29 balls in one pocket

desertshark

Typically a harder break like that isn't desired right?
I'm still pretty new, but if I felt like I could break and run I would.
If you break and pocket one anywhere, would you keep going like CJ did and is that legal?

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Typically a harder break like that isn't desired right?
I'm still pretty new, but if I felt like I could break and run I would.
If you break and pocket one anywhere, would you keep going like CJ did and is that legal?

that break is not for playing
only for practice
in practice you can make up your rules:)

desertshark

that break is not for playing
only for practice
in practice you can make up your rules:)

Thank you Larry, it all makes sense now and has sparked my curiosity for runing out on one pocket for practice. :)

I imagine that doing this would better my 14.1 game as well :D

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
want to practice 1p ??
heres a great drill
break em open and try to run out

That's not just a drill. I've seen Red give that game to a player my speed. Break and keep shooting at your pocket till you miss, they both went to 8. They broke out about even from what I remember.

Dennis

boingo

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
Nice run.

Nice run.

He had that cueball on a pretty tight leash. I like the way he kept the eleven bank as an insurance shot. The drill does seem like a good way to learn one pocket patterns with the open break contributing variety to the layouts. I'll give it a try next time I get out.

lfigueroa

Verified Member
What?

It's not enough already that every other thread on AZ is CJ-centric -- so now we also have to suffer him here too?!

So, OK, if we're going to "do" CJ here, let me throw some real chum in the one pocket.org waters: did everyone know that CJ claims to have been voted one of the *top three most feared money players of all-time*?

Knock yourselves out with THAT one.

Lou Figueroa

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
What?

It's not enough already that every other thread on AZ is CJ-centric -- so now we also have to suffer him here too?!

So, OK, if we're going to "do" CJ here, let me throw some real chum in the one pocket.org waters: did everyone know that CJ claims to have been voted one of the *top three most feared money players of all-time*?

Knock yourselves out with THAT one.

Lou Figueroa
lou
personally i think the touch of inside is bull sh #t
still 29 in a ro in one pocket is sporty

lfigueroa

Verified Member
lou

If the balls are wide open, on a familiar, not too tough table, and then you come to the table and get them wide open again, I'm not so sure. It doesn't hurt if you edited the tape either.

Lou Figueroa

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
I remember Allen Hopkins used this drill as a bet. He would bet even money giving himself 5 free breaks and run a predetermined number of balls within the 5 racks. One of the five he must run all fifteen balls. A lot of the drill is in breaking properly to come up with an open first shot.

I have been using this drill for years to hone my skills at running balls. There are many times where the shooter will come up dry from the break or during the run and have to invent something from nothing. This is what I believe to be one of the best aspects of this drill. It forces the shooter to use his or her imagination as the drill is total offense.

Tom

bstroud

Verified Member
The first time I saw this break used was in Johnson City 1963?

Ronnie Allen was playing Squirrel 8 to 5 and getting the break and first shot.

Shows how much playing conditions have changed one pocket.

Bill S.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.

Bill S.

That doesn't sound right to me Bill.:confused: Ronnie Allen was getting the break and the first shot and only giving up three balls?:help That's what Squirrell needed:help :sorry

Dr. Bill

SJDinPHX

Suspended

Bill S.

Bill S, somethings not right here...You must have left out some very important stipulations..or the numbers are wrong...RA would be a very prohibitive favorite, playing that way...Squirrel, may never win a game ! :confused:

PS..If you're saying they are both taking the break and the first shot, (in turn) than Squirrel has the nuts ! :confused:

Last edited:

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
lou

I was in an actual game with the house man in San Mateo Ca back in the sixties. I believe his name was Dee Hass (sp?). We were playing cheep maybe ten or twenty. I was giving him something like 11/7 or so. Anyway at one point I broke and made a ball on the break and continued to run out for the win. He asked me to continue shooting and I ran the rack out. I then broke (I liked playing winner break) and made another ball on the break and ran 14 balls before missing an easy shot on the last ball. So my record is 29 in a row.

To me the amazing part was making a ball two times is a row. What's your record for a ball on the break?

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
I was in an actual game with the house man in San Mateo Ca back in the sixties. I believe his name was Dee Hass (sp?). We were playing cheep maybe ten or twenty. I was giving him something like 11/7 or so. Anyway at one point I broke and made a ball on the break and continued to run out for the win. He asked me to continue shooting and I ran the rack out. I then broke (I liked playing winner break) and made another ball on the break and ran 14 balls before missing an easy shot on the last ball. So my record is 29 in a row.

To me the amazing part was making a ball two times is a row. What's your record for a ball on the break?

That's pretty awesome Frank.
I might make a ball on the break 4 or 5 times a year.
I made one yesterday, but these days I only play if you make one on the break, then it's your opponents shot. :)
Rod.
P.S. The way I break, if I make one it's an accident.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA

Dee Hulse Frank. He owned Executive Billiards in San Mateo and was a pretty good player. He went to quite a few big tournaments with Al "The Plumber" Winchenbaugh.

lfigueroa

Verified Member

I don't think I've ever made it twice in a row, but have done it twice during a race to four. I thought the other guy was going to have a heart attack :)

I did once, however, freeze up all three balls playing 3C. Harry Sims got up off the rail to take a look and asked me, "You do know how rare that is, don't you?"

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

Verified Member
Dee Hulse Frank. He owned Executive Billiards in San Mateo and was a pretty good player. He went to quite a few big tournaments with Al "The Plumber" Winchenbaugh.

I remember Dee. For a while he was playing at my home home, Town & Country, in Daly City. One day I was there practicing for the ACUI 14.1 tournament and he came over and showed me his grip, which he said he was taught by Eddie Taylor. He was a straight shootin' sum gun that always had this somewhat sardonic, gunslinger look on his face.

Lou Figueroa

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Well I guess I'll put my two cents in here. I'm getting older and don't play much anymore. I never really made much of a name for myself although I do have a few impressive notches on my belt. So if I throw myself a bone I hope no one cares too much that I'm tooting my own horn.

In the seventies I once had a game with a gentelman who was considered a very good local player. We decided to play some One Pocket for $20 and I won the first break. I broke the balls and ran 8 and out. He then broke and sold out the corner ball and I ran out again. On my break, again I pocketed a ball and ran out. On his second break he did it again, the corner ball dribbled out for an easy shot, and again I ran 8 and out. Four games and all he did was break the balls twice.

In playing Jose Parica in the finals of the second of Strawberry's tournament I made a ball on the break four out of five times. When it was over he said to me "Your break is awesome."

For some reason i've always had a high success rate for making a ball on the break. I wish I knew how. I don't think I do anything different than anyone else but a ball seems to go in with uncanny frequency. I'd write a book and make a fortune if I knew what I was doing! lol

Tom

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Well I guess I'll put my two cents in here. I'd write a book and make a fortune if I knew what I was doing! lol

Tom

Hell, don't let that stop you. Great story man. You obviously play mighty good. And you are a great poster as well. A very positive addition to the site.