Shaft size

wgcp

Verified Member
From
long beach, mississippi
Most of you know that I play with a Gilbert... 13mm shaft... I have recently gone back to a Jones Cue with an 11mm shaft...

I immediately noticed it was easier to draw a ball, and using the weight of the cue ball with spin for position shots...as in bouncing off the rail and moving the cue 2 diamonds on a diagonal path...

Have any of you experienced this? Or is it just by using the other cue I am having to concentrate more?

Curious...

B

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
bille
a smaller sized shaft lets you see more clearly where you are hitting the cue ball
therefore lower IS lower for draw shots

kollegedave

Verified Member
From
St. Louis, MO
Most of you know that I play with a Gilbert... 13mm shaft... I have recently gone back to a Jones Cue with an 11mm shaft...

I immediately noticed it was easier to draw a ball, and using the weight of the cue ball with spin for position shots...as in bouncing off the rail and moving the cue 2 diamonds on a diagonal path...

Have any of you experienced this? Or is it just by using the other cue I am having to concentrate more?

Curious...

B

If you want to see for yourself you could go back and watch every single "What's In the Case" video from Inside Pool, but I have watched EVERY video. Not a single pro-player interviewed plays with a 13mm shaft. Every player played with a shaft in the somewhere in the twelves, and Oscar had a shaft that was 11mm!

I am not saying you have to use an 11mm shaft, but I do think 13 is too big for most people. I play with a 12.5mmish shaft.

kollegedave

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
fwiw i like a 12.5 mm shaft and am considering going to 11.75

You might want to reconsider that. With the smaller tip it's harder to hit the cue ball on the vertical consistently. It's so easy to miss hit the vertical and put some unwanted spin either left or right.
This makes shooting straight in shots a bit difficult. A small amount of unwanted spin and your object ball will throw a bit. This could be critical when you have to shoot a straight in shot that has a little distance and the table is wide open. Instead of you getting a few you give up a few when you miss.

I believe the smaller tip is fine for rotation games where you can open up the stroke and you're spinning the cue ball anyway. Playing rotation games you find that instead of fighting the unwanted spin you go with it instead and subsequently find yourself shooting with more spin. You might want to try 12.25. That small difference is still a lot of difference.

P.S. You can do more things with the smaller shaft but it's more difficult to play with so you will need to be prepared to log in a lot of time on the table on a regular basis.

Last edited:

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
You might want to reconsider that. With the smaller tip it's harder to hit the cue ball on the vertical consistently. It's so easy to miss hit the vertical and put some unwanted spin either left or right.
This makes shooting straight in shots a bit difficult. A small amount of unwanted spin and your object ball will throw a bit. This could be critical when you have to shoot a straight in shot that has a little distance and the table is wide open. Instead of you getting a few you give up a few when you miss.

I believe the smaller tip is fine for rotation games where you can open up the stroke and you're spinning the cue ball anyway. Playing rotation games you find that instead of fighting the unwanted spin you go with it instead and subsequently find yourself shooting with more spin. You might want to try 12.25. That small difference is still a lot of difference.

P.S. You can do more things with the smaller shaft but it's more difficult to play with so you will need to be prepared to log in a lot of time on the table on a regular basis.

Very interesting. Makes sense but I never considered it.

Thanks.

See, this is why we need you around here more often. :)

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
I You might want to try 12.25. That small difference is still a lot of difference.

When I got my current cue it was 12 3/4, I asked the cue maker to take it down a 1/4 he said I'll take it down some but you'll be surprised how much difference just a small amount will make.

He took it down 1/8 th and it's fine and I notice the difference.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl

frank
thanks for your advice...always appreciated....:)

3RAILKICK

Verified Member

P.S. You can do more things with the smaller shaft but it's more difficult to play with so you will need to be prepared to log in a lot of time on the table on a regular basis.[/quote]

A couple of years ago, when I was I playing a lot, I changed from 13mm to 11.7 mm. As Frank mentions, the smaller tip helped spin and draw and force follow the cb around nicely for 9ball.

Now I play one night a week, 9ball. Still with the 11.7 mm tip.

It's comical. The cb still spins, draws and follows all over the table...but not where it needs to be. Maybe if I pocketed a ball, the cb would listen better.:frus

Frank knows stuff.:D

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I don't know the size I am using but I have always had a preference for using something on the thicker side than most.

Skinny butt, thicker shaft (ok, ok, setting myself up for some zingers...)

Just feels more natural to me.