The Billiard News

JAM

Verified Member
Well, Keith and I visited a pool room out in the country yesterday, Bill and Billie's CuesPort in Arnold, Maryland. It's a player's pool room with many 9-foot GC's and two 6-by-12 snooker tables. Keith was involved in action with a local young gun on the snooker table, and during the match, I found myself poring through some pool magazines and, lo and behold, I saw a May 2004 issue of The Billiard News!

Thanks to Doc for bringing this wonderful pool resource to my attention, I was elated to find the subscription info. It costs $28 a year, and the address is Puhka Publishing Co., P.O. Box 807, Northville, MI 48167-0807.

On the upper left-hand corner of the front page of the May 2004 issue, it had a logo stating: "We support the Senior Tour."

It is my intention to subscribe to this, and I am also going to endeavor to see if I can buy some older issues, if they are available. What a great find (IMO)! :)

JAM

yobagua

Dam Jenny I just dumped a bunch of old ones out. If I find more do you want them?? I need a good home for them.

JAM

Verified Member
Yes, yes, yes, Yobagua!

Yes, yes, yes, Yobagua!

Oh, Yobagua, I'd sure give them a good home. Please send me an e-mail, and I will provide you with my FedEx account number and address. I am especially interested in locating issues from all of the '70s and early '80s. I am looking forward to subscribing to this pool newspaper. The fact that they have been in existence since '62 captured my attention, as this is the time era that I am interested in.

As an aside, I read an article in the May 2004 issue of The Billiard News written by Scott "The Shot" Smith, the world renown tournament director, about Valley Forge, and I enjoyed it. Scott knows every single player just about, and because of having this knowledge, his article read true and captured the essence of this event (IMO).

Scott's got a sense of class (IMO). When he introduces the players with a brief bio, it provides the spectators a glimpse of the players' accomplishments, and he always adds a touch of levity in his intros. In the finals of every event, he's usually wearing a tux. I'm not sure where he shops, but this man definitely has a wardrobe! Always brandishing a smile on his face and fun to be around, it's always a pleasure running into Scott Smith on the tournament trail! :)

JAM

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
yobagua said:
Dam Jenny I just dumped a bunch of old ones out. If I find more do you want them?? I need a good home for them.
I'm pretty sure that's the newsprint sytle publication I subscribed to during the 70's -- but unfortunately dumped in some later purge :(

If any of you all dig up your old issues they should greatly help out our One Pocket Record Book !!

I know we are still missing a bunch of the Stardust results, as well as a number of major regional events from the 70's on...

hemicudas

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Miss.
Got feelers out

Got feelers out

NH Steve said:
I'm pretty sure that's the newsprint sytle publication I subscribed to during the 70's -- but unfortunately dumped in some later purge :(

If any of you all dig up your old issues they should greatly help out our One Pocket Record Book !!

I know we are still missing a bunch of the Stardust results, as well as a number of major regional events from the 70's on...
I have contacted a ton of people I know, Steve. If I have any good news I will let you know. Like you and others, I too trashed them. Allways thought, "Someone", would be keeping up with this stuff. Wrong.................

Pelican

Verified Member
From
Magnolia Springs, AL
email

email

JAM said:
It costs $28 a year, and the address is Puhka Publishing Co., P.O. Box 807, Northville, MI 48167-0807.
JAM

Hey JAM. do it have an email address fer subscriptions?

Thanks, Pel

Oh yea, Scotts hair always looks like he just peed on a live wire :eek:

JAM

Verified Member
Pelican, the only e-mail I saw listed near the address inside the front page of The Billiard News is: conradj @ comcast-dot-net.

The phone number is (248) 348-0053.

Each issue costs $3.00 apiece, but a yearly subscription is only a mere $28. Sounds like a good deal to me!

JAM

JAM

Verified Member
Update!

Update!

NH Steve said:

Just got off the phone with "The National Billiard News" guy. If anybody is interested in subscribing to this wonderful pool newspaper, the check MUST be made out to "The National Billiard News," and not Puhka Publishing Co.

Interestingly, the company was sold in the early '70s. The Stardust results will be hard to find because the records from the early time period of '60s and early '70s remain with the first owner. Again, the reality is that these facts can only be obtained from those who were there!

This kind gentleman from The National Billiard News is going to locate some older issues between the middle '70s and middle '80s and get back to me. At $3.00 a pop, it will be an expensive undertaking, but I am going to follow through. When I receive them, I will definitely provide any one-pocket results for the OnePocket.Org Record Book!

