Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2018, 11:55 AM
Suspended

Default Solving the time issues...

I'm going to speak to friend of mine, to consider shortening the time frame for 1 pocket, the 3 day tournaments!

One aspect, that "I" know of, is to cap the field at 32, PAID in ADVANCE by a SPECIFIC DATE! Maybe also the, 'Host room' must have at least 8 Tables for play!

In 3C, because it is so universally organized, NO ONE is allowed to enter an event, 'last minute'! NO matter how big or small!

ALL the 1P org. events have much advance notice for intended entrants to get their 's**t together to be a qualified participant!

Still a race to 3.

A format that they have used in 3C for some time now is, that's say, 32 players, 8 flights of 4, the top 2 of each flight advance to a semi-finals of 4 flights of 4 players, once again top 2 from each flight (8 players) advance to a single elimination Finals.

Another idea, the, 'shot-clock.' The problem is a player will stall at the right times to get the win! It could be solved by awarding points for a Win, (1 point), Win by time, (.05 point) and a Loss, (0). Just some ideas, I'm throwing out there. When I speak to my friend, who has more experience in the, Time/math aspect of it I'll relay it.

Last edited by mr3cushion; 10-29-2018 at 12:37 PM.
Old 10-29-2018, 12:03 PM
Verified Member

here is another thought
for seniors and super seniors only find a room with 4 1/2 pockets no tighter
it will allow more ball pocketing which will make the games go faster
and you will need to move better because it will be easier to make a ball
i cant tell you how many games i saw were prolonged because a ball hung stopping a run which led to the players started to choose "safer " shots
due to lack of confidence in their ball pocketing when more offensive shots were available
just sayin
Old 10-29-2018, 12:09 PM

I find it difficult to understand why it takes players that have been playing one pocket for years to size up the table and shoot. Slow play should be penalized. It is in golf. Why not in one pocket? Yesterday was excruciating just from a spectators standpoint. Five hours for the first match. One hour longer than it takes to play 18 holes of golf.
Old 10-29-2018, 12:14 PM
Verified Member

I'm 100% for moving to a chess style shot clock to solve this problem. And it is a problem. I love this game of one pocket as much as anyone, and I practice a style of contemplative play that calls for some time to be spent reviewing my options before pulling the trigger, and I'm also willing to spend hours watching matches, live or on TV, but it is no fun anymore when players are taking minutes on almost every shot to make up their fricking minds on what they hope to be the perfect choice.

I will also argue that it isn't fair when one player takes a much longer time to contemplate options than the other player. There is a reason why players look em over until it hurts; they come up with better solutions. If one player is patient enough to stand there considering the choices for minutes at a time, they will come up with more better solutions than the player who is less patient or more cognizant of the pace of play. The more patient player takes advantage of the situation when they play someone who makes up their mind faster.

Shot clock. Set for 30 minutes per player per game. If you run out of time, you lose. Period.
Old 10-29-2018, 12:17 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookeland Billy View Post
I find it difficult to understand why it takes players that have been playing one pocket for years to size up the table and shoot. Slow play should be penalized. It is in golf. Why not in one pocket? Yesterday was excruciating just from a spectators standpoint. Five hours for the first match. One hour longer than it takes to play 18 holes of golf.
Yes. I enjoy watching one pocket, but I couldn't sit through two innings of walking around the table for 5 minutes.

pj
chgo
Old 10-29-2018, 12:27 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobermory View Post
I'm 100% for moving to a chess style shot clock to solve this problem. And it is a problem. I love this game of one pocket as much as anyone, and I practice a style of contemplative play that calls for some time to be spent reviewing my options before pulling the trigger, and I'm also willing to spend hours watching matches, live or on TV, but it is no fun anymore when players are taking minutes on almost every shot to make up their fricking minds on what they hope to be the perfect choice.

I will also argue that it isn't fair when one player takes a much longer time to contemplate options than the other player. There is a reason why players look em over until it hurts; they come up with better solutions. If one player is patient enough to stand there considering the choices for minutes at a time, they will come up with more better solutions than the player who is less patient or more cognizant of the pace of play. The more patient player takes advantage of the situation when they play someone who makes up their mind faster.

Shot clock. Set for 30 minutes per player per game. If you run out of time, you lose. Period.
In 3C who do use a, 'shot-clock.' The timer is set for 40 seconds, if the player exceeds the 40 seconds, his opponent is awarded the, 'break-shot'! Each player is allowed three 40 second extensions per match.

What should the clock be set for, (in seconds) for each player per inning? 60, 50 seconds, with 2 or 3 (? seconds) extensions per game.

BTW, any winner announced yet?
Old 10-29-2018, 12:36 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr3cushion View Post
In 3C who do use a, 'shot-clock.' The timer is set for 40 seconds, if the player exceeds the 40 seconds, his opponent is awarded the, 'break-shot'! Each player is allowed three 40 second extensions per match.

What should the clock be set for, (in seconds) for each player per inning? 60, 50 seconds, with 2 or 3 (? seconds) extensions per game.

BTW, any winner announced yet?
In 3C, who manages the shot clock? The players or a ref? If a ref was handling the duties, a per shot time might work, but when there is no ref, a per game time would be much more manageable. A per game time would also force players to value every second on the clock, and they'd be less inclined to use up 40 seconds on every shot.
Old 10-29-2018, 12:39 PM
Verified Member

What about round robin format, races to whatever, set time limit. Count balls the entire event, and the player with the highest number of balls wins.

I actually heard ronnie allen saying we should play by the ball count years ago. Not the same as i said above. I forget where i heard him say that. When he was in the booth or something.
Old 10-29-2018, 12:42 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobermory View Post
In 3C, who manages the shot clock? The players or a ref? If a ref was handling the duties, a per shot time might work, but when there is no ref, a per game time would be much more manageable. A per game time would also force players to value every second on the clock, and they'd be less inclined to use up 40 seconds on every shot.
There are SO MANY apps for this, with 98% of people having, 'smart phones,' they could easily be used in, 1P events. Major events the refs handle the program. In minor ones, the players do. When your inning is over, you go back to your seat, hit a button, and your opponents time starts! The only issue for, per inning shot-clock is, when a player is running balls! The seated player, on his or her honor, would have to stop the clock during that time! And resume it when stops running balls! Doesn't sound like the shot clock method is the right one for 1P, IMHO!

Last edited by mr3cushion; 10-29-2018 at 01:01 PM.
Old 10-29-2018, 12:46 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chapo View Post
What about round robin format, races to whatever, set time limit. Count balls the entire event, and the player with the highest number of balls wins.

I actually heard ronnie allen saying we should play by the ball count years ago. Not the same as i said above. I forget where i heard him say that. When he was in the booth or something.
Then players will start playing, 'The Wedge' when they get a 5 or 6 ball lead!

Anytime you have a shot-clock set for the entire match, you will have, HUGE issues between players!

Last edited by mr3cushion; 10-29-2018 at 12:57 PM.