Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2018, 01:27 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr3cushion View Post
...snip helpful stuff...
Thanks!

pj
chgo
Old 09-18-2018, 03:33 PM
Verified Member

I took this shot to the table, and to make it you have to stroke it firm to get the action to reverse the coarse of the cb. You have to aim to overcut the ob quite a bit, for you are stroking down on the cb with what I would call a 1/4 masse' stroked at 11'0clock @ about 30 degree cue angle, or maybe 35 degree cue angle masse'. This makes the cb curve into the ob.
It took me awhile to zero in on it but was able to make the shot at will once I did.
This is a very important shot to know, and I have done it before, and it has saved my ass a few times when I have run past the ob, and still need shape on the next ball.

A great shot to thread, thanks mr3cushion! Whitey

I hope this is helpful for those that wonder how the heck do you get the cb to do that! Good luck!
Old 09-18-2018, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis "Whitey" Young View Post
I took this shot to the table, and to make it you have to stroke it firm to get the action to reverse the coarse of the cb. You have to aim to overcut the ob quite a bit, for you are stroking down on the cb with what I would call a 1/4 masse' stroked at 11'0clock @ about 30 degree cue angle, or maybe 35 degree cue angle masse'. This makes the cb curve into the ob.
It took me awhile to zero in on it but was able to make the shot at will once I did.
This is a very important shot to know, and I have done it before, and it has saved my ass a few times when I have run past the ob, and still need shape on the next ball.

A great shot to thread, thanks mr3cushion! Whitey

I hope this is helpful for those that wonder how the heck do you get the cb to do that! Good luck!
Whitey; I'm going to be a little presumptuous here, and assume you have a, 'smart phone' with camera abilities. If so, I and maybe others would like to see your technique and examine it on video. Would be much appreciated by me anyway.

In your 1st paragraph, you mention, (I underlined in red) the shot must be struck firm! Does appear or from the sound from my video that "I" struck the CB, 'firm?' I did not! Does it look like "I", 'semi-masse' the CB? I did not! The cue is slightly, 'elevated' because of the CB being frozen to it!

There is certainly a, "Secret" to making the shot in the fashion "I" did! It has to do with an element I left out of my explanation to Patty! You know, stroke, timing, tempo, speed and delivery. It's in there, can someone decipher it? HINT, Think proper correct grip on the cue!
I'll post an excerpt from, 'a guys' book later.

I know I'm being a little bit of a stinker! But, I want players to think and examine what "I" post about this subject to LEARN, that's all!
Old 09-18-2018, 04:40 PM

Here's the photo from Patty, I drew thew lines of attack into the CB and the carom into the 1st rail, then the huge swing to the corner pocket!

Attachment 23434

Last edited by mr3cushion; 02-05-2019 at 12:13 PM.
Old 09-18-2018, 04:50 PM
Verified Member

Well Freddy said keep a loose grip
Old 09-18-2018, 04:56 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Does it look like "I", 'semi-masse' the CB? I did not! The cue is slightly, 'elevated' because of the CB being frozen to it!
Yes, and that's how I shot it too. But even the minimum elevation needed here causes some swerve, especially at the controlled speed needed. One of the difficulties for me is overcoming the urge to hit it harder, within my speed comfort zone for shots like this.

pj
chgo
Old 09-18-2018, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Johnson View Post
Yes, and that's how I shot it too. But even the minimum elevation needed here causes some swerve, especially at the controlled speed needed. One of the difficulties for me is overcoming the urge to hit it harder, within my speed comfort zone for shots like this.

pj
chgo
So Patty, is it your contention, that if I move the CB off the cushion 4" or 5" that I have to elevate the cue in order to make the shot as shown here? BTW, going into the OB at the SAME angle! I smell a bet on my side coming! If I'm forced to, I might bet I can run into the, 'frozen ball after 1 rail!'
Old 09-18-2018, 07:29 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Here's the photo from Patty, I drew thew lines of attack into the CB and the carom into the 1st rail, then the huge swing to the corner pocket!

Attachment 23434
The cue ball in the actual shot looks to be sitting higher on the rail than you have it diagramed. If it were actually placed where you have it diagramed I don’t think there is any way you could contact the frozen ball first with a level cue while 5-6 inches off the rail. Keep in mind you would have to keep the same angle to the OB though. 5-6 inches off the rail means more straight in of a shot....wouldn’t it?
Old 09-18-2018, 07:59 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
So Patty,
What's with the "Patty" stuff? Did I make a mistake calling you Billy? I thought that's what people call you. Sorry if not.

I'll enjoy (and learn from) any demonstration you want to show us, but I'll pass on the drama, thanks.

pj
chgo
Old 09-18-2018, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Johnson View Post
What's with the "Patty" stuff? Did I make a mistake calling you Billy? I thought that's what people call you. Sorry if not.

I'll enjoy (and learn from) any demonstration you want to show us, but I'll pass on the drama, thanks.

pj
chgo
You did! It's is and was reserved for my family and close friends! I've never even been formally introduced to you! Now you know!

I enjoy instructing! I've been doing it since 1986-87.

Last edited by mr3cushion; 09-18-2018 at 08:18 PM.