You vs. Him #212

Dudley

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
Sacrafice the two, bank the nine into the stack, park the cue ball there, and the 14 ball blocks any return banks.

View attachment 7938

I believe this shot is possible however I also believe it is very tough... A little to thick on the nine and it banks right at your cue ball.

If you did cut the 9 ball thin enough you would also have to hit it very hard to get the 9 ball to travel with any force. It seems to me that it would be super tough to beat a kiss on the cue ball shooting it this way.

Others may hit this shot better than I do.

Dudley

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
I believe this shot is possible however I also believe it is very tough... A little to thick on the nine and it banks right at your cue ball.

If you did cut the 9 ball thin enough you would also have to hit it very hard to get the 9 ball to travel with any force. It seems to me that it would be super tough to beat a kiss on the cue ball shooting it this way.

Others may hit this shot better than I do.

Dudley

I agree with all Dudley says here.:p
Rod.
P.S. I don't know that it'll kiss, but it'll probably go over and back.

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
I just looked over what I had said earlier and I think I must have had a senior moment when I said to billiard off the fourteen and into the right side of the two. Obviously I meant to say billiard into the left side of the two and under the nine. I hope you all realized what I meant to say even though I screwed it up at the time. It's hell getting old. At least I was playing to the proper pocket. And I still like the shot.

Tom

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I just looked over what I had said earlier and I think I must have had a senior moment when I said to billiard off the fourteen and into the right side of the two. Obviously I meant to say billiard into the left side of the two and under the nine. I hope you all realized what I meant to say even though I screwed it up at the time. It's hell getting old. At least I was playing to the proper pocket. And I still like the shot.

Tom
Excellent choice Tom, i'm kinda upset that I didn't come up with that shot.:) That's a Jack Cooney shot, Reyes would of spotted that as well. Cleans up all return shots too, and if you end up in back of the 9ball frozen you're in business.:cool:

Another thing I like about the shot is it's easy to execute, the tough part of the shot is recognizing it's availability. Great move.:)

Dr. Bill

Last edited:

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Excellent choice Tom, i'm kinda upset that I didn't come up with that shot.:) That's a Jack Cooney shot, Reyes would of spotted that as well. Cleans up all return shots too, and if you end up in back of the 9ball frozen you're in business.:cool:

Another thing I like about the shot is it's easy to execute, the tough part of the shot is recognizing it's availability. Great move.:)

Dr. Bill
Tom, for the short time that you have been posting you have shown me that you have an excellent mind for one pocket. I have noticed that you have come up with many good shots and have rebutted what many thought were good options. Who did you learn from if anyone? You also mentioned that you play 3 cushion as well, another game that would be beneficial as well playing one pocket. You were very quick to point out the three cushion around the table options for both offense and defensive shots. I also like when you accepted my critiquing of the Frost billiard with the 2ball as not being a conservative option, and totally understood my logic when I rebutted. I would really enjoy playing you some one pocket, hopefully one day we can play.

Dr. Bill

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Tom, for the short time that you have been posting you have shown me that you have an excellent mind for one pocket. I have noticed that you have come up with many good shots and have rebutted what many thought were good options. Who did you learn from if anyone? You also mentioned that you play 3 cushion as well, another game that would be beneficial as well playing one pocket. You were very quick to point out the three cushion around the table options for both offense and defensive shots. I also like when you accepted my critiquing of the Frost billiard with the 2ball as not being a conservative option, and totally understood my logic when I rebutted. I would really enjoy playing you some one pocket, hopefully one day we can play.

Dr. Bill
Tom, do you realize it's almost 2am. in Fl? Good night:D

Dr. Bill

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida

Dr. Bill

Dr. Bill,
It is interesting you asked where I learned the game of One Pocket. I lived in MD. just outside Washington D.C. When I first stepped into the local pool room for the first time I was about sixteen and was as green as the grass on a golf course. I had the good fortune of having a good player teach me a few fundamentals and I went from there. The players in this room all played One Pocket far more than any other game. D.C. was a great One Pocket town from early on. There was Earl Shriver, Gracey, Strawberry, Jackie Robinson aka "the mailman" and so on and so on. The number of road players who came through town couldn't be counted. Many of them left broke.

I learned the hard way how to play the game. I lost my money every week for years but I never gave up because I saw that I was learning the game, and the players who were beating me weren't beating me as easily as before.

