Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2018, 06:06 PM
Verified Member

This has been discussed over and over and the same suggestions are brought up over and over. I don't know what the best solution is but i will say that some very experienced players look over the table for minutes and then shoot the obvious shot. It just ruins the game!!!! I myself tend to play on the slower side but nothing like what i saw yesterday.

I guess if you don't put shot clocks in you will never solve the problem unless you change the rules of the game, which would be a shame. keith
Old 10-29-2018, 06:22 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr3cushion View Post
I think if you use a shot-clock as a per game time limit, then you need a, 'point award system' to determine a, Win, draw (tied ball count at end of time limit) a win by time default and loss. possibly w=2 pts. draw by time=1 point, win by time=.05 points and loss=0.
This just makes it too complicated. With a shot clock, there is no need to count the balls; If you run out of time, you lose the game. End of story. You could be ahead 7-0 when you run out of time, and you'd lose the game. A shot clock would make each player value their possessions, as it were; play briskly most of the time but use more time when you really need to think it over; you'd have to weigh the situation and act accordingly, always with the diminishing time in mind.
Old 10-29-2018, 06:39 PM
Verified Member

I'm sure mr.no-pocket meant to say half a point, not a twentieth.
Old 10-29-2018, 06:55 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapros View Post
I'm sure mr.no-pocket meant to say half a point, not a twentieth.
My bad!

I did mention the 1/2 point to another poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis "Whitey" Young View Post
Respectfully, the counter to this is; if a player is ahead on ball count they then can slow down play tell time runs out! Whitey

Yes, if that occurs, that player ONLY receives 1/2 point for that win, NOT a full 2 points! Winners of matches that appear to be tied in W's will be determined by the TOTAL points for ALL the matches if brackets are used as the format!
Old 10-29-2018, 07:34 PM
Verified Member

Here we go again. lol I've layed out the time frames, number of matches to complete etc multiple times and showed how it simply will not work with 3/3 races, but it is always ignored. The bus drivers just keep ignoring the simple math over and over again..lol I keep thinking of the Saturday Night live skit when they keep putting Toonces the driving cat behind the wheel of the car and they all seemed so surprised when Toonces keeps driving them over that same cliff over and over...lol
Old 10-29-2018, 08:37 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabbcatjohn View Post
Here we go again. lol I've layed out the time frames, number of matches to complete etc multiple times and showed how it simply will not work with 3/3 races, but it is always ignored. The bus drivers just keep ignoring the simple math over and over again..lol I keep thinking of the Saturday Night live skit when they keep putting Toonces the driving cat behind the wheel of the car and they all seemed so surprised when Toonces keeps driving them over that same cliff over and over...lol
John, thanks for the flashback = I haven't thought about Toonces for 25 years...Riva and I just you tubed Toonces and watched an old video of the skit - we laughed just as much as we did back then....

- Ghost
Old 10-29-2018, 08:44 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Pocket Ghost View Post
John, thanks for the flashback = I haven't thought about Toonces for 25 years...Riva and I just you tubed Toonces and watched an old video of the skit - we laughed just as much as we did back then....

- Ghost
Yea, that was a great skit. I just revisited a bunch my self after you did.. Lol I think the same crash just made it funnier every time...lol Hope to see you all in Nov if I can swing it.

Last edited by crabbcatjohn; 10-29-2018 at 09:03 PM.
Old 10-29-2018, 10:12 PM
Verified Member

While finishing a tournament in a timely fashion is a worthwhile goal in and of itself, for me, a true one pocket fan who loves to play and loves to watch the game, there is more to be considered.

Don't want to hurt anybody's feelers but this got to be a most BORING spectacle, so much so that I couldn't watch much more than a couple of hours before I just didn't give a damn who won whatever match I was watching, so I turned it off.

The anticipation of watching some very good and experienced players play one pocket, unfortunately far, far outweighs the actual experience when players just bump the ball around (and take a ridiculous amount of time to even do that) playing safety after safety.

I think it may be that too many of the players that felt they had a chance to win or at least get into the money, did everything they could to not be eliminated or even get put into the one loss side of the brackets.

THIS WAS SIMPLY NO FUN TO WATCH. You may say, well then, don't watch, but that ignores the "damage" being done to the games image, which we ought to be concerned about.

At least 3 or 4 of the players that got into the money were guilty of contributing greatly to the very, very slow play. This is hurting our games image every time it is on display in one of these tournaments, and must eventually be addressed.

This is a very different problem than just finishing the tournament at a reasonable time, and may be even more important to the game overall.

From what I saw, i don't think a Grady rule would help much either, only a shot clock (either by the shot or by the game could begin to address this type of play).

Thank goodness I didn't pay good money to be bored like this. If I had I still wouldda turned some of these matches off. And then to have the players themselves acknowledge the frustration by chopping up the first and second place money, and failing to determine a winner, well, tooo much.

I know this wasn't a OP.org tournament, but as an organization trying to promote OP we gotta see the problem and offer up some ideas, don't we?

Old 10-29-2018, 11:47 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookeland Billy View Post
Years ago when there was a playoff on the PGA Tour the players involved in the playoff agreed amongst themselves to divide the first and second money equally before the first playoff hole. Itís since been outlawed to do this in playoffs. It should be outlawed in pool. It takes away from the competitiveness. Pool could learn a lot from other sports especially golf. It needs a governing body with complete aythority to make and enforce rules. It is too fractured by having too many leagues and sponsors that controll the sport with no consistency.
This was not a professional tournament, so I don't think that applies at all. For pro tournaments, I can see the case for no savers but they're a basic fact of life for as long as they payouts are so low from second place on down.
Old 10-30-2018, 01:24 AM
Verified Member

Default Solving the time issues...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobermory View Post
This just makes it too complicated. With a shot clock, there is no need to count the balls; If you run out of time, you lose the game. End of story. You could be ahead 7-0 when you run out of time, and you'd lose the game. A shot clock would make each player value their possessions, as it were; play briskly most of the time but use more time when you really need to think it over; you'd have to weigh the situation and act accordingly, always with the diminishing time in mind.

But...faster player could continue to move balls uptable to expire the slower opponent, lol