One Pocket Income/On the Rail

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Here's a thought. Get a couple very knowlegable players to watch a match for a client. After the match give the client the perspectives/insights/ strengths/weaknesses of what you witnessed. It could easily be another top player. I think the client would relish this information and I think it would be a VERY effecitive teaching tool, as you'd give the client copy of your notes, and then some discussion. Instruction is not normally done in this way, but two pros/video/client/notes....allot of good could come from teaching this way. A faster way of learning....for a Player.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Bwala !!!

Bwala !!!

....do this at the DCC I think,Freddie,Danny,Billy etc.But yes,a good idea....

And those guy's do a good job at their clinics !...But, in all seriousness.. I think Island Drive (Bill) has come up with an excellent concept !..Client/teacher could pick their choice of thousands of matches (Live, archive or youtube)...and the 'teacher' could comment on the various merit (or lack thereof) of ANY specific shot, (or the entire flow of the game) in that particular video...And it could all be done, via email, PM, or open post...Great idea Bill !!!

I personally see no need for two player's.. One really good instructor should suffice !..It really could open up a whole new advanced, and easily doable, method of 'very fast track' teaching and instruction !..:) ...I nominate Dr. Bill, to give it a test run..With lll (Larry) as his 'pupil'..;)...Larry pays VERY close attention, and he can ask some tough questions !..:cool:

SuperDuck <--Is a little burned out on WWYD's (as I have forgotten most, of what I ever knew)..So I would not be interested in this pursuit, (in the unlikely event any one should ask !)..However, I seem to be in the minority...Sooooo,...Go for it Larry (and others)..I DO thoroughly endorse the concept...And Good Luck ! :D

Last edited:

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
For years I've had students sit down with me to watch One Pocket Videos. I would add my two cents to the commentary offered on the video. These videos are an excellent tool to learn One Pocket. Anytime I would sit to watch a match live or taped I would try to find another player to banter about the play. By getting another players perspective you will occasionally be exposed to a new way of playing the game. BTW if the match you are watching is live please be sure the players can't hear you. There is nothing more distracting then to hear a couple guys critique the play.

Dr. Bill's commentary is in my opinion the best in the business. He is consistant in his shot selection and he is always objective without any bias toward one player or the other. With Bill's commentary it is difficult to know who he is rooting for and that is a very good thing which helps to demonstrates his professionalism. His articulate analysis is usually spot on. Anyone interested in learning One Pocket will be in good hands with Bill's analysis.

Tom

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Call em Bird Dogs

Call em Bird Dogs

I think it would be better if two guys like Billy watched and took notes, up close and sweated Every Shot. It would be easy to bring up the miscues after the fact, and then U'd give em your notes and maybe to clarify, go over the video (if there is one). But a side crew that Sweats close but makes No Sounds, just notes and situations..........Then rehash the match immediately after, get some coffee, or a bite to each. Pool players HATE good food:D.

I'd prefer two perspectives on the exact same shots, plus one or the other may find other problems not related to board play.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Good idea

Good idea

Island Drive, the way I read this, you are talking about getting someone (or more than one) expert to watch a video of the client in a match, and provide critique and advice to the client based on what they saw the client shoot. Is that right?

This to me sounds like a new idea and might be of interest to experts that want to coach/instruct from long distance (because the match can be shot and sent to them and then the commentary added in real time as they watch the match) -- but a little technology would be needed to dub in or overlay the commentary/critique/advice. Ideally, the expert could pause or rewind parts of the match so they could telestrate alternate suggestions.

Could be very interesting and also becomes something that the client can go back and watch multiple times if they wish.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Live

Live

Island Drive, the way I read this, you are talking about getting someone (or more than one) expert to watch a video of the client in a match, and provide critique and advice to the client based on what they saw the client shoot. Is that right?

This to me sounds like a new idea and might be of interest to experts that want to coach/instruct from long distance (because the match can be shot and sent to them and then the commentary added in real time as they watch the match) -- but a little technology would be needed to dub in or overlay the commentary/critique/advice. Ideally, the expert could pause or rewind parts of the match so they could telestrate alternate suggestions.

Could be very interesting and also becomes something that the client can go back and watch multiple times if they wish.

Good idea, mine was from the perspective of Live, in the moment with the two instructors/teachers watching and takin' notes and then rehash immediately after the match, win or loose.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
I think it would be better if two guys like Billy watched and took notes, I'd prefer two perspectives on the exact same shots, plus one or the other may find other problems not related to board play.

That may well be Bill,..But, don't you think those situations (watching a live match) would be quite rare ?...My thinking was, the 'client/student' could pick out a DVD, of a good match...Then his teacher would automatically have the commentator (Billy I., Fred, or whomever) to go over shot selection with..Granted, it would not be a 'live' exchange, but with creative stopping, or 'pausing'..the student would have the benefit of both HIS instructor's input, and whoever was in the booth. Assuming his 'color' man was also a good, knowledgable player himself, (not always the case) then you'd have 3 inputs, on any given shot.

