Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2018, 02:39 PM

Default Shooting when close to another ball

Been a member for a little while but this is my first time posting. Love the site and getting to see the different way people approach the same shot. I saw this video last week by Mike Massey where he talks about a different way to hold the cue when shooting at a ball very close to the cue ball which he mentions is very useful in one pocket. Tried it out successfully in a friendly match with a buddy over the weekend. I was able to execute without fouling every time, and stop the cue ball easily, so I thought I'd share it with everyone. Hope this helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBgZt50gulM

Starts at about 5:20.
Old 08-06-2018, 03:25 PM
Verified Member

that's a great little shot...gives new meaning to Massey's "finger pool" techniques
Old 08-06-2018, 05:12 PM
Verified Member

Solomon, I recently seen this video and tried his technique but have not got down the wrist picking action as of yet.

If you go to page 26 under One Pocket forum '1/4" follow/draw shot videos' then you'll find my thread on these shots and their foul criteria. I would suggest going through the whole thread for there is a lot of information.

Also on post # 14 is Mr3cushion's video of fantastic billiard shots plus some are done when the cb is close to the ob ball. We want to thank Mr3 Cushion again!
I am going to post a few of my most favorite close draw shots on this thread in the near future.
If you go to Members Forum pg. 9 you will find Mr3Cushion thread on 1/4" draw/follow shots.

thanks for putting up this video, it is really good! Whitey

Last edited by Dennis "Whitey" Young; 08-07-2018 at 07:18 AM.
Old 08-06-2018, 10:32 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salomon View Post
Been a member for a little while but this is my first time posting. Love the site and getting to see the different way people approach the same shot. I saw this video last week by Mike Massey where he talks about a different way to hold the cue when shooting at a ball very close to the cue ball which he mentions is very useful in one pocket. Tried it out successfully in a friendly match with a buddy over the weekend. I was able to execute without fouling every time, and stop the cue ball easily, so I thought I'd share it with everyone. Hope this helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBgZt50gulM

Starts at about 5:20.
Kewl, Thanx.

Rodney Stephens.
(e-mail) rod.stephens0105@att.net(e-mail) #713-973-0503 is now working
Old 08-07-2018, 03:09 AM
Verified Member

I tried this shot a few dozen times today and it is pretty cool when done correctly. It is not easy to do it correctly every time. I'm not sure how often it will come in handy as there other ways to shoot such shots that are higher percentage, but I'm glad you posted the video so I could learn it. Now I just hope I can remember that I know how to do it when the right situation comes up!
Old 08-07-2018, 11:29 AM
Verified Member

Massey's technique works for a soft stop shot, but what about when you need more power to get shape? For these close-quarters power shots, Bob Jewett recommends using the rail as a stopper for your grip hand: measure the maximum distance you want your tip to follow through and then set up so your grip hand will hit the rail at that point. Not as painful as it sounds...

pj
chgo

P.S. You also don't have to use Massey's sidearm stance for the "fingertip" technique - just set up as normal (forearm vertical), but use only wrist and fingers - no forearm movement.

Last edited by Patrick Johnson; 08-07-2018 at 11:52 AM.
Old 08-07-2018, 01:00 PM
Verified Member

Patrick,
Contrary to Dr. Dave's portrayal of a fouette draw shot, there are two method's of 1/4" drawing the cue ball with a level stick, now a 3rd Massey pick draw.

1. where the cue fouette (goes sideways after contacting the cue ball) allowing the cue ball to draw "straight" back when stroked properly. You witnessed my video of me doing this very shot without slamming my hand into the rail, and the cue ball drew straight back into the rail and way more. IMO, you can not get power or distance using Jewett method.
I also sent this shot to Dr. Dave, to specifically show Dr. Dave that there is no need to slam your hand into the table to "legally" make the cue ball draw "straight" back.
Actually a close draw shot can be controlled to stop, draw back a little, draw 2 ft. or 3 ft, or whatever you desire on up to approx. 13 feet or more depending of the shot.

2. the other method is for the cue to go straight through without a fouette, this method is more prevalent in causing the cue ball to go off to the side on an angle. This method of doing the shot is easier to get distance and power, for the cue ball is sliding off the object ball on an angle which creates speed and distance, although the same results can be obtained by either method.
But, when Ceuleman demonstrated the shot he stroked it straight through having the cue ball coming straight back into the end cushion then going two more rails for the billiard. Approx. 13 ft. on a 5x10. There was no fouette of the cue. You wonder how this is possible, it is beause of the extreme speed of the stroke that makes Ceuleman's method possible without the cue fouette.

I liken it to Billy the kid going up against joe farm boy in a shootout, Billy shots him in between the eyes before joe farm boy clears leather, that is how fast the stroke is, it takes practice.

Currently I am stroking straight though and getting more response and distance, but my stroke is not nearly as fast as once was, so by using this method I am having a harder time getting the cue ball to come straight back like I use to, as Ceuleman demonstrated. I'll work on it and post a video. Respectfully, Whitey
Old 08-07-2018, 02:16 PM
Verified Member

Look out! New weapon for the Memphis tourney!
Old 08-07-2018, 04:12 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis "Whitey" Young View Post
... there is no need to slam your hand into the table
I probably shouldn't have said the railstop technique is for "power" draw shots - it's a way to get more power than Massey's fingertip flick, but getting lots of power might hurt more than it's worth.

pj
chgo
Old 08-07-2018, 05:01 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomike View Post
Look out! New weapon for the Memphis tourney!
Hey, Chicago are you able to do Massey's technique, I tried it but can not get the wrist action very well. To me it is very similar to the flick of the wrist dart technique in jump shots which I also have a problem with. Whitey