dennis if you are lurking can you pm me a link

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
your shot
obviously you need one your pocket shown
View attachment 15120

I don't like cutting these because there is a fine line between making it and scratching or both. You can also miss the ball entirely which I have seen everybody do. The 3 rail with cue ball on the bottom rail is no good because you are likely to leave a bank if you miss. The cross is good because it is very makeable and the cue ball goes to the head rail if you hit it lag speed.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I have tried cutting it but more often I will cross it instead.

However, the shot I play more than both of those and even more than 3 railing the ball to my side is this one:

Just use some LHE and hit 1/3 of the obj ball. the 8 goes one rail over to your side below the side pocket and the cb goes to the side rail then rest on the bottom cushion.

I feel this is the easiest to execute and still pretty effective. Chances are I get a bank my next shot.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
There's not much downside to banking it cross-corner, using outside english. The only danger is in juicing up the CB too much, and having it scratch in the opponent's head rail corner. Ideally, if not pocketed, the ball should either hang, or lay on the foot rail, so as not to allow a return bank.

~Doc

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
These are my two options depending on how I felt. Option 1 leaves nothing and easy to do. Playing for my hole could leave a bank or possible lose control of the cue ball.
Option 2 could leave a possible three rail bank but risky for him to do if you left him tight to the short rail with the cue ball because he would have to use bottom right to get the cue ball out of that area. Option 2 is in follow up post.

option 1.jpg

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
I saw Grady cut this in to win a tournament at Olathe about '95-98 (in fact, Grady's CB was quite a bit closer to the head rail.) I think the final was against Parica, and I know for sure that after winning the tournament Grady proceeded to blow off two $5000 sets to Jose.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
In my experiences , banking to make it, is the worst of all choices.
If I go for it, I don't want to send it across 4 1/2 feet of my opponents side of the table , plus I might leave a bank if I hit it 90% perfect.

baby huey

Verified Member
This scenario is one of the most frequent situations in one pocket. We have all been confronted with it. I think the shot is to cross the spotted ball and put it up table where you hope to only leave a difficult long bank for your opponent. I would say that the shot selection should be predicated on the type of cloth being played on. For example if the cloth is worn and playing fast crossing the spotted ball might be more difficult to play safe as the cue ball comes cross table too far and the long bank left all too often. If it's newer cloth the shot is easier to control as the spotted ball will slide a little further and the cue ball won't travel as far cross table. The Barber presented a couple of options that work well if hit properly. Lastly I watched the great Johnnie Chapman (Cannon Ball) shoot this shot where he banked the spotted ball right in front of the side pocket on his opponents side time and again. He claimed that if hit properly, his opponent would sell out a bank every time.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
another rerun

The last thing that jerry mentioned is what I like here. Usually I bunt the OB to land at HIS side pocket.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
The last thing that jerry mentioned is what I like here. Usually I bunt the OB to land at HIS side pocket.

if the cue ball is more in the jaws or on the rail i too like the cannonball way
bunt it to his side pocket since its the easiest to control for me
where the cue ball is now any of the options presented i might try
i like rods version vs franks alittle more

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
another rerun

if the cue ball is more in the jaws or on the rail i too like the cannonball way

bunt it to his side pocket since its the easiest to control for me

where the cue ball is now any of the options presented i might try

i like rods version vs franks alittle more

If you're playing on a diamond (they open up more off the second rail) you could also two rail the to your hole while bringing the cue 3 rails uptable 😁

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
If you're playing on a diamond (they open up more off the second rail) you could also two rail the to your hole while bringing the cue 3 rails uptable 😁

thats a good shot too Mitch!

I do not shoot the 2 railers up and down as much as I probably should. I always hit them way too short...(not in this scenario but any time in a game when it comes up)

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH

I do not shoot the 2 railers up and down as much as I probably should. I always hit them way too short...(not in this scenario but any time in a game when it comes up)

Every time I think of those 2 rail long banks I think of how well Shannon Murphy hits them, here's an example here lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75SFBdcoEIo

Now I know why I get 11-5

Last edited:

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
another rerun

It's aNice idea for shot, but it's not really practical in this layout. The way that you will come across the object Ball l is going to put the right-hand English on it which will straighten that out too much off the second rail potentially. Also there's a great chance of selling out across bank since the cube all will end up on the other side of the table up table. Not that it's impossible but I wouldn't want anyone to think I was a gopher LOL