DCC Action Award -- the guys that logged days!

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
The Louis Roberts Action/Entertainment Award at Derby City goes out to the person -- player, backer, instigator -- that generates the most action & entertainment, in the spirit of Louis Roberts.

The criteria, and who can & how to vote for the award

The report about last year's winner (Chris Bartrum)

I spent time in the action room several times a day every day I was at the Derby shooting photos of the guys (and women, and kids) that I saw in action. You can see the whole collection of photos (more are being added every day) here:

DCC Action Room Gallery

In my opinion, one of the guys you see in those pics should win this award -- they worked their butts off.

Many of you that missed the Derby followed the action via the live streaming of The Action Report. It's a wonderful thing they are doing, and I am glad you guys that stayed home got a glimpse of the action, but it just is not the same as being there.

Also, not pictured above, but our own Grady Mathews was in a ton of action all week and would be deserving! Likewise Billy Incardona -- he would be deserving. And of course Shane Van Boening, who had at least three nice big matches (all of which were well covered by The Action Report).

If you were there at the Derby City yourself and paid attention to the action, then be sure to vote for this award! If you weren't, then next year, get your butts on down to Louisville!!

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Lets not overrate Shane for the Action Award

Lets not overrate Shane for the Action Award

I was at the Derby myself for a week, and I was real impressed with seeing Shane up most of two nights for two great sets, but how many sets did he actually get into in there? I saw three sets, and at least two or three other nights that he didn't go in the room at all -- resting up for the tournament I would say. I might have missed something, but not much.

Any of you guys that saw the room through the Action Report Eyes only, I think you got a skewed view -- no offense to the Action Report, but they focused on one table, not the whole room. You guys saw a lot of Shane, but in the room, it was definitely not just the Shane show. In fact, I believe there were at least 10 players in more action than Shane -- and it was good entertaining action. Some of these guys are quiet, like Shane is quiet, but they didn't get the Action Report cameras turned on them every time they matched up like Shane did. Others definitely create more of a stir in the room every time they are there by virtue of their outgoing personality. No offense to Shane, but he's no Louie Roberts in personality -- he's more in the mold of Nick Varner in that regard.

Grady, Justin Cone, and this kid -- and others -- were more involved every day, IMO:

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
NH Steve said:
I was at the Derby myself for a week, and I was real impressed with seeing Shane up most of two nights for two great sets, but how many sets did he actually get into in there? I saw three sets, and at least two or three other nights that he didn't go in the room at all -- resting up for the tournament I would say. I might have missed something, but not much.

Any of you guys that saw the room through the Action Report Eyes only, I think you got a skewed view -- no offense to the Action Report, but they focused on one table, not the whole room. You guys saw a lot of Shane, but in the room, it was definitely not just the Shane show. In fact, I believe there were at least 10 players in more action than Shane -- and it was good entertaining action. Some of these guys are quiet, like Shane is quiet, but they didn't get the Action Report cameras turned on them every time they matched up like Shane did. Others definitely create more of a stir in the room every time they are there by virtue of their outgoing personality. No offense to Shane, but he's no Louie Roberts in personality -- he's more in the mold of Nick Varner in that regard.

Grady, Justin Cone, and this kid -- and others -- were more involved every day, IMO:

Steve, I agree 100% with all that you said....Also, Richie Richeson was another guy gambling it up. The kid in your pic is 'Scooter' and more than anybody else, he's in there every day and night generating action and betting high.

Last edited:

Grady

Verified Member
From
Columbia, SC
My gambling matches at the DCC

My gambling matches at the DCC

I actually played five sets, one for $500 which I won, two for $10,000 each, which I won and two for $4,000 each and I lost both of them. If anyone would like similar action, they can find me at my new room in Lexington, SC.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Nice win over "The Roadman", Justin Cone. I was wondering when you were going to go ahead and finish him off! You have a flare for the crowd...:D Good to see you back in action, podna!

Doc

demonrho

Verified Member
From
SoCal
One Pocket Ghost said:
...The kid in your pic is 'Scooter' and more than anybody else, he's in there every day and night generating action and betting high.

Here's Scooter in action last year at the Derby getting the hand spot from Scott Frost in 1P:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eX1jmGbpnPU[/ame]

yobagua

Grady said:
I actually played five sets, one for $500 which I won, two for $10,000 each, which I won and two for $4,000 each and I lost both of them. If anyone would like similar action, they can find me at my new room in Lexington, SC.
Hmm. I spoke to one of the participants with the Squirrel/McAbee match and he said they lost 4K to you. Did you forget that one?

Shag_Fu

Verified Member
Grady-
I watched most of your match with squirrel and it was very educational. You played very intelligent one pocket. You didnt take a lot of flyers like most of the younger generation of one-pocket player(myself). Your backer seemed to appreciate that as well. He commented at one point that are were playing good and tight by not taking overly risky shots. One of the young men betting on squirrel complained that he was dumping. Thanks for a good matchup of old school one-pocket.