Distractions

bobt64

Verified Member
From
Green Valley, AZ
I'm sure lots of you have dealt with this situation also, outside distractions effecting your play. Moved to AZ last month, sold a house in IL and bought a house in AZ and now have another house in AZ for sale. Seems like when I go to play have so much going on that my concentration is very weak. Have played ok at times and terrible at other times, I sure hope that once everything settles down I'll get back to feeling good about how I play. Just needed to blow off a little steam, thanks.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Never a dull moment!

Never a dull moment!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjrqs0gkuEQ
Ronnie is playing Keith McCready and Harry Platis and he has to shoot every other shot 1 handed, 5 ahead for a whole lot! enjoy the distractions!

bobt64, take a double shot of Jack Daniels. I hear the new Honey Jack is to die for, and you'd be surprised those distractions just go away! Just for fun anyway, is it not! Might as well join the party, tell your nerves settle down! Whitey

Last edited:

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjrqs0gkuEQ
Ronnie is playing Keith McCready and Harry Platis and he has to shoot every other shot 1 handed in a race to 5 for a whole lot! enjoy the distractions!

bobt64, take a double shot of Jack Daniels. I hear the new Honey Jack is to die for, and you'd be surprised those distractions just go away! Just for fun anyway, is it not! Might as well join the party, tell your nerves settle down! Whitey

Alternating from one handed to two handed was a favorite game for Ronnie. One of his moves would be to always shoot an easy shot one handed if they did not catch him shooting them more than once in a row. Then he could shoot the harder shots two handed.

Thanks for the video.

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
Distractions around the table don't bother me unless its something real bad. But if i'm going to play and something else is on my mind its tough. I think as i got older i don't multi task and think as well as i used to.

bobt64

Verified Member
From
Green Valley, AZ
I really expect that in a month or so things should be back closer to normal and I can again fully concentrate on my mediocre one pocket game. Thanks for the Jack suggestion but it's something I can no longer do.

Don't take me wrong, my game might not be the that good but I really do love playing it.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
I really expect that in a month or so things should be back closer to normal and I can again fully concentrate on my mediocre one pocket game. Thanks for the Jack suggestion but it's something I can no longer do.

Don't take me wrong, my game might not be the that good but I really do love playing it.
Except my apologizes, I should not of mentioned Jack to calm yourself and focus, I wish I had not made that comment. I am with you I can not do that anymore. I too have struggled with distractions, and you'd think I'd be use to them for I play league pool. I played in an era '69 -'73 mainly at the Palace, and it was all hustlers, and there could be a hundred people in there and you could hear a pin drop. So I've felt your pain of not being able to put out of mind the distractions, it can really get to me, and then putting on top of that your own demons, it does make pool challenging. Of course you love pool we all do, and the level you play at has nothing to do with how much one likes the game.
I do not believe I have seen you post before, I bid you welcome! Whitey

bobt64

Verified Member
From
Green Valley, AZ
No problem with the Jack comment at one time that may have been my first reaction, glad those days are over. Haven't really posted a lot, probably like a lot of other guys not my thing. Have enjoyed being on here and think it's really a great forum.

BrookelandBilly

Verified Member
From
Fair Oaks Ranch, Texas
I'm sure lots of you have dealt with this situation also, outside distractions effecting your play. Moved to AZ last month, sold a house in IL and bought a house in AZ and now have another house in AZ for sale. Seems like when I go to play have so much going on that my concentration is very weak. Have played ok at times and terrible at other times, I sure hope that once everything settles down I'll get back to feeling good about how I play. Just needed to blow off a little steam, thanks.

It may be fatigue. I know that when I’m tiring that I play sloppy and it compounds the problem. It happened to me yesterday. I played for 4 hours and I was tired the last two games of one pocket and lost to a weaker player. I blame it on playing golf in 95° two days in a row and recovering from the heat at age 71.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Hi Bobt64,
I have been noticing there is a symbol under category, 'Rating', by some threads, and when you run your mouse over it, it lists how many attachments. Your thread I attached two videos, plus on many of my own threads I have attached videos. So, I was wondering what the symbol does mean, if not attachments? I clicked on it and it went, as it seemed, going back in history of threads, that must be special or something. I think there might be less views if the viewers do not realized there is an attachment!

I hope you have enjoyed the videos. On post #2 Video, I should of titled it; You mean distractions like this? Every time I watch this I crack up laughing.
On post #5 Ronnie is putting it to them in the video, playing very well. I believe this is very rare footage!

In the members only tournament I was determined to have fun in my matches, and I believe I played much better because of this, and I really had a great time, and my devastating anxiety never pop up its ugly head. Maybe worth a try if you are not already doing this. Whitey

youngstown

Verified Member
Distractions

I’ve noticed I play worse pool or golf when I’m running late. If I can get there early then I’m more relaxed. I think this is more important than what else was on my mind, as I can usually focus. However that rushed feeling of anxiety doesn’t go away easily for me.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Distractions

I’ve noticed I play worse pool or golf when I’m running late. If I can get there early then I’m more relaxed. I think this is more important than what else was on my mind, as I can usually focus. However that rushed feeling of anxiety doesn’t go away easily for me.

I agree with this a million percent. Or if I’m shooting pool and my wife calls... it’s usually over for me lol. I also have a distraction problem with “Rabbit Ears”. I hear a conversation 20 feet away while I’m shooting and let it distract me. So dumb.