Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2011, 06:04 PM
Verified Member

Default Why do the call the game off one pocket one pocket.

Thier are two pockets used too play the game. Wouldnt the correct name be pocket apeace.

Who was the person that gave the game its name One Pocket.

What if both players played one pocket and the both had the same pocket.

That would be a one pocket game.

I never herd who gave the name to the game . One pocket.

Is thier such a person. I dont no if anyone can figure this one out.

We all no its thier. But who named it. One pocket.

Just thought I would bring it up too see what kind off information is out thier.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:48 PM
Verified Member

Artie, 'pocket apeace', when spelled a little differently, is another name for the game of one-pocket. Many older players called it by that name. Maybe not as old as you and the Desert Duck, but still pretty old.

The current name, 'one-pocket', originated in the village of Barleycorn, Utah, around 1924. A guy named Rudy Ferguson, perhaps the best player of all time, usually ran eight and out in his first inning at the table. One day Pete Gomez, the ace commentator of all Utah, commented to Vern Skillet that since only one pocket was in use when he played, they just as well call it one pocket, so that's what they did. And we still do. A statue of Ferguson, carved from a cocobolo tree with beautiful grain, still stands in the courtsquare of Barleycorn, facing Tincup Billiards across the street. It is a great tourist attraction. Glad you asked.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:35 PM
Verified Member

Two Pocket just sorta sounded gay! JK
Old 05-11-2011, 11:13 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapros
Artie, 'pocket apeace', when spelled a little differently, is another name for the game of one-pocket. Many older players called it by that name. Maybe not as old as you and the Desert Duck, but still pretty old.

The current name, 'one-pocket', originated in the village of Barleycorn, Utah, around 1924. A guy named Rudy Ferguson, perhaps the best player of all time, usually ran eight and out in his first inning at the table. One day Pete Gomez, the ace commentator of all Utah, commented to Vern Skillet that since only one pocket was in use when he played, they just as well call it one pocket, so that's what they did. And we still do. A statue of Ferguson, carved from a cocobolo tree with beautiful grain, still stands in the courtsquare of Barleycorn, facing Tincup Billiards across the street. It is a great tourist attraction. Glad you asked.
Breaking and running eight is pretty tough. Did he play power one pocket and break them wide open? I like to call it one pocket because the other guy has no chance at his pocket.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:34 AM
Verified Member

Quote:

Vapros,

Do what? I can never tell when you are serious or just leg pulling!
Old 05-11-2011, 11:43 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeman
Vapros,

Do what? I can never tell when you are serious or just leg pulling!
Has he ever been serious ?
Old 05-11-2011, 12:07 PM
Verified Member

Deeman, please refer to Androd's reply. I guess you are correct- a lot of my stuff is pretty dim and nebulous, but things get pretty slow down here on the river. I hear it may get more exciting soon, when the high water comes. I have picked out one of the emoticons to attach to my baloney from now on.

To be honest (and why not?) I'm not sure about the part about the cocobolo wood. Could be just a local myth among the Mormons. All them cuemakers never let the cocobolo trees get big enough to carve statues. Be well.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:10 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Deeman, please refer to Androd's reply. I guess you are correct- a lot of my stuff is pretty dim and nebulous, but things get pretty slow down here on the river. I hear it may get more exciting soon, when the high water comes.

To be honest (and why not?) I'm not sure about the part about the cocobolo wood. Could be just a local myth among the Mormons. All them cuemakers never let the cocobolo trees get big enough to carve statues. Be well.
Keep your powder dry son !
Old 05-11-2011, 12:31 PM
Verified Member

Funny, I have a table from the late 1700's that I got in Europe a few years ago! A "friend" told me, "You know how many butts I could get out of that table?"

I don't think DeeWoman would understand!

DeeMan
Old 05-11-2011, 12:48 PM
Verified Member

Quote:

Thanks to your reply. I never new that. I was thinking maybe nobody new who called it one pocket and why.

Thats a great explination you gave. I never new thay. And I realy never carried.

Tell lnwe when I asket. And Im glade thier is a answer. Howe ment people playing in the one pocket tournement no this.

I would guess maybe 4 people no this. But nowe since you but it up thier the number will be higher.

But thanks again.