cincy_kid gets eaten by The Lion

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
don't get down on yourself, i see you have some game, i would be very nervous like you were, playing him...... watching your stroke, i wonder if youve ever thought of a pause before your last stroke ala buddy or jb? i think it would really help your game if you learned to incorporate that......

do you mean pause at the backswing before the final forward swing (buddy was an exaggerated example sp ?)
or pause at set ( meaning warm up strokes ....ok now i am ready to shoot,,,,backswing shoot)

Cory in dc

Verified Member
do you mean pause at the backswing before the final forward swing (buddy was an exaggerated example sp ?)
or pause at set ( meaning warm up strokes ....ok now i am ready to shoot,,,,backswing shoot)

I think everyone means a pause at the end before the final forward stroke. I'm working on that and find that my accuracy is higher with a consistent pause. But it may spurious: because pausing isn't natural for me, I'm paying more attention when I'm working on that. It *might* be the greater attention to what I'm doing rather than the pause that helps. Or both.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
I think everyone means a pause at the end before the final forward stroke. I'm working on that and find that my accuracy is higher with a consistent pause. But it may spurious: because pausing isn't natural for me, I'm paying more attention when I'm working on that. It *might* be the greater attention to what I'm doing rather than the pause that helps. Or both.

think of the archer
they dont pull back and fire
they pull back
lock in
and fire
jmho
the back swing should not equal the speed of the forward swing
jmho
icbw

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
I have always thought that the stroke begins when you start forward. Everything else is just getting ready to fire. For myself, I find that my take-away, if you will, is not always straight back, and when that happens I can tell I'm out of line and need to make a correction in the stroke. That's nearly always an error and the stroke should have been aborted, but sometimes I do it anyway. If I pause at the top I can reload if I'm out of line - something I never did before. It is quite possible to line up a shot and then get out of line as you take the cue away.

GoldCrown

Verified Member
You will only get better as you move along. It took courage to enter that tourney and play guys like Alex. Feel good about the event.
And definitely pause... because.

poolisboring

Verified Member
From
toledo
do you mean pause at the backswing before the final forward swing (buddy was an eczagerated sp ?)

Pause before final stroke like buddy or mc aninch or jb

poolisboring

Verified Member
From
toledo
I have always thought that the stroke begins when you start forward. Everything else is just getting ready to fire. For myself, I find that my take-away, if you will, is not always straight back, and when that happens I can tell I'm out of line and need to make a correction in the stroke. That's nearly always an error and the stroke should have been aborted, but sometimes I do it anyway. If I pause at the top I can reload if I'm out of line - something I never did before. It is quite possible to line up a shot and then get out of line as you take the cue away.

That's what I'm talking bout-- Chris, if you do decide to try this be aware, it will take some time to get it down-- it's not a natural feeling at first but you certainly can get there.... I would you tube some pros that u admire and watch the accuracy and consistency of their stroke-- not all use that pause stroke, but many do......

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri

Some very good players take the cue back off-line, but are able to straighten out on the final forward stroke. Seems to me that would be worth correcting, but, maybe if it ain't broke, don't fix it. :confused:

youngstown

Verified Member

I recently incorporated a pause (along with a few other changes). Let me tell you it was not easy. I'm still not consistent with it. I feel like I shouldn't comment too much on stroke analytics, as that should be left to the instructors. I have a friend who is an instructor so I would not want to give out free advice but instead could give a referral if needed. However, if you have the resources to make a stroke change (which is time time time and maybe some $ if you went the route of getting a lesson), be prepared to take steps backwards for a week or two. When I made the change that included a pause it was very dramatic. Including a paused really disrupted my rhythm and speed control until I put in enough time to get used to it. It definitely is worth it, if you want to improve though, IMO. If your stroke breaks down on hard shots, it could very well be improved in that area by having a pause. If you miss shots occasionally that are easy but touchy speed wise it could be related to that as well. I would recommend booking some time with a top instructor. Why? Because life is too short to figure everything out on your own! I tried for a long time and I'd like to think I'm pretty smart. However, I could never figure out why I couldn't avoid misses on certain types of shots. It wasn't my aiming breaking down. It was my stroke! Your stroke is very hard to fix on your own. Why? Because you can't see it. How do you know what to fix if you can't see it? (End rant. Sorry if that was too preachy. I just wish I didn't wait 15 years between lessons!!!)

Last edited:

wgcp

Verified Member
From
long beach, mississippi
If you want to see an effective pause stroke...watch Brumback hit balls...same exacting stroke every time...almost the same speed...

