Mkbtank Philly Tournament report

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
What a great time!! To have so many of my Onepocket.org brethren at my home room was just fantastic!!’ I was very happy that Philly was selected for our members tournament, but I have to say I was a bit nervous about everyone liking the pool room and having a good time. I love it but you never know lol. As the weekend went on and the reviews were positive and everything seemed to go so well it was just awesome to me. Thank you So much Jeanne it cannot be overstated what a great job you did herding all of us cats!!! Finishing so early on Sunday is a record for our tournament.

The people:

Finally meeting Larry was a highlight, as well as Big Dean, Tall Paul (who is quite a player from what I saw), and even a few Railbirds who drove all the way from the DC area to sweat our tournament. Hanging with the rest of our crew is always such a treat! The laughing, eating (lots of eating) and Onepocket with our members so enhances my love and enjoyment of pool that I am extremely grateful to Steve for building our group. Thank you Steve.

The Play:

I played fairly well this weekend other than my tournament play. I finally got over my tv table hump in a good match vs ChicagoFats, but fell short against my buddies Ben and Jakie who played very well. As always I am an action junkie, whether it’s cheap or for a few hunnert. This weekend I was able to match up and play some with Larry, Robert Newkirk (put that killer on notice lol) Oneholenut Jason Moran, Johnnytronic, Jakie, John Long (pool and ping pong lol), Steve, and of course my longtime battle Partner Kentucky (who played real strong btw).

Steve and I were able to play some of his new game (5 pocket?) and I have to say I am a fan! We played 4 games (50 a game) and I got lucky to finish even as I’m pretty sure I was being hustled lol. Jakie and I played it also and he beat me with a fantastic two railer in the side. I will absolutely be playing it again!

I also took delivery of my new cue from Mark Mariani who did a fantastic job (I will post pics later).

So for me it was a wonderful weekend. Thank you to all who helped and showed up so make this tournament happen and congrats to Dave and Ben and the rest of the top finishers!!!

Last edited:

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Mitch great report....I was hoping you'd make it to the final four, as your game has improved....tho chumming is also effective. :p Hope to attend the next one. But..............

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa

Mitch great report....I was hoping you'd make it to the final four, as your game has improved....tho chumming is also effective. :p Hope to attend the next one. But..............

Thanks Bill. Appreciate it. Next time :)

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa

Edited to add Johnnytronic. Super nice guy and nice wife as well! Only those Chicago guys negotiate a spot before ever playing heh. (Good training Ghostie hehe)

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
thanks for the report Mitch!

Wish I could have been there buddy, if not for anything else than to win back my $20 playing ping pong. :)

next time!

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Great report, Mitch.. Watched your match that was streamed.. Played extra good..

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
Mitch - thanks for organizing the event. Bluegrass Billiards is a great room and Dominick is a gregarious owner and host. Nice to meet Regina and your mom as well.
:)

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
Nice report Mitch. I did get a chance to watch most of your match with Chicago Fats and it was very entertaining.

There was a shot in that match that would have been the highlight of the tournament. You were shooting a straight back on the nine ball to your hole. You jacked up and it looked to me that you intended to bank the nine and then hop the cue ball over the stack, which you did, for position to run plenty more. You missed the bank but executed the jump very well. Is that what you intended to do? It sure looked like it. If you did or didn't to do that either way I just learned a new shot.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa

Nice report Mitch. I did get a chance to watch most of your match with Chicago Fats and it was very entertaining.

There was a shot in that match that would have been the highlight of the tournament. You were shooting a straight back on the nine ball to your hole. You jacked up and it looked to me that you intended to bank the nine and then hop the cue ball over the stack, which you did, for position to run plenty more. You missed the bank but executed the jump very well. Is that what you intended to do? It sure looked like it. If you did or didn't to do that either way I just learned a new shot.

I did indeed, Frank! There was a road player (Roadman) in town a few months ago who showed me that shot. I have practiced it many times since. That was only the second time it has come up in a game since, and I was happy to employ it. I usually hit that shot well but overcut the 9 a bit, but it’s actually a pretty reliable shot! Thanks for noticing :)

Last edited:

youngstown

Verified Member

It’s always great hanging out Mitch, thx for all your effort in getting this done.

Hardmix

Verified Member
From
Cumming Ga
I did indeed, Frank! There was a road player (Roadman) in town a few months ago who showed me that shot. I have practiced it many times since. That was only the second time it has come up in a game since, and I was happy to employ it. I usually hit that shot well but overcut the 9 a bit, but it’s actually a pretty reliable shot! Thanks for noticing :)

That sounds like a dastardly shot. You will have to show it to me sometime.

Cory in dc

Verified Member

I learned that from Grady's old video, I think. I remember getting good results from it a few times and once even made it against Rob Saez. Didn't help in the end, though.

Congrats on a good run, Mitch!

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa

I learned that from Grady's old video, I think. I remember getting good results from it a few times and once even made it against Rob Saez. Didn't help in the end, though.

Congrats on a good run, Mitch!

Yep! It’s a good shot. And thanks but my tournament run was short lol. Played pretty well otherwise though. It was great to see you Cory. Ya Beatnick

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.

I saw you shoot that bank too and saw what you were doing when you were jacking on it...and i said to myself "you bastad".......

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
I saw you shoot that bank too and saw what you were doing when you were jacking on it...and i said to myself "you bastad".......

I just landed waiting for luggage after a long delay. Thanks again for all your hard work, Mitch.

the best part about that shot is when Mitch looked in the camera and looked at us that were on the microphone, that was not working, with a big smile on his face as if saying"roll tape". Hahaha it was an awesome shot.

Last edited:

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa

😂😂😂. I’m annoyed I overcut it. I usually come close or make that shot. I was thinking too much about the jump because there were three full balls to get over. Next time lol.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa

I just landed waiting for luggage after a long delay. Thanks again for all your hard work, Mitch.

the best part about that shot is when Mitch looked in the camera and looked at us that were on the microphone, that was not working, with a big smile on his as if saying race saying roll tape. Hahaha it was an awesome shot.

Hahaha. I actually came over and said.. “Get your cameras ready” 😂 I love a fun shot!!