 4 1/4 from the factory. If I have to extend the rails Iíd go with 4 1/8 for a practice table.
Thanks Jim!

Yea for you good shot makers I can see that. For me, I would probably be good at 4 1/2 and if I decide to tighten go to 4 1/4.

3 7/8 yikes!