Scott's Play On 2nd Night Of Match

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
Alex was hung over the second day. It doesn't take much for the little guy. He needs to use a shot glass for a beer mug.

stedyfred

Verified Member
I am not saying this to be a wise guy but I asked about Scott's play rather than Alex prep for night 2. There is no WWYD thread that will let you know how good he played especially the 1st 5 games of night 2. Maybe you will be aware of it when you see it again. Take care.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I only got to watch two nights play, and neither of them were complete nights, and I am not even sure if I watched the 2nd night. But what I saw when I watched was that both of them ran balls really really well considering by all accounts the table was tight-pocket. Off the top of my head if someone asked me I would say one or the other of them ran 8 or more and out about half of the games the whole match -- that's pretty stellar! The difference in the match in my opinion was that Scott made a handful more mistakes (unforced) than Alex did -- whether that was when they were on offense (maybe where Scott made a few more of his mistakes as I saw it), or on defense.

I saw on Facebook some chatter that some people thought Alex was supposed to roll over Scott much easier, and since he did not, that the match was fixed or Alex was easing up or something (honest-to-God, that is the kind of thing people said). I guess they expect Alex to be perfect in his shot selections and perfect in his execution every time he is at the table. And he only was 98.9% of the time, whereas Scott only was 98.3%.

I think that is part of the beauty of One Pocket -- it is a lot more like Chambers Bay than your local putt-putt joint in terms of the hazards that you have to deal with. And unlike golf, it is not so much the course that is the problem, it is the situations that your opponent is leaving you -- along with the pressure from the opponent who is lurking at the edge of the table ready to seize upon the slightest weakness in your execution as you try to navigate the table.

I know I was very impressed at the number of do-or-die shots to the pocket during runouts that Scott buried over and over, despite the acknowledged top shooter in the world lurking ready to take over in the event of a miss. Scott shot very well under that kind of pressure I thought.

stedyfred

Verified Member
Everyone sees the ball running, many people could also see that Alex was not at the top of his game for whatever reason. Do you realize that BOTH players were in the stack area for what seemed like an eternity ( at least 7 or 8 shots apiece consecutively). Please do yourself a favor and go back and check SCOTT'S play during those 1st 5 games and you may learn a lot about HIS level of play.

#Cruncher

Verified Member
What were the pocket sizes? Standard Pro-cut Diamond, or a little tighter (4 1/4)?