My trip to King Street Billiards

Grady

Verified Member
From
Columbia, SC
Thanks for all the positive posts, folks. I had a great time at King St. Billiards in Fayetteville. Jay Helfert did a wonderful job directing the event. It's tough to handle two divisions. Doing commentary is something I love and I had the pleasure of working with new people... and old if we include my buddy Joey A.
That's some establishment. I'd guess 15,000 sq. ft.. I really like the way it's laid out,too. The only thing I would have done with the tournament differently is I would have had the feature tables across the room, where the bleachers are. That would have provided more seating.
I had a talk with Shannon and suggested nicely that it would have been a better event if he'd added $12,500 to each division. You all know that I believe One Pocket is every bit as important as 10-Ball. To this, he responded that he thought he'd lose players in the 10-Ball if he did this. However, there were 72 entrants in the 10-Ball and 56 in the One Pocket. Don't you think if there had been equal prize money that there might have been more players in the One Pocket?
Working with Dustin and JR Calvert was a pleasure. While there were a few technical problems I thought the body of work was outstanding.
While our upcoming One Pocket tournament doesn't have the large payout, we hope to have a good turnout and I assure you all that we'll have great fun. We look forward to seeing some of you in Lexington, SC. (Dec. 5,6, &7)

hemicudas

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Miss.
Grady said:
Thanks for all the positive posts, folks. I had a great time at King St. Billiards in Fayetteville. Jay Helfert did a wonderful job directing the event. It's tough to handle two divisions. Doing commentary is something I love and I had the pleasure of working with new people... and old if we include my buddy Joey A.
That's some establishment. I'd guess 15,000 sq. ft.. I really like the way it's laid out,too. The only thing I would have done with the tournament differently is I would have had the feature tables across the room, where the bleachers are. That would have provided more seating.
I had a talk with Shannon and suggested nicely that it would have been a better event if he'd added $12,500 to each division. You all know that I believe One Pocket is every bit as important as 10-Ball. To this, he responded that he thought he'd lose players in the 10-Ball if he did this. However, there were 72 entrants in the 10-Ball and 56 in the One Pocket. Don't you think if there had been equal prize money that there might have been more players in the One Pocket?
Working with Dustin and JR Calvert was a pleasure. While there were a few technical problems I thought the body of work was outstanding.
While our upcoming One Pocket tournament doesn't have the large payout, we hope to have a good turnout and I assure you all that we'll have great fun. We look forward to seeing some of you in Lexington, SC. (Dec. 5,6, &7)

You did a great job, Grady. It was a pleasure to watch.

philwelch

Verified Member
From
Plainfield,IL
I would also like to commend you on a great job Grady! It was really a treat to here your world class commentary on some of the great matches we were treated to. I would also like to thank the other commentators Joey A. and J.R. Calvert, etc it's fun to watch one pocket but the commentating adds a little something to the mix. Great tournament, great job. Phil

Terry Ardeno

Verified Member
From
Washington, Pa
philwelch said:
I would also like to commend you on a great job Grady! It was really a treat to here your world class commentary on some of the great matches we were treated to. I would also like to thank the other commentators Joey A. and J.R. Calvert, etc it's fun to watch one pocket but the commentating adds a little something to the mix. Great tournament, great job. Phil

I concur with Bill and Phil's posts. Grady is a national treasure to the pool world, JoeyA was smother than silk and man, what knowledge! He seemed like he had been commentating all his life. JR and Insidepool, along with the other sponsors, thanks for giving us such a special treat.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Great Job JoeyA, JR, Grady, and all.

Great Job JoeyA, JR, Grady, and all.

Everyone involved did a great job. They all stayed focused and provided updates on other matches. IMO I believe it makes for a better overall presentation if they do not have the distraction of a chat stream monitor.
Everyone wants to interact, but a producer can watch the chat, and advise the commentators of anything of importance. Most of the chat is guys logging on and off and wanting immediate updates, or woofing at each other and getting way off subject. They all kept us entertained and well informed. By far the best live stream of any event I've seen to date. Kudos to all who participated. Really enjoyed Vidal and Price's time in the box. Thanks to all the sponsor's for putting their money into this worthwhile production. Let's support them at every opportunity.

Dick

Last edited:

jay helfert

Verified Member
Thanks Grady, it wasn't easy pulling this one off, ON TIME. We put the feature matches in front because the Diamonds were up there and the live stream with you doing commentary. That's why!

You did your usual superlative job on the 'mike'. Everybody was talking about your commentary, "Did you hear what Grady just said," etc. If I wasn't so busy I would have sat in with you one time. Maybe at DCC. Take care and good luck with your upcoming event.