1961 and 1962 Johnston City articles up

onepocket

Administrator
Staff member
I've just finished posting articles from Chalk Up! that cover the first two years of the Jansco Brother's Johnston City tournaments. Chalk Up! was a newsletter put out by AE Schmidt for room owners. This material was very generously sent in by Frank Brent -- Thanks, Frank!

http://onepocket.org/ChalkUp.htm

You will notice the '63-'65 page is not finished yet -- but it will be coming soon!

Very interesting to see their early One Pocket rules -- that pre-date the BCA rules by 5-6 years!

JAM

Verified Member
For the Inquiring Mind...

For the Inquiring Mind...

Holy Mackeral, all the way from 1962. How generous of Frank Brent to contribute these articles. Great read!

I noticed in the article there were two fellows from Washington, D.C., named Bill Spaton and Earl Schriver. I don't mean to not give credence to these champion pool players, but can somebody please provide a little info on who these pool phenoms were? Being a native Washingtonian, the only Earl Schriver I have heard of owns a car dealership.

JAM

BackPocket9Ball

Verified Member
From
Philadelphia
I think that Earl Schriver was life-long road player, based on what I have read about him.

It's not Bill "Spaton"; it's Bill "Staton", also known as Weanie Beenie. I'm sure Keith knows him. He owned the biggest action room in the DC area from what I have heard -- back in the 60s and 70s. I think he lives near Myrtle Beach, South Carolina now and is pushing 80 years old.

hemicudas

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Miss.
onepocket said:
I've just finished posting articles from Chalk Up! that cover the first two years of the Jansco Brother's Johnston City tournaments. Chalk Up! was a newsletter put out by AE Schmidt for room owners. This material was very generously sent in by Frank Brent -- Thanks, Frank!

You will notice the '63-'65 page is not finished yet -- but it will be coming soon!

Very interesting to see their early One Pocket rules -- that pre-date the BCA rules by 5-6 years!

Thanks, Steve. That photo is awesome. The misspelling of Weanie Beanie's name in the photo is truly Pauliesque, lol.

JAM

Verified Member
Weenie Beanie

Weenie Beanie

The "Bill Spaton" threw me off. Although it was a little bit before my entrance into the pool world, I have heard many tales about Jack and Jill's in Seven Corners, Virginia. He not only owned that pool room, full of action 24/7, but he also had a chain of hot dog trolleys sprinkled throughout Northern Virginia. I remember those yummy hot dogs as a young girl, always begging my parents to stop there on the way home! :p

I only ventured down the steps of the dark and window-less Jack and Jill's one time. I remember it as a real old-fashioned pool room, men only, and left very quickly with my teenaged girlfriends. We were curious, though, and got the nerve to walk in! :cool:

I did see Weenie Beanie play Freddie Boggs one time at the original Champions on Glebe Road. Seattle Sam worked there. Word has it that they were to play one-pocket for a nickel a game, and so we all drove over there to sweat the action. Weenie, if I may call him that, pulled up after the first game because Freddie was taking too long between shots. :rolleyes:

I saw Weenie at the last U.S. Open and got a chance to introduce myself and chat with him. Here is a picture I snapped of Keith and Weenie Beanie! ;)

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Hi Jennie,
The car painter was Earl Shrive not Shriver. Earl Shriver was a fairly good player but his true claim to fame was in the matching up. Much like Minn. Fats.

I heard a story about Shriver which goes this way. He was in the bleachers watching a match between two talented locals when a gentleman walked in and sat next to him. After the game in progress ended Earl sugested he and this gentleman flip a coin before each game for the choice of players as a sweat bet.

The agreement being made, the coin flipped, and the bet made. The game was underway. Several games and a walet full of cash later, Earl had miraculously won every game! "That's all for me, Earl. I'm broke", The gentleman groaned.

