From
Sacramento CA
At Hard Times Billiards in Sacramento CA

1st $230 Billy Palmer
2nd $150 Mark 'Snake' Haddad
3rd $100 Joey Gebron
4th $ 70 Jim Fabionar
5th/6th $40 John Henderson and DJ.

21 Players @$20 plus $210 Added for $630 pot.

Seems like this should be called the "Plamer & Snake" invitational, the same two finished One-Two last month..

Ike Runnels and Ronnie Allen also played in this TOUGH field of One Pocket Players.

BUD GREEN

Verified Member
Palmer continues to dominate the north bay one pocket scene. He must take 1st to 3rd in 90% of the one pocket events he plays in around here. I'd heard he got into the longshoremans union and wasn't playing as much- still plays enough to school most everyone around here, I guess.

Questions for Tom:

1. What day/time is the ring game and did anyone other than Buddy H. enter yet? I heard Kim Davenport is playing again; hopefully he'll play at the Jamboree.

2. Is videotaping allowed at Hardtimes? Maybe next Jamboree I can set up an overhead camera and we can tape some matches. I'll work a second job so we can pay Freddie the Beard to come out and do commentary and teach some banks :)

3. People seem to be of the opinion that Tony C might beat Billy P at one pocket these days. You would probably know better than anybody- who would you like in a 5 ahead one pocket match for your dough?

Can't wait to see who shows up. I'm hoping Ronnie A. will sign my Eddie Robin one pocket books if I buy him some Bud talls.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
SactownTom said:

Ike Runnels and Ronnie Allen also played in this TOUGH field of One Pocket Players.
Thanks for the report, Tom. I see our man John Henderson got in the dough! :) I'm surprised neither Runnels nor Allen got into the top six!

BTW, what's the word about Kim Davenport's game? I see he's entered in a major tournament in Verona, NY in August. I hope he's been able to get back into top form.

Doc

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Saturday One pocket

Saturday One pocket

This tournament is a tough one, and considering most matches go hill/hill in a race to two format, it is even more amazing the way Billy & Mark dominate the field. I watched most of Ike Runnels games when I wasn't playing, and noticed he plays mostly center ball and low on the cue ball with an extended follow through, which is common on the good bank pool players. I think the unfamiliarity with the tables hurt him some, he should be in good shape for the big one later this month. Both the guys who finished 3rd & 4th ahead of me played well, but none of us have been able to knock off Billy or Mark for a long time. Tom runs a great tournament and while lots of the regulars were in Reno for the USPPA tournament, we had a good field and you can't beat it for a $20 entry fee.

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
BUD GREEN said:
Palmer continues to dominate the north bay one pocket scene. He must take 1st to 3rd in 90% of the one pocket events he plays in around here. I'd heard he got into the longshoremans union and wasn't playing as much- still plays enough to school most everyone around here, I guess.

It's true, Billy is on the docks when they call. But, he still finds time to keep his game at Championship level.

Questions for Tom:

1. What day/time is the ring game and did anyone other than Buddy H. enter yet? I heard Kim Davenport is playing again; hopefully he'll play at the Jamboree.

Ring game will be played just after the 9 Ball finals on Sunday June 19th. Kim played in Eureka CA last month. A $2000 added event over the weekend and he also cashed.

2. Is videotaping allowed at Hardtimes? Maybe next Jamboree I can set up an overhead camera and we can tape some matches. I'll work a second job so we can pay Freddie the Beard to come out and do commentary and teach some banks :)

The lighting in the tournament room is not the best for videos. Unless you have a really light sensitive camera. The room is setup for the players. If you want to videotape, I don't see why not, no rules against it. Still, NO Flash stuff.

3. People seem to be of the opinion that Tony C might beat Billy P at one pocket these days. You would probably know better than anybody- who would you like in a 5 ahead one pocket match for your dough?

As much as I like Tony's game, Billy is so consistant, this would be a tough one to call. Today, my pick would be Billy, but tomorrow....????