Also, there was Jack & Jill Cue Club, Beenie's place in Shirlington, Va. Another top spot was Guys & Dolls in Silverhill, MD. At the time this place had the highest dollar action in the country. Baltimore was just up the street and more wonderful players hailed from that area. Cigar Tom (not much of a One Pocket player but a great 9ball player. Greg Regie (sp) Richard Regie's son was a super player. He was a little nuts but wow, what a player. His dad wouldn't let him out of the basement until he ran a hundred balls in straight pool. This was every day! For those who don't know, Greg was subject to beat anyone. Pick your game.

Man! The players I got to watch were awe inspiring. Every great player in the world played there at one point or another. I know you know that. I watched and learned like my mind was a sponge for knowledge. I lived and breathed One Pocket. Misspent youth? You know it.

I got to where I could compete with a few of the better players and kept getting more solid with every match I played. I developed that killer instinct every top player has in their arsenal. That is the intangable difference between players in my estimation. Learning how to win against fine players when NOT playing your best is the most important lesson a professional can learn.

What I'm tellling you is nothing new to you or to many others who may be reading this, but in writing this it dawned on me that there are others who frequent this site who are eagar to learn and improve their game. I hope to inspire others to join us who have been playing One Pocket for our lifetimes and love it as we do.

Bill, I would consider it a privledge to play some One Pocket with you. I rarely get a chance to play much anymore. I cannot go in a smoking room at all. I suffer from some COPD and though many rooms are now nonsmoking that factor has come a little late for me. I've lost a lot of my shot making skills and my priorities have changed. The NEED to win isn't as strong as it once was. I have most of what is important to me, thank God.

Now I mostly wish to share what I know about this game. I want to give something back to the game I think is the best game ever invented.

Thanks for reading, and thanks to those folks who constructed this site.
Yikes, I didn't know I carried on this long.

Tom

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Hi Tom, I will add that I enjoyed playing you. Your knowlege and play was impressive. It has made me re-evaluate my game and approach to the game. I will never stop learning about 1P. WOW, what a game:D

Thank you Tom for the lesson:)

Jim

Jakie

Verified Member
From
Naples Fl
One Pocket DC/MD

One Pocket DC/MD

Tom-
I am pretty sure Greg's last name was Rigge. We have talked about this before but for some reason when the discussion of the best Balt/Wash players comes up he doesn't get much notice. Had his problems,no doubt,but could play with anybody.Thanks for the mention of Guys and Dolls were I "grew up".many good players in there playing for big money.Good memories.

Thanks

Nick

FastEddieF.

Verified Member
Tom

Tom

IMO Tom became the best onepocket player in MD. A great guy to talk to. I think it was the first DCC Tom I think came in 9th he lost to Parica in a close match. Tom correct me if I wrong.Tom also has a strong 9 ball game.He loves teaching pool. Dr.Bill you and Tom would be a great match. I'm betting on Tom in onepocket over you,but I 'm betting on you over Tom in 9ball. Close either way.

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Hi Tom, I will add that I enjoyed playing you. Your knowlege and play was impressive. It has made me re-evaluate my game and approach to the game. I will never stop learning about 1P. WOW, what a game:D

Thank you Tom for the lesson:)

Jim

Hi Jim,
Quite a contrast going from S. Florida to Michigan this time of year, huh?
You were enjoyable to play also, Jim. You showed me some very impressive banks off the top rail and got out of a number of traps I thought had you cold. You beat me one game where I had you 7 - 3, I will never forgive you for that!

I'm glad you enjoy One Pocket and want to continue your journey of developement. You will never learn it all and that is part of the beauty surrounding the game.

Be well,

Tom

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Tom-
I am pretty sure Greg's last name was Rigge. We have talked about this before but for some reason when the discussion of the best Balt/Wash players comes up he doesn't get much notice. Had his problems,no doubt,but could play with anybody.Thanks for the mention of Guys and Dolls were I "grew up".many good players in there playing for big money.Good memories.

Thanks

Nick

Hi Nick,
Thanks for the correction. Greg was such a talent and such a flake. You couldn't help but like him. There are a lot of entertaining stories about Greg and pool.

There were many other players who hailed from the Wash & Balt. area that I did not mention that were incredibly good at One Pocket. They all deserve their spot in pool history. Marvin Henderson is one who played around D.C. but he was a bit before my time. I was still influenced by him, indirectly.