What the gentleman didn't know was earl had planted both players like worms on a hook! With signals from Earl, they new in advance the winner of each game, and so did Earl.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I've read other reports that there were 14 players for the original One Pocket event in '61, yet only 12 show on the leader board photo. However, clearly that photo had to have been taken very early in the tourney, with only two matches finished. I suspect that two more players mosied in and were easy to add in that (apparently) round robin format...

Frank sent me another picture too, which some of you may already have seen elsewhere, but which shows the original group gathered for a group shot.

Coming soon :)

Just looked at the other picture, and it includes Sonny Springer, Joey Spaeth and Marshall 'Squirrel' Carpenter as well -- so maybe a couple more or so were added after that leader board photo... who knows

Last edited:

hemicudas

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Miss.
Sonny Springer

Sonny Springer

NH Steve said:
I've read other reports that there were 14 players for the original One Pocket event in '61, yet only 12 show on the leader board photo. However, clearly that photo had to have been taken very early in the tourney, with only two matches finished. I suspect that two more players mosied in and were easy to add in that (apparently) round robin format...

Frank sent me another picture too, which some of you may already have seen elsewhere, but which shows the original group gathered for a group shot.

Coming soon :)

Just looked at the other picture, and it includes Sonny Springer, Joey Spaeth and Marshall 'Squirrel' Carpenter as well -- so maybe a couple more or so were added after that leader board photo... who knows
I knew for a fact that Sonny Springer was there, Steve. He is a close friend. In this photo, Sonny is in the back row. Shortest hidden guy. This is from 1961. The 2 circled are the only ones I haven't IDed.

Last edited:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
hemicudas said:
Texas Tom, the car painter is Earl Scheib . Great info on Johnston City, Steve. Thanks.

Right you are, 'Cuda! I can still hear his voice from the commercials out in L.A. in the 70's: "I'm Earl Scheib, and I'll paint any car for $39.95!" Word was they didn't do a bad job, either! :rolleyes:

Doc

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Added '61 photo & key to identities

Added '61 photo & key to identities

hemicudas said:
I knew for a fact that Sonny Springer was there, Steve. He is a close friend. In this photo, Sonny is in the back row. Shortest hidden guy. This is from 1961. The 2 circled are the only ones I haven't IDed.
I've just added that same photo (also sent to me by Frank Brent :)) to the Johnston City page for 1961:

I've also included a link to a 'key' to the player identities in that photograph.

hemicudas

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Miss.
Great Job, Steve

Great Job, Steve

NH Steve said:
I've just added that same photo (also sent to me by Frank Brent :)) to the Johnston City page for 1961:

I've also included a link to a 'key' to the player identities in that photograph.
The only one that is wrong, in my and others opinions, is the #10 I.D. It is IDed as Cokes' Body Guard. Actually, it is the person in the photo on the wall. Not a live person.

Rod

Verified Member
From
Phoenix, Az
Sure glad I ventured here tonight. That is great to be able to share the old Johnston City days. Cowboy is still up in age in the 61 photo.

Rod

Ed Wiggins

Verified Member
Look who played in 1964

Look who played in 1964

There's an interesting name in the fine print showing the results for 1964---T. A. Preston. That's ol' Amarillo Slim. Not too many years ago, Slim was in some high stakes 1-pocket action where he got a big handicap from Efren and lost. He may have won some of it back later. I don't know the details.

Many thanks to Frank Brent for the great old material.

Ed

hemicudas

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Miss.
You are right, Ed.

You are right, Ed.

Ed Wiggins said:
There's an interesting name in the fine print showing the results for 1964---T. A. Preston. That's ol' Amarillo Slim. Not too many years ago, Slim was in some high stakes 1-pocket action where he got a big handicap from Efren and lost. He may have won some of it back later. I don't know the details.

Many thanks to Frank Brent for the great old material.

Ed
Didn't notice that, Ed. Thanks for noticing that. I knew Slim ran the roads back then and one pocket was his long suite. I agree also, we owe many thanks to, Frank Brent for the info. Slim use to hustle many games. Ping pong with a Coke bottle was one of them.