JAM

Pelican

Verified Member
From
Magnolia Springs, AL
Phone please

Phone please

JAM said:
This kind gentleman from The National Billiard News is going to locate some older issues between the middle '70s and middle '80s and get back to me. At $3.00 a pop, it will be an expensive undertaking, but I am going to follow through. When I receive them, I will definitely provide any one-pocket results for the OnePocket.Org Record Book!

JAM

Hey dahlin' if'n y'all will be a sweet thang and give ole Pel a call at 251-943-5834 he will get ya address and send ya a little donation ta kinda help with the 'spences on this. Jest ask fer Rick.

The name is different but is the address the same for getting a subscription? Hey, they ought to give you a commission. ;)

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
Old issues

Old issues

Jen, Find someone you or Keith know in Atlanta and have them talk to a friend of mine....Roy Ruffin.
He should have every issue of the Billiard News from day one.

Conrad Burkman and Ray Abrams never kept a copy of every issue, either one may have some misc. ones around, but that would be it.

If you don't have any luck getting ahold of Roy let me know, a friend of his that he talks to here in Detroit will be back in a week or so and I can have him give Roy your number.

Steve

JAM

Verified Member
Pelican, a true Southern gentleman!

Pelican, a true Southern gentleman!

Pelican said:
Hey dahlin' if'n y'all will be a sweet thang and give ole Pel a call at 251-943-5834 he will get ya address and send ya a little donation ta kinda help with the 'spences on this. Jest ask fer Rick.

The name is different but is the address the same for getting a subscription? Hey, they ought to give you a commission. ;)

Pelican, the address is correct. The name, however, should definitely be "The National Billiard News," and not the publishing company.

You are a kind soul, Pelican, for offering a little donation, and it is very much appreciated. However, I am purchasing 10 years of this newsletter for personal reasons (Keith's book). I just got a phone call today, and the fellow from The National Billiard News has located 127 out of 144 issues between 1975 and 1986, the era that I am interested in. At $3 a pop, the cost will be $381.

Southern gentlemen never case to amaze me, and if there ever was one, it sure is Pelican. Keith and I have received several gifts from some kind folks around the country. One gentleman sent me some old issues of Pool and Billiards magazines and On the Snap, which have been really helpful as far as name spellings and chronological order of events.

As soon as I receive these from The National Billiard News, I will definitely be looking for some one-pocket results for this wonderful website!

I really do appreciate your kind offer, Pelican, but since I am using them for other purposes than this website, I feel it only proper that I pay for the full cost. You are the Southern gentleman, though!

JAM

Last edited:

JAM

Verified Member
Hi, Steve!

Hi, Steve!

stevelomako said:
Jen, Find someone you or Keith know in Atlanta and have them talk to a friend of mine....Roy Ruffin.
He should have every issue of the Billiard News from day one.

Conrad Burkman and Ray Abrams never kept a copy of every issue, either one may have some misc. ones around, but that would be it.

If you don't have any luck getting ahold of Roy let me know, a friend of his that he talks to here in Detroit will be back in a week or so and I can have him give Roy your number.

Steve, that sounds GREAT! If you are able to contact this fellow, I would be interested in issues pre-1976, if he has any available. I've created quite a pool library these days and looking forward to anything and everything to make it better! Hope all is well with you and yours, Steve!

Best regards.

Jennie

Pelican

Verified Member
From
Magnolia Springs, AL
I be danged

I be danged

Well now, you sweet dahlin', ain't you sumthin. That there Keith is one lucky boy. You done be the first gal I is ever offered money to what done turned it down. Was just want'n to hep. Y'all be good now, ya heah.

Later, Pel

hemicudas

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Miss.
Jen, I ask a friend about info and he sent me this. Just an idea,,,,,,,,,,$Bill

R A Dyer, who writes for the Billiard Digest researched all that for his book "Hustler Days"
Get that book and contact him and you can get all the info you want.

ajrack

Verified Member
From
Vancouver USA
Old issues

Old issues

Earl Newby was selling subscriptions for $4.00 per year and sending out issues of the paper back in the 60's...
I "HAD" all (I think), copies from Sept 1966 to about the end of 1978/9, and including all copies of the "American Billiard Review". I was to be working outside of the USA for some years (1991>) and "GAVE" ALL of the papers to a guy I knew for many years for safe keeping and that some day I could get them back.
I returned and have not been able to find "the guy" ...bummer...
I am trying to find him and get them back...if possible...