B

youngstown

Verified Member

If you want to see an effective pause stroke...watch Brumback hit balls...same exacting stroke every time...almost the same speed...

B

John Morra is another great example.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Thanks again guys for the advice on the pause. I for sure notice JB doing it and I am sure some others would come to mind too. The problem is I don't have much table time so I think what I will do is continue doing what I am doing and try to focus on slowing the stroke down a bit especially near the end as John suggested. Because now, when I do get a few hours to go play, I would rather get in action than practice. Then whenever I get my own table again, I will have plenty of time to practice this and other things so I can try to improve my game/stroke.

jalapus logan

Verified Member
Nice experince Cincy, thanks for sharing.

As for pausing on the stroke, I know a lot of great and pro players do that, but some do not. Warren Kiamco is one that does not seem to have much if any pause. I guess we can all use improvement, but maybe a pause is not necessary for all players?

Be well,

Neil

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Nice experince Cincy, thanks for sharing.

As for pausing on the stroke, I know a lot of great and pro players do that, but some do not. Warren Kiamco is one that does not seem to have much if any pause. I guess we can all use improvement, but maybe a pause is not necessary for all players?

Be well,

Neil

Thanks Neil! Yea, I have seen many that don't pause but I am also open to things that may improve my play :)

PS - we need to connect again at JB's or Michael's. Still pretty busy here but hopefully a weekend in March I can make it happen, let me know!

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
John, your point is well taken. Again, from my days in bowling, I have told many students that if you can do it the same way every time, you can learn to be a fairly competent performer.

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Chris,

I just looked at your clip w/the Lion. I think if you made that bank after making a nice shot, you would have won that game and who knows what happens next. You had him, man. It's funny, but last year I had trouble with those short angle banks on that equipment, too. I wonder what was different? I don't play enough to know.

Again, he was yours but you let him get away. So in the future simply put into practice the 3 D's: Don't Do Dat! :)

Dave

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Chris,

I just looked at your clip w/the Lion. I think if you made that bank after making a nice shot, you would have won that game and who knows what happens next. You had him, man. It's funny, but last year I had trouble with those short angle banks on that equipment, too. I wonder what was different? I don't play enough to know.

Again, he was yours but you let him get away. So in the future simply put into practice the 3 D's: Don't Do Dat! :)

Dave

Thanks Dave :) I don't know if I would have won the game if I made that bank but I feel like I would have gotten a few more balls. Really, what I should have done was when I shot that first ball, hit it a little harder and come back up for the 11 instead of the bank and saved the bank when I got out of line...but you live and learn right?

As far as the banks coming up short, I would say partially because of what someone else posted in another thread. Maybe your adrenaline is pumping and you hit it a little too hard and the ball ends up stiffing...who knows. If I was going to shoot the bank again I would have used some high RHE instead and played it pocket speed...

Also, good point on the follow through Bill. You always follow through no matter what sport you are doing (baseball bat swing, tennis racket swing, etc.) so doing it in pool is just as important. I remember I used to do practice drills where I made sure after shooting the shot that my tip was touching the table to promote a better follow through. This is when I was playing more 9 ball so I think some of the "touch" shots or bunts I play in 1p has ruined my stroke a bit ;)

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
Thanks Dave :) I don't know if I would have won the game if I made that bank but I feel like I would have gotten a few more balls. Really, what I should have done was when I shot that first ball, hit it a little harder and come back up for the 11 instead of the bank and saved the bank when I got out of line...but you live and learn right?

As far as the banks coming up short, I would say partially because of what someone else posted in another thread. Maybe your adrenaline is pumping and you hit it a little too hard and the ball ends up stiffing...who knows. If I was going to shoot the bank again I would have used some high RHE instead and played it pocket speed...

Also, good point on the follow through Bill. You always follow through no matter what sport you are doing (baseball bat swing, tennis racket swing, etc.) so doing it in pool is just as important. I remember I used to do practice drills where I made sure after shooting the shot that my tip was touching the table to promote a better follow through. This is when I was playing more 9 ball so I think some of the "touch" shots or bunts I play in 1p has ruined my stroke a bit ;)
If you are talikng about that first cross corner you missed, I was hitting them short that way in NOLA. I was very frustrated. I have since learned that it was my aiming/ball striking more than the Diamond table. English had nothing to do with it. JMO

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
If you are talikng about that first cross corner you missed, I was hitting them short that way in NOLA. I was very frustrated. I have since learned that it was my aiming/ball striking more than the Diamond table. English had nothing to do with it. JMO

Yea that one...you are probably right John about my aiming. I figure if I would have used RHE and pocket speed though, if I missed it would be harder for him to escape.