Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2019, 09:52 PM
Verified Member

One thing. I like kicking 1 rail at the ball and hiding the 2 up table balls with the 5. Iím afraid if I shoot the 5 away and leave the 12 he will play shape on a bank and possibly knock the ball in by the pocket up there leaving me with having to deal with stuff coming back down to the business end. I donít want that.
I should kick that ball in 9 out of 10 times.
Old 10-09-2019, 04:59 AM
Verified Member

i assume the first picture tells us which pocket you have. and that first pic you have the last ball in your hole with it being the pocket on the left.

that may be some confusion here. at least for me.

but in any case anyone that cant one rail into that ball every single time isnt supposed to be on this forum. there is another forum for those that cant play.

Last edited by beatle; 10-09-2019 at 05:05 AM.
Old 10-09-2019, 08:43 AM
Verified Member

Default All Cue Ball Speed

Cut the 5, into your side upper corner pocket....hang it up or lay it ON that long rail....cue ball two rails back to THAT same long rail.
no link....

Last edited by Island Drive; 10-10-2019 at 10:41 AM.
Old 10-09-2019, 08:46 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatle View Post
i assume the first picture tells us which pocket you have. and that first pic you have the last ball in your hole with it being the pocket on the left.

but in any case anyone that cant one rail into that ball every single time isnt supposed to be on this forum. there is another forum for those that cant play.
I figure 9/10. Whereís is that other forum for guys my speed?
Old 10-09-2019, 10:04 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatle View Post

I don't understand your point, beatle. Just like anyone on this board should be able to kick the 10 ball in "every single time", I would think that everyone on this board can recognize which hole is the Ghost's hole and what the scenario is that we are analyzing here.

That aside, there is no point, and absolutely nothing to gain, and much to lose in attempting to kick that 10 ball in lieu of putting the 5 ball out of play.. To suggest otherwise to those who are here trying to learn is a disservice.

The question is not can you kick the 10 ball in; the question is should you.

If you disagree, please enlighten us on a few good things and a few bad things that can happen attempting to kick in the 10 ball, you know, risk/reward analysis.

Thanks for sharing, but I expect most will get it.

Old 10-09-2019, 10:10 AM
Verified Member

I see four ways to pocket the opponent's 10 ball: 1. Table length kick 2. Draw off the 5 ball 3. Masse the CB 4. Play off the pocket point, like the old trick shot.

Of the four, the most reliable for me would be the table length kick. The shot does potentially leave a straight-back of the 5, especially if the CB contacts the long rail before the 10.

If a guy has a good stroke, drawing off the 5 is a reasonable choice, because it removes the 5 from the opponent's territory. The only danger is following the 10 in with the CB.

Playing off the pocket point is a fairly easy shot if a guy is used to that hit. It's also least likely to scratch because the CB generally contacts the short rail before the hanging ball.

The masse is not real difficult, but it's hard to control, and also has potential for a scratch.

Of those four choices, I'd likely take a swing at shooting off the point. I've practiced the shot, and can shoot it with a fair degree of confidence. The long rail kick is easier, but leaving a return bank would cause me pause..

~Doc
Old 10-09-2019, 10:16 AM
Verified Member

for sure shooting off the 5 and caroming into he 10, but isn't the 10 your game winning ball Ghost? You said bottom left hand corner..looking from where?

Either way, if its my game ball or his pocket, it's the only shot to play...given the score and ball placement.
Old 10-09-2019, 10:52 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincy_kid View Post
for sure shooting off the 5 and caroming into he 10, but isn't the 10 your game winning ball Ghost? You said bottom left hand corner..looking from where?

Either way, if its my game ball or his pocket, it's the only shot to play...given the score and ball placement.
CK,

If your opponent can't make another ball after pocketing the 10 ball, what do you gain by trying to pocket it for him and risking coming off the hill?

I really don't even think it is possible to keep the 5 ball on your side of the table if you succeed in pocketing the 10 ball, and hence he has a shot he shouldn't have.

The friendly Ghost is trying to teach here folks. Let's see what he thinks.
Old 10-09-2019, 11:35 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darmoose View Post
CK,

If your opponent can't make another ball after pocketing the 10 ball, what do you gain by trying to pocket it for him and risking coming off the hill?

I really don't even think it is possible to keep the 5 ball on your side of the table if you succeed in pocketing the 10 ball, and hence he has a shot he shouldn't have.

The friendly Ghost is trying to teach here folks. Let's see what he thinks.
First off, I am stil not sure which pocket is the Ghosts from the description, lol...

But ok, let's say it is the opponent pocket and I need 1 ball to win. I dont want to come off the hill no matter what. So for me it boils down to which shot I think will less likely cause a foul.

For me personally, I think caroming off the 5 with some low RHE, into the long rail right before the pocket and make the 10. if I miss the 10, no problem, he makes it and may even get shape on the 5 depending on where it ended up, but im still the fave 7-6.

Granted, the 1 rail kick to the 10 ball should be an easy shot fopr any of us, but i cant tell you how many times I have missed it slightly or the table rolled off or I miscued and fouled or followed it in or any number of things. Now, he gets both balls for sure plus I lose a ball so he gets the spotted ball too and probably wins from there.

I like my odds coming off the 5.

The only other shot I would consider is shooting the 5 long cross corner to tie it up by the other balls and just let him have the free 10 and hope he doesn't get any more.
Old 10-09-2019, 12:14 PM
Verified Member

I have one question for you guys who plan on moving the 5 ball up table and allowing your opponent to pocket the 10 ball themselves.
What makes you think that is their only option? Okay, two questions. So if they don't choose to pocket the 10, where would you want to place the 5 and cue balls and what might they do in response?

And for those of you who want to somehow pocket the 10 ball. Do you really want to take even a slim chance of coming off the hill when your opponent needs four and two of them are currently out of play?

Tom

"Controlled Aggression" trwirth369@gmail.com