Yes, Guys & Dolls was a great place to get an education in One Pocket. You could get broke there in more ways than one. It could be a rough place if you weren't careful. Jack & Jill held all the big tournaments. I saw so much action there it was like being in the trenches during WW1.

Let's get together soon,

Tom

bstroud

Verified Member
Another top spot was Guys & Dolls in Silverhill, MD.

Tom,

I hung there for a time probably before you. Wasn't it Chief that ran the place?
Lots of god players.

I played Beenie and Mataya there. Many others.

Bill S.

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
IMO Tom became the best onepocket player in MD. A great guy to talk to. I think it was the first DCC Tom I think came in 9th he lost to Parica in a close match. Tom correct me if I wrong.Tom also has a strong 9 ball game.He loves teaching pool. Dr.Bill you and Tom would be a great match. I'm betting on Tom in onepocket over you,but I 'm betting on you over Tom in 9ball. Close either way.

Hi Eddie,

Thanks for the bone but don't knock my action with Dr. Bill please. Just kidding. I had to give up on the DCC. I stopped playing much 9ball after injuring my shoulder in '96. It has never fully healed. The break takes a toll on it big time. So I had decided to play in only the banks and One Pocket divisions. The problem with that is you can't qualify for the over-all unless you play in all three, and from what I understand none of the rebuy cheese goes back into the individual tournaments. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I did pretty well in all six years of the O P with several hundred players participating I did no worse than seventeenth and as well as seventh a few times. My net was less than zero in any of those years. :(I loved playing that tournament but it has to be the most gruelling tournament out there due to the format. You never know who or when you might have to play.
Still I must say it was a lot of fun.:) Now I'm thinking of playing Tunica. Maybe.

Keep in touch,
Tom

Alfie Taylor

Verified Member
Before i read one answer...

Before i read one answer...

I want to say I looked and I looked and I don't EVER want to face it. Now, I'll read what the sharks say to do.
Keep it easier. Alfie

Jakie

Verified Member
From
Naples Fl
Guys and Dolls

Guys and Dolls

Another top spot was Guys & Dolls in Silverhill, MD.

Tom,

I hung there for a time probably before you. Wasn't it Chief that ran the place?
Lots of god players.

I played Beenie and Mataya there. Many others.

Bill S.

Bill - You are right about Chief (Jesse Saunders) he was partners with Sporty (can't remember his real name). Sporty was a big gambler and attracted a lot of action to the place. In 1969 I was hanging full-time in Guys and Dolls and starting to play decent. I was 18 at the time and had made a few small scores so I decided it was time for me to invest in my first custom cue. I didn't know any cue makers or how to find one. Buddy Dennis told me that he had two friends who made cues and that he would introduce me to you and Dan. I met you at Beenies place and ordered a cue and gave you a deposit . BEM with ebony points ,blue black and white veneers ,Irish linen wrap , ivory joint 2shafts w/ivory ferrules. 125.00 and you sent it to me in about 6 weeks. Great cue - I played with that cue for years and eventually sold it to Buck from DC who was another Guys and Dolls regular. I am thinking this had to have been one of your first cues. I remember watching you play back then and holding up pretty well for the cash. I don't post a lot but your post took me back to some great times.

Thanks

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Great Equalizer....

Great Equalizer....

Hi Eddie,

Thanks for the bone but don't knock my action with Dr. Bill please. Just kidding. I had to give up on the DCC. I stopped playing much 9ball after injuring my shoulder in '96. It has never fully healed. The break takes a toll on it big time. So I had decided to play in only the banks and One Pocket divisions. The problem with that is you can't qualify for the over-all unless you play in all three, and from what I understand none of the rebuy cheese goes back into the individual tournaments. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I did pretty well in all six years of the O P with several hundred players participating I did no worse than seventeenth and as well as seventh a few times. My net was less than zero in any of those years. :(I loved playing that tournament but it has to be the most gruelling tournament out there due to the format. You never know who or when you might have to play.
Still I must say it was a lot of fun.:) Now I'm thinking of playing Tunica. Maybe.

Keep in touch,
Tom

Tom, here's what I've done to those agressive/young nine baller type players that wanna play. Make a rule....''first shot after the break HAS to be a roll out'' no matter what the circumstances, unless you scratch. And if they do a soft break all the better, more are tied up, and if switch to ten ball, it's even more to our advantage.