billiard eyeglasses

jerseygirl

Can anyone recommend a brand of specialty billiard eyeglasses?I have seen a website for them online,but I would have to buy them without trying them on.Any information would help.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Howard Vickery was for many years a rep for Pro Billiard Eyeware, but I don't know how to get in touch with him. I think either those or Steve's would be a big help. However I finally gave up and went to extended wear contacts.

Doc

Shorty

Verified Member
From
Melbourne, Florida
I too use the Decot's and love them. A bit expensive and a bit heavy in that they are real glass...but they really do improve my field of vision and work well for viewing shots regardless of how you hold your head.

Shorty

Stanton Fountain

I had trouble with glasses, tried contacts, and finally discussed it with my optometrist. His solution was to give me a single strength lense in what would be my trifocal strength if if had trifocals. In other words the lense is designed for my vision from approximartely 2 to 12 feet. Other than the fact that I can't shoot anyway, the glasses work wonderfully.

Pelican

Verified Member
From
Magnolia Springs, AL
Decot

Decot

I have used the Decot HyWide. I took a one ball and attached it to a piece of plywood that was covers with table cloth. Then made a mount to put the whole thing on a camera tripod. I told the optomitrist (SP?) to set it out 8' and adjust his gizmo till the ball was clear. Because i have astigmatism plus a slight vail in my right eye we never could completely get rid of the ghost edge but it was better. I sent the script to Decot and had the glasses made using a light rose color lens. This color makes the balls really stand out against a green background. They worked fine for some time until my eyes got weaker. I have never gotten around to having new lenses made with my updated script. Like Shorty says, they are a bit pricey but I liked mine. I loved being able to adjust the bridge height so I didn't have to crook my neck so much, like I do now with my regular glasses.

Later, Pel

Pelican

Verified Member
From
Magnolia Springs, AL
Stanton Fountain said:
Other than the fact that I can't shoot anyway, the glasses work wonderfully.

Don't bring that up Stanton. I have been blaming the glasses for years. Now everybody will know the truth.

Later, Pel :D

Smorgass Bored

Verified Member
From
Tampa
Poolplayer Sammy Gibson used to make and sell some great glasses for playing pool, but I haven't seen or heard of him in years...
Doug
( does anyone have a line on his whereabouts )

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Stanton Fountain said:
I had trouble with glasses, tried contacts, and finally discussed it with my optometrist. His solution was to give me a single strength lense in what would be my trifocal strength if if had trifocals. In other words the lense is designed for my vision from approximartely 2 to 12 feet. Other than the fact that I can't shoot anyway, the glasses work wonderfully.
That's exactly what I had done, too, but it was like pulling teeth from the optometrist to get that special poolplayer 'in between' prescription -- they are so entrenched in "reading, computer or distance". But they can do it...

I still have plenty of other excuses in my repertoire :)

jerseygirl

Thanks for the info it looks like the Decot is the way to go.Did you get them from your optician,on-line or direct from Decot.Can anyone make the lenses like Pearl vision etc,or do I have to have them fill it out.Also phone # or e-mail address would be a big help.
Thanks
Jerseygirl

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
jerseygirl said:
Thanks for the info it looks like the Decot is the way to go.Did you get them from your optician,on-line or direct from Decot.Can anyone make the lenses like Pearl vision etc,or do I have to have them fill it out.Also phone # or e-mail address would be a big help.
Thanks
Jerseygirl
My local optician provided the prescription details, and I ordered the glasses from Decot directly. Unfortunately my stubborn optician did NOT get the special billiard distance prescription concept the first time, and instead gave me regular distance prescription. I had to return the glasses and get the lenses changed to get it right. (Eye glass companies do give a certain degree of credit for optician error, which helped, but did not fully cover the cost of this correction.) You really have to lean on your optician to make sure they really do comprehend the 2' to 10' viewing distance thing. You shouldn't have to, but believe me, you do.

You might see if your local place (or Pearl, or whatever) offers any alternative frames that accept large lenses, that can be made to sit high on your nose (because of the need to bend over and look up to shoot). Then you could one-stop-shop.

I actually have a spare pair of Wallmart 9.99 glasses that are a low degree of magnification that work in a pinch :)

iusedtoberich

Verified Member
I had my local optician make me a special pair. He is old school, and cuts all lenses by hand and fits them to the frames. I don't know if the chain stores can do what he did.

Anyway, I had him use a frameless pair of glasses. The frame brand is Sillouette. There are only the lenses, the nose piece, and the ear pieces (sorry, forgot what the correct terms ares). He used lenses that were bigger than normal. He also moved the focal point of the lens very high, so that when I bend down, it is centered over my eyeball. They also sit higher on my nose because the ear pieces were mounted to the lens a bit below center, to push the lens up.

They work very well, and in my opinion, they look way better than the huge rifle shooting glasses.

I posted this on AZ about a year back, but the search isn't working for me right now. I had pictures and a better description of what I did.

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Howard Vickery is the only man I know of to talk to regarding pool eyeglasses. Last # I have on him, and this is a few years past is: 614-351-8086 Pro Billiard Eyeware

BarneyCalip

Progressive Lenses

Progressive Lenses

I am thinking about buying those glasses that Grady Mathews uses from Gordon Harrison Dispensing Optics. www.billiard-eyeglasses.com

They say, single vision. I would like to buy progressive lenses, so I can use them for long and short distances.

Has anyone ordered Progressive lenses and how do they work? Thanks , Barney

RedCard

Verified Member
gulfportdoc said:
Howard Vickery was for many years a rep for Pro Billiard Eyeware, but I don't know how to get in touch with him. I think either those or Steve's would be a big help. However I finally gave up and went to extended wear contacts.

Doc

I think Vickery is in prison, or was.
~~~
Play blind, it's a built-in excuse.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
RedCard said:
I think Vickery is in prison, or was.
~~~
Play blind, it's a built-in excuse.

I have a pair of Decot Hywides, 2 to 12 ft. script, with the adjustable bridge...I can see the balls perfectly, with no distortion...:cool:

PS..It seems I was much better off, when I was guessing where to hit the ball, so I gave up pool and use them for driving now...There
are some minor issues, but the speedometer and the hood ornament, are 'crystal clear'...:eek:

Last edited: