Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2019, 06:17 PM
Verified Member

Default Carbon fiber shafts

Which carbon fiber shaft do you prefer
Old 03-23-2019, 08:06 PM
Verified Member

Default Carbon shafts

I have a predat or 12.4 I like it.
Old 03-23-2019, 09:29 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmoretallpaul View Post
Which carbon fiber shaft do you prefer
I tried a Predator Revo 12.9 -- I still have it, but I don't like the sound of it at all. And since I already play with a wood Predator low deflection shaft, to me the Revo doesn't even seem to have a significant degree of less deflection than their wood Predators, so what is the point?? If I was going from a standard wood shaft to a carbon fiber, yes that would be a big difference. But as I see it, not so much between those two kinds of Predator...

Last edited by NH Steve; 03-23-2019 at 10:55 PM. Reason: specific shaft
Old 03-23-2019, 10:11 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quball1 View Post
I have a predat or 12.4 I like it.
Me too. Predator 12.4 i like had a 12.9 and didnt like it and sold it. I have a Jacoby black 30 " coming.
Old 03-24-2019, 06:41 AM
Verified Member

welcome to the site

this is a thread i started on azb

becue/revo/cuetec carbon fiber are not the holy grail..YIKES
I HAVE TRIED ALL 3 AND HAVE RETURNED ALL 3...
i did not see any magical energy transfer/super spin generation/or better low deflection properties than my ob1+
maybe i dont play good enough to appreciate cabon fiber shafts
but its still the indian not the arrow and for me this was not a better arrow
jmho
icbw

Last edited by lll; 03-24-2019 at 06:47 AM.
Old 03-26-2019, 08:40 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lll View Post
welcome to the site

this is a thread i started on azb

becue/revo/cuetec carbon fiber are not the holy grail..YIKES
I HAVE TRIED ALL 3 AND HAVE RETURNED ALL 3...
i did not see any magical energy transfer/super spin generation/or better low deflection properties than my ob1+
maybe i dont play good enough to appreciate cabon fiber shafts
but its still the indian not the arrow and for me this was not a better arrow
jmho
icbw
Thanks, i have only tried the shafts but never purchased. I was told to give it a week or two. Well, those same people with thd advice have converted back to maple. Question answered i guess
Old 03-26-2019, 10:23 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmoretallpaul View Post
Thanks, i have only tried the shafts but never purchased. I was told to give it a week or two. Well, those same people with thd advice have converted back to maple. Question answered i guess
I'm looking at stiffening my maple setup even more. I did notice Jayson Shaw, uses a Long cue, maybe 64'' or greater. Makes me wonder if more length/more wood is as effective as a CF shaft with a tight grain. I'm gonna cut a worn out shaft 5'' and use my 5'' back, use my extension and make the 29'' shaft length 2 pieces. More forward weight and I'm looking forward to giving it a go.
no link....
Old 03-26-2019, 10:45 AM
Verified Member

Default Carbon fiber shafts

IMO anytime you switch shafts with different deflection characteristics, you have to relearn how to manage deflection. The problem is that even if you have the time, itís still difficult to change your old aiming process. Itís takes longer to convert these new adjustments into instincts. (Sometimes youíre thinking about several different aspects of the next shot and you forget to account for something. This happens in between when youíve learned how the new shaft is different and when it becomes instinctive on how to use it.). Iíve been trying different shaft technologies lately and have had to learn different shaft behaviors. Itís very hard to fully commit and get to the same level of comfort. I have not tried the expensive carbon fiber shafts but I had a predator 314-2, and then started tinkering with custom stuff. Sometimes I wonder if we really know whatís good for ourselves, lol. A former #1 ranked player likes stiffer shafts with a heavy front end causing high deflection and a hard tip. A former old school road hustler like the whippiest shafts they can find. Itís just a preference. There are pros and cons to both. Itís not going to make your stroke any better. In fact, I think a standard maple shaft with a moderate deflection can counteract off center hits at certain speeds. If that speed is your go to speed then you can benefit from it. Conversely, if you are using a carbon fiber shaft and hit off center a lot, using softer speeds, it may be frustrating for you to manage spin.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:51 AM
Verified Member

I don't like the carbon fiber for One Pocket. The extreme english needed for many shots in One Pocket are not available with the carbon fiber shafts. For all other games carbon fiber probably is the best shaft to use, IMO. The ball striking needed for close up shots makes little difference between the two shafts either way. Maybe I'm too old to change and that's probably the case but I'm sticking to what I learned to play with.
Old 03-26-2019, 12:10 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry matchin View Post
I don't like the carbon fiber for One Pocket. The extreme english needed for many shots in One Pocket are not available with the carbon fiber shafts. For all other games carbon fiber probably is the best shaft to use, IMO. The ball striking needed for close up shots makes little difference between the two shafts either way. Maybe I'm too old to change and that's probably the case but I'm sticking to what I learned to play with.
This is exactly why I gave up on low deflection shafts-I felt like I couldnt "twist" bank with them. I played great with a ob1 but couldnt bank for chit