Rules question

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
:rolleyes:
This question came up recently. Does hitting a ball frozen to the rail count as hitting a rail? I can't find anything about this, either in BCA rules or this forum's one-pocket rules.

One player said that the frozen ball becomes 'part of the rail', and thus can make a shot legal when hit.

Cal

Verified Member
From
Pittsburgh Pennsylvania
Rules question

My understanding is that if the object ball is frozen to the rail either the cue ball or the object ball "MUST" strike another rail to be deemed a legal hit. In reverse if the cue ball is frozen to the rail and the object ball,the cue ball or object ball must strike another rail

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
WPA rules:

WPA rules:

Right you are, Cal. Here is one of the sections covering that circumstance in the new WPA rules:

8.4 Driven to a Rail
A ball is said to be driven to a rail if it is not touching that rail and then touches that rail. A ball touching at the start of a shot (said to be “frozen” to the rail) is not considered driven to that rail unless it leaves the rail and returns. A ball that is pocketed or driven off the table is also considered to have been driven to a rail. A ball is assumed not to be frozen to any rail unless it is declared frozen by the referee, the shooter, or the opponent.

After contact with a rail-frozen ball, the cueball can contact any rail to avoid a foul.

Been playing any one-hole lately, Cal?

Doc

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Let me clarify my question, although it may not change the answer. The object ball frozen to the rail is not the ball you are shooting at. You shoot into another object ball, very gently, and then hit the frozen ball with either the cue ball or the other one. Is hitting the frozen ball (after another contact) considered hitting the rail? This is the first time I have heard of a ball 'becoming part of the rail', as one player claimed.

KindlyOleUncleDave

Verified Member
vapros said:
Let me clarify my question, although it may not change the answer. The object ball frozen to the rail is not the ball you are shooting at. You shoot into another object ball, very gently, and then hit the frozen ball with either the cue ball or the other one. Is hitting the frozen ball (after another contact) considered hitting the rail? This is the first time I have heard of a ball 'becoming part of the rail', as one player claimed.

If the frozen ball leaves the rail and then contacts a rail, any rail, it is a legal shot. If that does not happen and neither the cueball or other contacted object ball goes to a rail then it is a foul.

I might be wrong. But I doubt it !

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
Rail,frozen ball

Rail,frozen ball

I will 2nd that rule.A ball frozen is NOT part of the rail.Hitting another ball then a ball frozen is a foul without hitting a rail.Interesting theory however,but easily covered according to Hoyle or the good book.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
vapros said:
No -- he's pulling one over on you :)

Just bumping a ball frozen to the rail won't do it -- you still have to catch a rail directly with one of your object balls or the cue ball.

Cal

Verified Member
From
Pittsburgh Pennsylvania
Rules question

Doc Im getting old , eyes are failing, I have a nervous twitch,legs don't hold up like they use too, but with the right spot I would try and do my best :) .Always good seeing you in here. Any word on the Derby ?