Can't wait to see who shows up. I'm hoping Ronnie A. will sign my Eddie Robin one pocket books if I buy him some Bud talls.

Ronnie Allen is going to be playing in the One Pocket event June 14-16, and I know he will be available for Beers and autographs.

Maybe next year.. a TV Table for the semis and finals????

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
Thanks for the kind words John, I appreciate them.
BTW, Ike had to change shafts before the tournament started, his tip on his regular playing cue was damaged.

I run all the tournaments at Hard Times and Once a month I get to run my favorite one... The One Pocket event..

One Pocket has always been one of my favorite games. Watching (I can't play a lick anymore) is very enjoyable. Seeing these players being so creative and competitive under so much pressure is exhausting.

All the players are at a higher level of being 'gentlemen' when they play One Pocket. All of them have great stories and tell them with great enthusiasm.

All I do is make sure the players are signed up, pay their entry fees, fill out the brackets and make the table assignments, and yes... I sometimes have to make a call for a 'close hit', I must be doing it right most of the time, because no ones argued with me yet.... :rolleyes:

jrhendy said:
This tournament is a tough one, and considering most matches go hill/hill in a race to two format, it is even more amazing the way Billy & Mark dominate the field. I watched most of Ike Runnels games when I wasn't playing, and noticed he plays mostly center ball and low on the cue ball with an extended follow through, which is common on the good bank pool players. I think the unfamiliarity with the tables hurt him some, he should be in good shape for the big one later this month. Both the guys who finished 3rd & 4th ahead of me played well, but none of us have been able to knock off Billy or Mark for a long time. Tom runs a great tournament and while lots of the regulars were in Reno for the USPPA tournament, we had a good field and you can't beat it for a $20 entry fee.

suki

Verified Member
From
Santa Cruz, Ca.
Fyi

Fyi

BUD GREEN said:

Questions for Tom:

He drinks MGD, and likes some whiiskey on the side.

suki

Verified Member
From
Santa Cruz, Ca.
Pretty good

Pretty good

SactownTom said:

1st $230 Billy Palmer
2nd $150 Mark 'Snake' Haddad
3rd $100 Joey Gebron
4th $ 70 Jim Fabionar
5th/6th $40 John Henderson and DJ.

21 Players @$20 plus $210 Added for $630 pot.

Seems like this should be called the "Plamer & Snake" invitational, the same two finished One-Two last month..

Yeh good since the usppa was going on. Don't these guys play usppa anymore or did they get knocked out already? By the way for some reason which is a mystery I never have ever received a flyer from Hard Times about your tournaments or do you not send any out and just depend on the advertising in the papers?

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
suki said:
Yeh good since the usppa was going on. Don't these guys play usppa anymore or did they get knocked out already? By the way for some reason which is a mystery I never have ever received a flyer from Hard Times about your tournaments or do you not send any out and just depend on the advertising in the papers?

Not many of the One Pocket players are USPPA members or if they are, they'd rather play One Pocket.

Flyers.. yes.. there should have been 150 or so flyers mailed out to all the pool halls in CA, NV, OR and Washington St.

Plus they were posted at the BCA event APA and VNEA events in Reno and Vegas.

"On the Break" and "On the Wire" also ran the ADs for the June event.

suki

Verified Member
From
Santa Cruz, Ca.
Must be other reasons

Must be other reasons

Hey Tom have to slightly disagree here. Palmer, Haddad, and Gebron your top 3 finishers have been long time members of the usppa. Palmer has 147 tournaments listed not counting previious dropped ones and Haddad has over 107. Those guys usually go where the money is so I am surprised they would rather play for possibly $230 bucks when there is a lot more available to these great players in Reno. Of course since you are only 2 hours away they may have done both.
By the way I must not be on your mailing list as I get no flyers. I have seen all your ads and was at the bca, the problem is my customers do not see all that all the time and I like to post flyers for the best tournament room around.
Thanks

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
suki said:
<snipped>
By the way I must not be on your mailing list as I get no flyers. I have seen all your ads and was at the bca, the problem is my customers do not see all that all the time and I like to post flyers for the best tournament room around.
Thanks

Please send me your snail mail address for future reference and I apologize if your room was left off the mailing list or the information was incorrect. I will make sure the address is correct.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
suki said:
Hey Tom have to slightly disagree here. Palmer, Haddad, and Gebron your top 3 finishers have been long time members of the usppa. Palmer has 147 tournaments listed not counting previious dropped ones and Haddad has over 107. Those guys usually go where the money is so I am surprised they would rather play for possibly $230 bucks when there is a lot more available to these great players in Reno. Of course since you are only 2 hours away they may have done both.
<snipped>

Suki,
You are correct, Joey, Mark and Billy are all USPPA current memebers.

Mark did play in the Thursday nite Mini (Tony Annigoni and I ran the event).
Mark will be playing in the Reno Pro event.

Joey doesn't like to travel much (he doesn't drive or own a car) but, he does make occasional trips to the Bay Area. No plans for Reno Pro event.

Billy's always does well in the First of the month 1Pkt and 9 Ball events. (1st and 2nd place finishes this last weekend $400). Plus the expense is much cheaper in Sacramento than Reno for him. He didn't indicate that he was going to play in the Pro Event in Reno. And his wife and boy were also in Sacramento for the weekend.

We only had 25 players for the Sunday 9 Ball event, (total pot $875)
Ernesto Dominguez took 1st $300
Billy Palmer 2nd $200
Mark Haddad 3rd $155
George Michaels 4th $100
and 5/6th $60 Bart Mahoney and Robert Aldana

suki

Verified Member
From
Santa Cruz, Ca.
Thanks Tom

Thanks Tom

My address is on web site fasteddysbilliards.com e mail address
postmaster@fasteddysbilliards.com , business address
fast eddys billiards
4300 capitola rd
capitola, ca. 95010

also say hi to chuck for me.
I am quite surprised and disappointed that with all the communication available to the tournament people in reno that we get no reports on the usppa tournament which is over today. Since az billiards and usppa work together quite often and advertise i would think a simple daily update would at least help. All the small tourmaments aroumd the country get reported on but this one. Even being amateur and pro to some extent it should get some publicity. I could not make it this year so it is strange not knowing what is going on although a phone call is simple I hate ringing the tournament room and what nbrs i have to call are not answering, guess they are sleeping. lol
If u know anyting have someone post on azb.
thanks

luv1pocket

Verified Member
One Pocket Tournament on June 14th

One Pocket Tournament on June 14th

Does anybody know what time does the one pocket tournament starts on the 14th and how late the matches will go at night?

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
luv1pocket said:
Does anybody know what time does the one pocket tournament starts on the 14th and how late the matches will go at night?

The players meeting will be at 11am Tuesday and play will begin at Noon.

With 16 tables being used in the first few rounds, I would expect that the last match would be scheduled for 9pm. (give or take 90 minutes)

Plus it all depends on the number of players.

I will be running Mini touranments (1Pkt and 9 ball) all week in the late evening. 8 players, added money and single elimination.

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
suki said:
I am quite surprised and disappointed that with all the communication available to the tournament people in reno that we get no reports on the usppa tournament which is over today. Since az billiards and usppa work together quite often and advertise i would think a simple daily update would at least help. All the small tourmaments aroumd the country get reported on but this one. Even being amateur and pro to some extent it should get some publicity. I could not make it this year so it is strange not knowing what is going on although a phone call is simple I hate ringing the tournament room and what nbrs i have to call are not answering, guess they are sleeping. lol
If u know anyting have someone post on azb.
thanks

I'm not all that surprized by the lack of internet coverage for the Reno event. The Sands is still in the 90s when it comes to the internet. Dial up connections in the rooms are'nt all that great for posting long messages.

