Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2018, 05:23 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrookelandBilly View Post
What I am curious about is not only the length of the match but the score. Did it take 2 hours to play a match were the score was 8/2 and then did the next match take 50 minutes to get to 8/7? Then look at the individual players and measure the lenth of their games. What were the pocket sizes for the tables? Are the matches longer at the beginning of play or towards the end of the tornament? I'm sure a statistition can come up with more criteria as long as it can be useful in setting up a tornament and looking at the size of the field. I'm all in favor of penalizing slow play financially like they do in golf. If you play past a certain time restraint then you are required to antē up to the pot that's thrown into the prize money.
I believe someone else would be better qualified to answer your questions, thanks, Whitey
Old 11-10-2018, 09:04 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrookelandBilly View Post
Iíve read all of the suggestions. Has anyone accumulated any stats as to the average length of a one pocket match in tournament play in the previous onepocket.org tournaments? I think a lot of the suggestions need to be tested to see if there is an improvement in the time for a race to 3 where two players can play as few as 3 games and as many as 6. Thatís a significant difference especially when your talking about time. Too many rules outside of the standard rules make the application subject to error.

How about playing the races as follows: 8;7;8;8;7 and 8 (or some variation even considering playing to 6). I think a hill/hill match should always be played to 8.
I think we have a member who has kept detailed stats from several of the major streamed One Pocket tournaments. I believe his name is Atlarge and I will look for his stats now...
Old 11-10-2018, 09:14 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH Steve View Post
I think we have a member who has kept detailed stats from several of the major streamed One Pocket tournaments. I believe his name is Atlarge and I will look for his stats now...
Here we go -- five different events with times listed for all of the matches:
2015 Accu stats Make it happen -- average game length overall 20 min (shot clock used)
The slowest match averaged 28 min per game
http://www.onepocket.org/forum/showp...8&postcount=38

2016 Accu stats Make it happen -- average game length overall 16 min (shot clock used)
Tony Chohan played in this one, and the slowest match still only averaged 23 min per game!!
https://forums.azbilliards.com/showp...00&postcount=1

2017 Accu stats Make it happen -- average game length overall 18 min (shot clock used)
Slowest match this tournament still averaged 25 min per game!
https://forums.azbilliards.com/showp...61&postcount=1

2018 DCC in the Accustats pit -- so a shot clock was used -- average game length 20 min
The slowest match averaged 52 min per game
https://forums.azbilliards.com/showp...16&postcount=1

Buffaloes 2018 -- average game length 28 minutes
Slowest match average game was 36 minutes per game
https://forums.azbilliards.com/showp...88&postcount=1

Of course these are pros competing, and they have more firepower than we do, but some of them can also can grind out a long extended safety game for sure -- I mean, there is a reason the wedge is sometimes called a "Varner wedge"

Last edited by NH Steve; 11-10-2018 at 09:31 PM. Reason: added data
Old 11-14-2018, 10:59 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH Steve
I'm kind of feeling like this chip tourney idea is starting to take me right back to the RR idea, but single games in the RR. That avoids all those little potential pitfalls, and only leaves us back with the initial issue -- slow players lol

Steve, this is from your discussion about Chip format! But your comment reminded me of my first thought of RR; 'single game against the other players'. Of course in the main tournament it could be formulated many ways.

But your idea of a last chance tourney, how about this? 16 players; 4 groups of 4 on 8 tables playing each player once, 3 games each with 1 player adv. from ea. group. Semi; 4 players on 2 tables w/ 2 players advancing to final of race to 2. Lag for break! 25% chance of adv. to semi final, with a 50% chance of being in the final. Getting to the semi final means you would of played 6 different players.

Seed players by their W/L record in the main event. All games lag for break. Pay 25% of field. It would go quick, buy in whatever! But if you adv. 2 players out of the 1st rd. then it adds another rd. but then all rds. have a 50% chance of adv. Then I would have the buy in more, because you have a much better chance of advancing!

Many ways to adj. format. For instance; the semi-final rd. of 4 players could go to a race of 2, w/ final a race to 3, if time and/or a higher buy in warrants it.

There is a couple of reasons I am suggesting this for a last chance tourny, and especially if the next MOT stays with a traditional 3/3 format! 1. this gives players a feel of what it is like to play a RR. 2. Players like I, that it is their 1st MOT and do not really know anyone personally, I knew Jay, can then get to meet and play some more players and this can lead into matching up when tables open up after 1st. rd, for otherwise how do you know the other players and know how to match up! Whitey

Last edited by Dennis "Whitey" Young; 11-14-2018 at 11:31 AM. Reason: added positive points!
Old 11-14-2018, 11:30 AM
Verified Member

I don't pretend to know how to solve the time issues but I have been watching some 3C on You Tube lately and I've noticed that the shot clock seems to interfere with shot selection/execution. The players are constantly looking over at the clock to see how much time they have left in their decision making and readying for their respective shot. It looks pretty bad actually and in some cases it has affected the final results. They are allowed, I think, some time outs per match but none the less it looks like they are being rushed into their shots. For us, it seems like we just need to start a little earlier on our arrival days and allow for some slow play because us old geezers do play slow. It's the nature of getting OLD.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:50 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry matchin View Post
I don't pretend to know how to solve the time issues but I have been watching some 3C on You Tube lately and I've noticed that the shot clock seems to interfere with shot selection/execution. The players are constantly looking over at the clock to see how much time they have left in their decision making and readying for their respective shot. It looks pretty bad actually and in some cases it has affected the final results. They are allowed, I think, some time outs per match but none the less it looks like they are being rushed into their shots. For us, it seems like we just need to start a little earlier on our arrival days and allow for some slow play because us old geezers do play slow. It's the nature of getting OLD.
Jerry, I agree, and I remember one post that said the enjoyment of the game was taken away because of watching a clock.

'for those matches only'; I feel if a player is obviously and unreasonably taking an exceptionally long time to shoot on shots, 2,3,4 or 5 min. ea. shot, I then think it would be ok to emplace a rule; that after no shot is taken within a minute then they are given a warning, and must shoot within the next 30 sec., or lose a point, is appropriate. Allow 1 extension of 30 sec./game, and if both players are doing it then place both players on this 1 minute rule.

I do not agree with this rule being placed upon every match. To make my position on this clearer!

What do you think? I think this could be decided upon at the player's meeting. Or better yet, player's meeting rules can be decided upon prior to the MOT.

My limited experience in MOT is that players play at a respectable pace. Eliminating player fatigue goes along ways in speeding up play, without a clock!Whitey

Last edited by Dennis "Whitey" Young; 11-14-2018 at 12:25 PM.
Old 11-15-2018, 12:10 PM
Verified Member

As I said earlier, some matches are just going to play out taking a longer time to finish. It only takes one of these type matches to slow the whole event down. We just have to start earlier and tweak the chart to get matches going.