Seconditis

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
I have played quite a bit lately tuning up for the tourney in SoCal at James & Stephanie Boch's home. I played in three local tounaments the last three weeks. 38 players at Hard Times Sacramento, 20 players at CA Billiards Fremont and an 8 man round robin yesterday again at CA Billiards.

I placed second in all three, which is nice, but I actually felt I should have won at least two of them. With me it is mental fatigue at the end of the tournament. These are all races to two so there is quite a bit of concentration needed to make it as far as I do. I just go brain dead at the end. Is this getting to be a bad habit?

I have tried drinking coffee and even tried some Cheqio pills that are supposedly being used by quite few of the pros in pool and other sports to sharpen your concentration. My physical skills are pretty much still there, but where can I find the fountain of youth for my brain. It's not like I used it too much in 77 years.:D

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
I had a friend once who spent a bunch of time in Nam and that area of the world. He got picked to be on the TV game Scrabble. He stopped drinking for a month and ate tons of Chinese/Asian food. He swore it would help with memory and stress. He won 25K...which was a lot for that show.
My mother is a genius, 83 now and reads 6 books a week plus word games on the computer etc. She is very lucid and still triple smart. Gotta work that mind so it doesn't set up. Unfortunately none of that was passed down to me.

poolisboring

Verified Member
From
toledo
I had a friend once who spent a bunch of time in Nam and that area of the world. He got picked to be on the TV game Scrabble. He stopped drinking for a month and ate tons of Chinese/Asian food. He swore it would help with memory and stress. He won 25K...which was a lot for that show.
My mother is a genius, 83 now and reads 6 books a week plus word games on the computer etc. She is very lucid and still triple smart. Gotta work that mind so it doesn't set up. Unfortunately none of that was passed down to me.
thats one of many reasons why i play chess, and of course i play several musical instruments which is a good physical workout and mentally very challenging to me......

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
I have played quite a bit lately tuning up for the tourney in SoCal at James & Stephanie Boch's home. I played in three local tounaments the last three weeks. 38 players at Hard Times Sacramento, 20 players at CA Billiards Fremont and an 8 man round robin yesterday again at CA Billiards.

I placed second in all three, which is nice, but I actually felt I should have won at least two of them. With me it is mental fatigue at the end of the tournament. These are all races to two so there is quite a bit of concentration needed to make it as far as I do. I just go brain dead at the end. Is this getting to be a bad habit?

I have tried drinking coffee and even tried some Cheqio pills that are supposedly being used by quite few of the pros in pool and other sports to sharpen your concentration. My physical skills are pretty much still there, but where can I find the fountain of youth for my brain. It's not like I used it too much in 77 years.:D

Going braindead at the end sucks. "Almost" sucks.
You keep thinking, "What if I'd made that one" or "What if I hadn't tried [whatever]"

My system avoids all that.

I go braindead at the beginning. Works like a charm. Haven't suffered an "almost" since I started deploying it. :p

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.

In the world of bowling, when I was finally through with it, I had the nagging feeling that I should have done better in several singles events in which I had made the finals and then suffered a letdown and failed to win a title. Looking back, (which is much too late), I think it showed a lack of the necessary drive at the end. It is too easy to decide you have already had a good tourney, when the truth is you haven't had shit if you don't finish it. A finals match is a whole new event, and should be regarded that way. Both satisfaction and fatigue must be put aside for later. That's what I decided, anyway. In doubles and team competition, my approach just seemed to be much better and more successful. It's like sex, if you will. Subconsciously you save up enough strength to see you through those last nine strokes.

Done and done

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Of all the iticies you could catch, I think second itis isnt so bad. You could be at the doctors with some unknown iticies. With this clearly designated second itis, they is no worry. Do you think you catch it from sitting on the hot seat so long? The next tournament is only three players and you have dominated them for years, and they are So-Cal boys. No chance against NOR-CAL:heh:heh

Last edited:

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Of all the iticies you could catch, I think second itis isnt so bad. You could be at the doctors with some unknown iticies, with this clearly designated second itis, they is no worry. Do you think you catch it from sitting on the hot seat so long? The next tournament is only three players and you have dominated them for years, and they are So-Cal boys. No chance against NOR-CAL:heh:heh

Lets see: Phil and I broke even the only time we ever played, Wayne beat me and Frank and I have never played one pocket.

Not exactly dominating.

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO

If you help me with my "one out of the money"itis, I will help you with you problems of finishing 2nd.

Nice playing by the way and have a blast in So CA. I will be rooting for you.

DAve

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas

Potassium. Eat a banana. Sugar. Eat a snickers. One Alcapulco turnaround might do the trick also, of course you'd have to have some action lined up for after the tournament...:D. You probably don't remember those, do you? They were sometimes called black mollies... Take one and you could drive from LA to Alcapulco, turnaround and drive back to LA.. and play for a day or two...:)

Pretty good shootin there old man...

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Potassium. Eat a banana. Sugar. Eat a snickers. One Alcapulco turnaround might do the trick also, of course you'd have to have some action lined up for after the tournament...:D. You probably don't remember those, do you? They were sometimes called black mollies... Take one and you could drive from LA to Alcapulco, turnaround and drive back to LA.. and play for a day or two...:)

Pretty good shootin there old man...

I do remember them. A long haul trucker friend of mine was in with me at the original Hard Times, which was a 24 hour joint. When I was starting to fade after a day or so he handed something to me. When I asked him what it was he said it would get you to New York and back.:D