Mike Surber vs. Cliff Joyner 2007 D.C.C.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
SJDinPHX said:
If you close your right eye, and the quarter stays centered...you are left eye dominant...
I took the test, and discovered that I'm left eye dominant. I'll be damned. I always assumed that I was right eye dominant. Now it makes sense why I'm more accurate when I turn my head a little to the right while aiming a longer shot.

And Red told me how to post a picture! There's no telling WHAT a guy can learn on this forum...:)

Doc

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
One Pocket Ghost said:
Yep, me too..I much prefer shooting a medium to long shot, using draw, to the left side pocket....strangely though, if I'm using follow, then the pocket doesn't matter to me...:confused:
I've noticed that I'm more consistent, for example, shooting spot shots to the left pocket in contrast to the right pocket. I'm right handed. It seems to me that when shooting to the left pocket, I'm shooting with the angle; whereas shooting to the right pocket, I'm shooting across the angle.

Doc

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
doc i did dicks test and i am left eye dominant also. if you read my post spot shots to the left pocket are easier for me too. must be the eye dominance thing.
i guess that means when we are down on the shot the cue should come under our left eye???

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
SJDinPHX said:
Place a quarter on the floor, and stand up...at about your belt level, form a circle with your thumb, and first finger...KEEPING BOTH EYES OPEN, (important)...sight down through the circle you've made, till you've centered the quarter....Now close your left eye, if the quarter stays where it is, you are right eye dominant.
If you close your right eye, and the quarter stays centered...you are left eye dominant...if the quarter moves out of sight,(to your left)... when you close your right eye again...you have confirmed that you are right eye dominant.

I don't have a quarter, does this work with a nickel? :confused: :eek:

SJDinPHX

Suspended
No Comprhrende !!!

No Comprhrende !!!

Preference at shooting a spot shot in either the right or left pocket, is a personal thing I guess. But there should be no argument which is more accessable.

For a right handed player, shooting from the right side of the table, to the L.H. pocket, is by far the more awkward stance. For people of average hgt., your left thigh is close to, or up against the table, and you are shooting across your body. a comfortable bridge can be hampered by the rail, and if your cue is 6" off the side rail, the corner may also be am impedent (on some tables.)

Whereas, a right hander, can take a normal stance with no hinderance at all, when approching the spot shot from the left side of the table, and shooting at the R.H pocket. You are wide open, with comfortable access.

It is exactly the opposite for a lefty... Try it, you should instantly see the point I'm trying to make.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
SJDinPHX said:
Preference at shooting a spot shot in either the right or left pocket, is a personal thing I guess. But there should be no argument which is more accessable.

For a right handed player, shooting from the right side of the table, to the L.H. pocket, is by far the more awkward stance. For people of average hgt., your left thigh is close to, or up against the table, and you are shooting across your body. a comfortable bridge can be hampered by the rail, and if your cue is 6" off the side rail, the corner may also be am impedent (on some tables.)

Whereas, a right hander, can take a normal stance with no hinderance at all, when approching the spot shot from the left side of the table, and shooting at the R.H pocket. You are wide open, with comfortable access.

It is exactly the opposite for a lefty... Try it, you should instantly see the point I'm trying to make.

That's one of the reasons I break for that pocket, shooting across you body comes up in many situations not only this one.:) sorry PJ
Rod.

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
SJDinPHX said:

that's interesting stuff. I"m right handed and have a left dominent eye, and when I break, I always break to the left pocket, if I have a choice. As I sit here wondering why I do that... I came up with a few things. I'm more comfortable shooting with inside english, when the "inside" is on the left side of the center of the cueball. If that makes any sense. I also break 9 ball from the right side.

Does anyone else have this "issue"?

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
i started a new thread on eye dominance to continue this discussion if anyone wants to continue.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
CaliRed said:
that's interesting stuff. I"m right handed and have a left dominent eye, and when I break, I always break to the left pocket, if I have a choice. As I sit here wondering why I do that... I came up with a few things. I'm more comfortable shooting with inside english, when the "inside" is on the left side of the center of the cueball. If that makes any sense. I also break 9 ball from the right side.

Does anyone else have this "issue"?

Greg, right or left eye dominate is more about how you aim or which eye is over the cue. Not about which pocket at which you shoot. Below is an example. Picture walking up to cut the 9 ball into pocket you break toward. This will give you another reason to consider which pocket to break towards.
Rod.
PS; Of course if you shoot well offhanded or with a crutch it probably won't matter.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3AVHl4BCpA3CFSK3DAUk4EKjC3FChe4GBjO4HAMA4IAWd3JYeg4KEMO3LBKO3MPfr4NBal3OCwl4PJCS3QIUT@[/CUETABLE]

Last edited: