Doc in John Ford country...

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Doc and Miss Kitty have been on a trip to Monument Valley in the Navajo Res in Ariz./Utah. The first pic is in the middle of the valley "monuments" looking north, with the "West Mitten Butte" over my left shoulder. Unfortunately the weather was cold, rainy and misty.
FullSizeRender-1.jpg
However the next morning was sunny. The second pic was taken looking south at the expanse of Monument Valley down Rte. 163-- a pretty famous view.
Art - MV north.jpg

We're now over in Vegas to see Artie, and an old music friend of mine. Haven't been online in a few days. Will commence my harassment of the membership very soon...:D

~Doc

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
I haven't been playing pool either

Attachments

• IMG_1786.jpg
    IMG_1786.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1741.jpg
    IMG_1741.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1760.jpg
    IMG_1760.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1800.jpg
    IMG_1800.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 0

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
If it is now OP.ORG Facebook, I have been sailing

Attachments

• IMG_0238.jpg
    IMG_0238.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0035.jpg
    IMG_0035.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0226.jpg
    IMG_0226.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 0

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
I went on a trip too

I went on a trip too

My pictures didn't turn out right

Last edited:

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
How about a pic of your ride. You look to happy to of been driving in a Fiesta :) Nice time of year out west. Wet hydroplane/snow will sneak up on ya. Massey is up in WY right now.

keoneyo

Verified Member
Doc I know youre in Vegas. Please tell us you and Miss Kitty are OK.

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Funny Doc, we just returned from a trip that included Monument Valley; Antelope Canyon; and a little golf with friends in the Scottsdale area. Here are a few pics.

Jim, still waiting for you to ride your bike to Fort Collins. :D

Mile marker 13 is where Forrest Gump stopped running in the movie of the same name. As Doc said it was pretty iconic and cool to see.

Diane and I in Antelope Canyon. Our guide knew just where to take this pic!

I golfed in the desert...Maybe I should have taken a drop!!! :eek::frus:lol

The four of us after golf - I'm posting so you all can see my golf shirt. :)

Dave

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Just heard from the Doc. He is well and was about a mile away.
Yeah, it was very weird. We'd been up the Las Vegas Blvd. from Mandalay Bay at Belagio about an hour before the shooting. In hindsight we were back at the hotel, 1-2 miles away, when the shooter opened up. We of course never heard a thing, and didn't learn about it until this A.M. when Miss Kitty's brother phoned her.

The music festival was diagonally northeast across from the Mandalay Bay Hotel in a 15 acre empty lot. From the 32nd floor down to the open air concert crowd, it was easy to spray the throngs, even though the killer was 200-300 yards away. I don't know how he only killed 58. Maybe he ran out of rounds, indiscriminately spraying the huge crowd. It'll be interesting to find out where he got the automatic long guns.

Went out for a walk today, and it seemed like a normal LV Monday, although there's definitely a strange psychological feel in the air... If Griff's Billiards opens today, I'll probably go over to see what's shakin'. We head back to the Dixie Riviera tomorrow.

Tonight we'll take your advice and check out the restaurant you recommended. Strange time to be in Vegas...

~Doc

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Yeah, it was very weird. We'd been up the Las Vegas Blvd. from Mandalay Bay at Belagio about an hour before the shooting. In hindsight we were back at the hotel, 1-2 miles away, when the shooter opened up. We of course never heard a thing, and didn't learn about it until this A.M. when Miss Kitty's brother phoned her.

The music festival was diagonally northeast across from the Mandalay Bay Hotel in a 15 acre empty lot. From the 32nd floor down to the open air concert crowd, it was easy to spray the throngs, even though the killer was 200-300 yards away. I don't know how he only killed 58. Maybe he ran out of rounds, indiscriminately spraying the huge crowd. It'll be interesting to find out where he got the automatic long guns.

Went out for a walk today, and it seemed like a normal LV Monday, although there's definitely a strange psychological feel in the air... If Griff's Billiards opens today, I'll probably go over to see what's shakin'. We head back to the Dixie Riviera tomorrow.

Tonight we'll take your advice and check out the restaurant you recommended. Strange time to be in Vegas...

~Doc

So happy you are safe.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Yeah, Vegas seems rather quiet, obviously due to the shooting spree. There didn't seem to be too much partying last night, although a few gave it hell..:)

To be honest the national public reaction to terrible events like these seems a little exaggerated. Naturally the media jumps all over tragedies-- to drag them out, and try to ensure that we keep tuning into the grief for as long as possible. But they're not just being PC-- they're trying to sell advertising. And politicians rush in front of the cameras and the press to assure everyone how crushed they are, and that they're determined to "do something."

It filters down to most members of the public, who feel obligated to wring their hands, and to tell each other how sad they are. People are suddenly deeply interested in the protection of mankind. Touchy-feely-ness becomes the default sentiment, and many pile onto the "safety" band wagon. God only knows what new legislation will be proposed.

The sister feeling is that we're becoming more desensitized to public attacks, especially in light of all the Islamic terrorism in the past few years. Even here in Vegas at ground zero, people go about their business as usual. Had we arrived today, and hadn't heard about the tragedy, we probably wouldn't have expected anything unusual to have happened.

To be sure, society is changing for the worse. I think we could use a little more backbone and rational thinking.....

~Doc