hall of fame

Ross Keith Thompson

Verified Member
From
madisonville, texas
Greg Stevens, John "DUKE" Dowel, "TALL JEFF" Sparks, Jim Rempe, Luther "WIMPY" Lassiter, Joey Spaith, Cole Dickson, Irving Crane, Jimmy Marino and others shouldn't they be in some kind of hall of fame?

I played all of them except Rempe and I wanted to test him!

Greg Stevens was arguably one of a few greats, devastating niner, solid one holer, great straight pool I assume, solid 3 cushion, solid snooker and I assume bumper pool, haha.

For Pete sake shouldn't Irving Crane be in somebody's HALL OF FAME.

Eddie Burton would get my vote for the hall, nasty at all games.

Houston's home grown "THE DUKE" Dowel, nasty at all games.

"TALL JEFF, top five niner back in the day, nasty at all games.

Cole Dickson, top ten niner back in the day, couldn't spell one pocket but who cares, nasty at everything else! Should be in someone's hall.

Maybe I missed him in the one pocket hall but Luther Wimpy Lassiter, come on, he is a no doubter in straight pool, nine ball and one pocket!

Joey Spaith, I don't get this, his brother is in the hall but he is not, watched him play in Johnston City, great all around player, better than his brother, I played him in the nine ball division twice, semi final and final. Very impressive!

Jimmy Marino, devastating niner back in the day, won the all around at Johnston City in 71, evidently he played all games well, any player that won the all around at Johnston City back in the day or Stardust tourney was no chump! They were marathon tournaments and nobody got lucky except me, LOL!

If some of these great players don't get in someone's hall, I would like to see some one do a short story about each one so they're never forgotten, like an HONORABLE MENTION SECTION.

It would be cool to have their picture posted on this site and when they played their best years and their strongest game if possible.

Some of these guys are running out of time, and will be forgotten! Don't let that happen. FIX IT!

Also their are more of them!

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Gary Spaeth was Joey's son. Both incredible players!

Both were also terrible losses for the sport.

You can see a picture of both of them in the picture that's on Gary's HOF page:

(Gary in the front and his father to the back right hand side)

But agreed on the HOF request :)

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Lassiter, Crane and Rempe are all in the BCA Hall of Fame. Even though both Rempe and Lassiter won One Pocket tournaments, as far as I know neither of them embraced the game to the point that they were ambassadors for it, and since they have already been well recognized for their all-around excellence by the BCA HOF, I don't see the need to include them in the One Pocket HOF, even if they could play it at a top level. That's my opinion anyway.

But the other players you mention, even if they don't get sufficient support for either the One Pocket HOF or the BCA HOF, it is still great to remember them. And, anytime someone like you who was there to see them play in their prime, writes about them, then that is a good start to remembering them!!

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Lassiter, Crane and Rempe are all in the BCA Hall of Fame. Even though both Rempe and Lassiter won One Pocket tournaments, as far as I know neither of them embraced the game to the point that they were ambassadors for it, and since they have already been well recognized for their all-around excellence by the BCA HOF, I don't see the need to include them in the One Pocket HOF, even if they could play it at a top level. That's my opinion anyway.

But the other players you mention, even if they don't get sufficient support for either the One Pocket HOF or the BCA HOF, it is still great to remember them. And, anytime someone like you who was there to see them play in their prime, writes about them, then that is a good start to remembering them!!

I loved watching Greg Stevens play, especially on a snooker table. I understand that he played one pocket very well -- how could he not? -- but I never got to see it. 9 ball 10 ball, fuggedaboudit.... bring 'em all (for the first 3 days. :heh )