Carlo Zingale

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
Am I the only person on here who actually met this very famous pool player? I'm going to withhold his nickname hoping someone else will recognize his real name and have some good stories about him.

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Am I the only person on here who actually met this very famous pool player? I'm going to withhold his nickname hoping someone else will recognize his real name and have some good stories about him.

I'm pretty sure Helfert and a few other on here know him. I never got to meet Mr. K....bump

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Mr. 'Cue Ball Kelly' used to hang around the 'Golden Q Billiards' in Queens during the early 70's when I was around NYC. Nice guy, funny too!

beatle

Verified Member
okay here is the scoop on kelly. he hung around n.y alot and was originally from jersey. despite what his name looks like he was italian. born in the 1800's sometime he was an old man when i knew him. short fattish with a bald head and very nice guy.
he was the main referee for the matches on the east coast. and played very well until he hurt himself and then just spinned the balls by hand. nobody ever achieved what he could do with the balls. although a few came close.
he was one of the first to put on exhibitions that were fun to watch rather than just shooting pool trick shots.
the weasel nubby morgan tried to emulate him to an extent but he was more interested in getting something for nothing instead of being a person.
he was the guy that taught me how to spin the cueball three rails and hit the ball on the spot and bet it would go in 5 shots or less, throwing it again leaving the ball where it stopped.. you could clean out a bar or poolroom with that game by stalling for awhile or with a spread until it became too well known.

FastEddieF.

Verified Member
Cue Ball Kelly

Cue Ball Kelly

Cue Ball Kelly taught a guy named Black Mike from Philly how to get the money spinning the cue ball with different shots such as putting object ball on the spot 3 spins was a lock 2 was even money. Mike was so good it scared me. He took 10 spins on making 3 balls in numerical order with the 1,2 and three ball on the rail frozen with the 1 ball on top 2 ball next and the three ball under the 2 ball one diamond from bottom pocket. The first spin he would go 4 rails and hit the bottom of the 3 ball and they would open up the next spin or spins he would make the 1 ball and so forth. He lived in Baltimore for about 20 years. He had more talent spinning the cue ball then anybody I ever saw.He died in his early 50's Drugs did him in.

beatle

Verified Member
thats why those good propositions get ruined. some sucker always has to show everyone how good they are and ruin it for themselves and everyone. once you do it and win betting in two or three shots you kill the game forever.

its like a magician that shows people how he does his tricks, and then wonders why no one comes to his show anymore.

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
I used to.....

I used to.....

......love watchin the Tenn Tarzan spin the ball down the length of the table and about 3" from the bottom rail the English would catch and go 90 deg sideways......

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
......love watchin the Tenn Tarzan spin the ball down the length of the table and about 3" from the bottom rail the English would catch and go 90 deg sideways......

I've always wanted to learn finger pool - I have really big hands and think I could pick it up quick.

Drop Pocket

Verified Member
From
South Carolina

I heard of him in the early '70s but as Carl not Carlo. Read about him in The National Billiard News, I believe.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I remember Cue Ball Kelly from the World's Invitational at the Hilton in NYC in 1968. "Kelly" always drew a big crowd whenever he'd start spinning the CB around the table. He had a little bit of banter, then the props would start-- either from the crowd or from him. It was a beautiful thing to watch.

Irving Crane won the event that year. It was the only time I ever saw Babe Cranfield.

~Doc

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
I first met Cue Ball Kelly, AKA Carlo Zingale, around 1983 or so at one of the first Midwest Bar Table 9-Ball Opens, a tournament which is still held semi-annually in Indianapolis to this day. Everybody was there. Jimmy Reid, Louie Roberts, Alan Hopkins, Tall Paul, Steve Oaks, Bobby Legg, Pauly Campbell, Willie Munsen, even Walter Tevis and Jim McDermott. Cue Ball was there as well. He had to be in his late 60’s or early 70’s. We had a good, long talk. He told me he had known all of the legends--Fats, Mosconi, Caras, Greenleaf, Schaeffer--everybody. He said he had survived two car rides with mobsters. This is where they put you in the backseat between two goons and take you for a ride. You don’t know if you’re ever coming back. He was himself a legend having been on national television more than once. I saw him on “You Asked For It” and I think he was on "What’s My Line" and maybe "To Tell the Truth". He was famous for his proficiency at finger billiards. Mike Massey practices this obscure art today. Carlo was a friendly, enthusiastic and interesting pool nut—the kind we all love. He reminds me of a lot of the people we have on this forum.