PS..Not mentioning any names, but SOME 'color' guy's, should be MUTED OUT ! :eek: (meaning, you may get some strange input.. :rolleyes:)

Last edited:

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
That may well be Bill, in a live match..But, don't you think those situations (watching a live match) would be quite rare ?...My thinking was, the 'client/student' could pick out a DVD, of a good match...Then his teacher would automatically have the commentator (Billy I., Fred, or whomever) to go over shot selection with..Granted, it would not be a 'live' exchange, but with creative stopping, or 'pausing'..the student would have the benefit of both HIS instructor's input, and whoever was in the booth.

PS..Not mentioning any names, but SOME 'color' guy's, should be MUTED OUT ! :eek: (meaning, you may get more info than needed..:rolleyes:)

I think a player in a live match, would gladly pay for that in the moment before/after' ''BirdDogs'' instruction. It wouldn't cost a penny to toss that option to the players, it's not like you have to set up cameras, and poor commentators may be great/silent, note taking individuals that are good at one on one instruction. Very, very few do exciting commentary, especially when you compare the current situation to Tommy/color commentator during the Camel Pro tour days. His ignorace of pool combined with a good color man, tied in the public better with the show, he's more on the level and from the perspective of the viewing audience of americans that only understand pool from a similar perspective as his, plus he was also a pro in his field of work.
Pool doesn't have a professional announcer, combined with a pro doing color. All other sports do. I think JCIN and Griffin should think strongly and ''pay the man'' and get a pro announcer and a pro player/teacher....

SJDinPHX

Suspended
I think a player in a live match, would gladly pay for that in the moment before/after' ''BirdDogs'' instruction. It wouldn't cost a penny to toss that option to the players, it's not like you have to set up cameras, and poor commentators may be great/silent, note taking individuals that are good at one on one instruction. Very, very few do exciting commentary, especially when you compare the current situation to Tommy/color commentator during the Camel Pro tour days. His ignorace of pool combined with a good color man, tied in the public better with the show, he's more on the level and from the perspective of the viewing audience of americans that only understand pool from a similar perspective as his, plus he was also a pro in his field of work.
Pool doesn't have a professional announcer, combined with a pro doing color. All other sports do. I think JCIN and Griffin should think strongly and ''pay the man'' and get a pro announcer and a pro player/teacher....

Bill, I am becoming a little confused !(happens all the time)...After my initial post (#4) and then Booth's post (#7)...I became even more enthused, as he had some great input..As I see it, your original concept does NOT require elaborate equipment, nor does it require two or three experts/instructors, on site live, Which may not only be hard to come by, but maybe cost prohibitive.

Here is what "I" thought you were promoting, and what "I" thought Steve expounded on !

(A)...The student selects a video/DVD of his choice, (or the insructor can pick a good one for him)... There are 1000's of very good one's available from streamer's archives, or YouTube..(some are very recent)

(B)...The instructor and the student, can then hook up via "Team Viewer" and can watch the match, on there OWN individual screen AT THE SAME TIME !

(C)...They can also talk with each other via telephone, while they are watching, so anything that is not clear to the student, (such as why, how, etc.)...can be INSTANTLY clarified.

I am severely "Technologically challenged", but even "I" could perform those simple tasks..There may be many other methods, (ie. Facebook, chats, etc) which I'm not familiar with at all..I just know, this is the INFORMATION AGE, and we need to try and keep up..I would be very interested to hear someones take on my interpretation, of YOUR idea.. Like Steve Booth, TylerDurden, or maybe CalRed, who seem to be our resident 'Techies'. (re; pool minutia)

Bill, by "confused" what I meant was, your recent posts, seem like a departure from your original idea...At least as Steve and I interpreted it !
What does whoever Accustats, or TAR hires as their commentator, have to do with an individual 'student/instructor' relationship ?
But, I do agree, theres LOTS of room for improvement in that area..:rolleyes:

SuperDuck <--Might get back in the 'Perfeshunill Innstrockter' business, if someone can polish this up..;)

Last edited:

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
I'm great at typing, but getting to the meat of matters from the keyboard, is not my strength....but I did a copy/paste of a line from the starter thread. Others....then brought up the video situation which is a really great idea too. Doing it live at a big venue would add just that extra to make it better, plus guys like Billy I. can always use an extra buck when traveling and working.

One Pocket Income/On the Rail

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's a thought. Get a couple very knowlegable players to watch a match for a client. After the match give the client the perspectives/insights/ strengths/weaknesses of what you witnessed.

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
When I was still in my One Pocket infancy I would make it a point to sit near a strong player as we watched a match so I could pick his brain. Most good players who are watching a match love to share their knowledge with someone willing to listen and learn. I found the quality of the players was not quite as important as I had thought, however when watching weak players play the game the strong spectator would lose interest and become frustrated with some of the "silliness" they were witnessing.

Still, for the novice player trying to learn I found that I could learn from watching everyone. It isn't always knowing what to do, but also important is knowing what NOT to do.

Tom