"He's got side boards"

RedCard

Verified Member
I was afraid you, or someone, would say that. I already have a book in mind that will take all my energy as soon as I can get to it. I have other projects that are using me up right now. Skin has a link to a website but it seems too large for anyone to actively read it. One thing that I am proud of can be found in Freddy's book, "The Encyclopedia of Hustlers." My discovery of the origin of the term "Tush Hog" was truly serendipitous.

Tush Hog was used quite a bit around here where I live years ago. Like many of these terms, don't hear them much anymore if at all. It was often shortened, out of respect (or mild fear) to 'Tush'. As in 'Raymond's a pretty good Tush to have around'.

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
A carbuncle is a fat bankroll. I think I learned that from Fat's book, 'The Bank Shot And Other Great Robberies'.

Wild guess at 'overcoat' would be a large female pool groupie who just won't leave you alone.

Edit: Wrong about overcoat. I see where it was explained very clearly by LSJohn.

Jar is/was several different chemicals usually introduced to a player's drink to affect his perception, co-ordination or whatever. Whichever chemical it was that was used around here was done so with the understanding that too much could kill you. Don't know if that part is true or not. I'm sure some strong doses were administered and those strong players kept playing, even if not so well.

Jar can be a verb or a noun.

Of course, you've heard the great story about when Ronny Allen jarred Cornbread and took advantage. Next day Cornbread returned the favor. As Ronny is convulsing on the floor and foaming at the mouth, Cornbread says, "It's yo shot, mutherfocker."

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi

Jar is/was several different chemicals usually introduced to a player's drink to affect his perception, co-ordination or whatever. Whichever chemical it was that was used around here was done so with the understanding that too much could kill you. Don't know if that part is true or not. I'm sure some strong doses were administered and those strong players kept playing, even if not so well.

Jar can be a verb or a noun.
You're referring to chloral hydrate, the original "Mickey Finn". Purportedly the effective dose was not far from the lethal dose, but yet chloral hydrate is no more dangerous than any other sedative. However combining it with alcohol can severely increase the effect, and is very dangerous. In fact, I've stopped giving it to my opponents...:cool:

~Doc

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
You're referring to chloral hydrate, the original "Mickey Finn". Purportedly the effective dose was not far from the lethal dose, but yet chloral hydrate is no more dangerous than any other sedative. However combining it with alcohol can severely increase the effect, and is very dangerous. In fact, I've stopped giving it to my opponents...:cool:

~Doc

Scopolamine was one of the first " Jar " Drugs.

Jimmy B

Verified Member
I used chloral hydrate several times. It helps you get some sleep. I also drank heavily with it, but usually just a bunch of beer. I got it in a jelly cap very similar to the placidyl, 750,, but I didn't jar folks with it. I did jar myself, unknowingly, with a tablet called sopor one time. Found out later it was the exact same med and mm as the 300 quaalude.. I took that loss better than any other one, to date. I still was able to pull up way before I went broke. No drug, including scopolamine could make me go broke like that.. Chloral hydrate has been around a while. Abraham Lincoln's wife took it. Marilyn Monroe and Anna Nicole Smith tested for it after death, so be very cautious if you mix or drink with it. My system is different than others...

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL

I first heard of this by reading about it in one of Freddy's books. Recently, I saw a documentary about it in Columbia. This is a very bad drug. People just blow it in your face from a handkerchief or something and you become totally subject to their will. Women are raped, people withdraw life savings to give to the perp., and all manner of serious consequences are exacted from the victim who goes along willingly and wakes up with amnesia about everything that went on.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri

Yeah, that's hyocine, which in my area -- KC at that time -- was usually mispronounced "hyacinthe" but I think it had to have some other catalytic agent to produce the "jar" effects, but at higher doses its effects are unpredictable but not good.

Last edited:

John Brumback

Verified Member
I once heard a story about some road man that could hit a drink from across the room by shooting it out of an "eye drops" bottle:eek:

John B.

Deeman

Verified Member
I first heard of this by reading about it in one of Freddy's books. Recently, I saw a documentary about it in Columbia. This is a very bad drug. People just blow it in your face from a handkerchief or something and you become totally subject to their will. Women are raped, people withdraw life savings to give to the perp., and all manner of serious consequences are exacted from the victim who goes along willingly and wakes up with amnesia about everything that went on.

Petie,

I do remember one our guys in Memphis that they jarred in the early 80 ' but he had so many other drugs in his system or such a high tolerance he actually shot better until he just passed out. I think we kept him safe til the bad guys gave up and went back to easier prey.

He's passed now so I'll keep his name out of it but he knew many of you. I am just lucky I didn't jar myself back then. :)

Deeman

Verified Member
I once heard a story about some road man that could hit a drink from across the room by shooting it out of an "eye drops" bottle:eek:

John B.

John,

I don't think I ever took my hands off my drinks at Junior Goff 's place. :) Arkansas, Blytheville, Hot Springs and such were crazy places back in the 60's!

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
Steve Oaks, the great road man from Indianapolis, told me about getting jarred with 'shit mix' in Kentucky. It is a horse laxative given to thoroughbreds to make them lighter and faster. Dire consequences when taken by humans.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Steve Oaks, the great road man from Indianapolis, told me about getting jarred with 'shit mix' in Kentucky. It is a horse laxative given to thoroughbreds to make them lighter and faster. Dire consequences when taken by humans.

You don't jar someone to make them sick so they can't play.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I forgot about this place, petie. Otherwise I would have checked it for "sideboards" first. Indeed they have the definition. But your terms aren't there. "Cod lock" is there, though. :)

You can submit terms with definitions to them at the site. Maybe you'd like to do that for some of yours. Just a suggestion.

http://www.billiardsforum.info/billiard-terms.asp

Actually I don't know whose website that is, but I am pretty certain they started "their" list of terms by importing the "One Pocket Glossary" here on onepocket.org that I wrote myself: http://www.onepocket.org/one_pocket_glossary.htm

Since they ripped off my entire glossary a few years back when they first went online it appears they have since added some additional terms but I don't hold much respect for sites like that, that are basically built by ripping off content. Seriously -- when I first noticed that site their list was basically my list, except they added example sentences, some of which make quite clear they had no idea what the term actually meant, lol. Better for us to just add to the list on this site please, than encourage that kind of intellectual property rip-off.

Likewise if you look at "their" One Pocket rules, it is just ours, lock stock and barrel with no link or credit to OnePocket.org.

RedCard

Verified Member

Sounds suspicously like the famed 'shit mickey'. A buddy told me it was usually a baby laxative called 'mannite'. Another name for it is 'Manitol' and it has several legitimate medical uses but in higher doses it is sold as a child's laxative. It is apparently quick acting, route of administration the same as any traditional mickey or jar — via drink. My friend claims to have once used it to clear a knocker from a bar. He said he considered trying to lock the bathroom door first for amusement but the guy tight-legged it right out of the bar when it hit.

I saw Steve Oaks name on a chalkboard right by the elevator door in a poolroom in Indy several years ago, across from an old renovated RR station. It was on one of the higher floors where they had recently had a tournament he was in. Next to the chalkboard was a sign that said 'No Gambling Aloud'.