Mike Howerton usually has an "800" number for his reporters to use for any match results/updates. Apparently Mike doesn't have anyone at the Reno event to call him.

Reno Brakets by AZBilliards is all that is available at this time.

I will be feeding info to AZ Billiards maybe twice a day or more for the Hard Times 1pkt and 9 ball events. Hopefully including some pictures.

suki

Verified Member
From
Santa Cruz, Ca.
Don't I know

Don't I know

SactownTom said:
I'm not all that surprized by the lack of internet coverage for the Reno event. The Sands is still in the 90s when it comes to the internet. Dial up connections in the rooms are'nt all that great for posting long messages.

Mike Howerton usually has an "800" number for his reporters to use for any match results/updates. Apparently Mike doesn't have anyone at the Reno event to call him.

Reno Brakets by AZBilliards is all that is available at this time.

I will be feeding info to AZ Billiards maybe twice a day or more for the Hard Times 1pkt and 9 ball events. Hopefully including some pictures.

And also Tony said Ken Ash cancelled on him.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Tournament format

Tournament format

Hey Tom,

How much time do your 1p events usually take? I believe you use races to 2, dbl elim., with one final race to 3? I'm thinking about promoting an event here in Gulfport, Miss., and I'm trying to figure out how much time to have set aside. Presumably we could draw enough players to limit it to 32, but I'm concerned that if we have races to 3, we might not finish in one day. I suppose races to 2 should be figured at 30-45 minutes per race, whereas races to 3 might go 60-90 minutes. We'd have eight tables, so there shouldn't be any problem. Any suggestions?

Art "Doc" Tripp

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
When I first started the 1P monthly it was a race to 3 on the winners side and a race to 2 on the one-loss side.

There was a time limit of 90 minutes, and after 60 minutes there was a 30 second shot clock. This worked for awhile, but I found myself having to ask other players to run the shot clock and there were more than a few games that had to have shot clocks.

We discussed this in a players meeting and agreed that 2 games would be better on both sides and that almost eliminated slow play and all agreed that there wouldn't be a need for time restraintes or a shot clock.

With an average of 20-25 players a month (high end of 32 players) we start around 1pm and finish between 8 and 9 pm, with the latest being about 11pm.

Then again, west coast IP is a little different than regular IP. Lots of aggressive play. Ronnie Allen style.

gulfportdoc said:
Hey Tom,

How much time do your 1p events usually take? I believe you use races to 2, dbl elim., with one final race to 3? I'm thinking about promoting an event here in Gulfport, Miss., and I'm trying to figure out how much time to have set aside. Presumably we could draw enough players to limit it to 32, but I'm concerned that if we have races to 3, we might not finish in one day. I suppose races to 2 should be figured at 30-45 minutes per race, whereas races to 3 might go 60-90 minutes. We'd have eight tables, so there shouldn't be any problem. Any suggestions?

Art "Doc" Tripp

suki

Verified Member
From
Santa Cruz, Ca.
Another consideration

Another consideration

SactownTom said:
When I first started the 1P monthly it was a race to 3 on the winners side and a race to 2 on the one-loss side.

There was a time limit of 90 minutes, and after 60 minutes there was a 30 second shot clock. This worked for awhile, but I found myself having to ask other players to run the shot clock and there were more than a few games that had to have shot clocks.

We discussed this in a players meeting and agreed that 2 games would be better on both sides and that almost eliminated slow play and all agreed that there wouldn't be a need for time restraintes or a shot clock.

With an average of 20-25 players a month (high end of 32 players) we start around 1pm and finish between 8 and 9 pm, with the latest being about 11pm.

Then again, west coast IP is a little different than regular IP. Lots of aggressive play. Ronnie Allen style.

But remember Doc there are a lot of great 1p players in his tournaments so they tend to go faster. Don't know if they are as good there and that is not meant to be offensive as they may be better. I know in banks they are.