How much is running balls really worth?

tylerdurden

Verified Member
Perhaps contrary to popular belief, I feel the ability to run balls in one pocket is near the level of importance it is in a game like 9 ball. I may be wrong, we'll see what others think. But, if I am correct, how can this be??

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Perhaps contrary to popular belief, I feel the ability to run balls in one pocket is near the level of importance it is in a game like 9 ball. I may be wrong, we'll see what others think. But, if I am correct, how can this be??

It can be worth the whole game ! Just don't miss the 1st shot.

Deeman

Verified Member

I guess the recent success of shotmakers like SVB and Earl does show it can be more important than many would have thought before. Perhaps over time this may not hold up but certainly in the short races it does. Really, was that not the real change that RA brought to one pocket back in the 70's? maybe not as dramatic but certainly making offense much more important than it may have been before. You can see much of this in the one pocket challenge at DCC where there is not a lot of reward for not trying to run out each time. That, in itself may have changed many players attitude toward how they approach the game. With many running 14 and 15's in that challenge, it was just not much of a leap to integrate the style into the tournament games. That, perhaps, combined with the superior equipment consistency (Diamonds) reduced their risk considerably.

DeeMan

Skin

Verified Member
If the opponent gives you a lot of opportunities, you don't need to run a bunch to win. However, if you're getting few opportunites, better run 'em good when you get the chance.

Skin

tylerdurden

Verified Member
I guess the recent success of shotmakers like SVB and Earl does show it can be more important than many would have thought before. Perhaps over time this may not hold up but certainly in the short races it does. Really, was that not the real change that RA brought to one pocket back in the 70's? maybe not as dramatic but certainly making offense much more important than it may have been before. You can see much of this in the one pocket challenge at DCC where there is not a lot of reward for not trying to run out each time. That, in itself may have changed many players attitude toward how they approach the game. With many running 14 and 15's in that challenge, it was just not much of a leap to integrate the style into the tournament games. That, perhaps, combined with the superior equipment consistency (Diamonds) reduced their risk considerably.

DeeMan

The SVB and Earl aspect is what i'm referring to. For me, I think i'm coming to the realization that one pocket is really just a "smart" version of nine ball (that doesn't do it justice, but you get the point). I'm glad you bring up RA, but it wasn't all that long ago that it seemed Allen Hopkins was dominating many of the tournaments, then Shannon came, and I swear things switched right in there somewhere -- to more offense. But, as you say, RA had brought more offense previously. Maybe it cycles back and forth??

Jimmy B

Verified Member
The SVB and Earl aspect is what i'm referring to. For me, I think i'm coming to the realization that one pocket is really just a "smart" version of nine ball (that doesn't do it justice, but you get the point). I'm glad you bring up RA, but it wasn't all that long ago that it seemed Allen Hopkins was dominating many of the tournaments, then Shannon came, and I swear things switched right in there somewhere -- to more offense. But, as you say, RA had brought more offense previously. Maybe it cycles back and forth??

Running the balls is mighty important. We all know that. That reminds me of a story. I was hanging out in a new pool room one time with Eddie Burton and there was a pool game on ESPN with Earl playing someone. I just asked Eddie if he had ever played Earl any one pocket. He said yes. One time. He told me that Earl didn't know the game at all when they played, but Eddie was trying to hold back a bit since Earls backer was on the way to the room and Eddie had thoughts about a big score. Didn't work out.. Earl kept running 8 and out and broke The Hat before the money man even got there. Earl has improved a lot since that time. Earl says he likes one pocket but he claims it hurts his rotation games which he deems more important...........

Deeman

Verified Member

Tyler,

You make a good point with the cycles idea. As well, a real ball runner can get away with much less game knowledge so, in a way, some may be " forced" into a runout strategy rather than wait for an Artie type to grind them down.

DeeMan

tonygreen

Well-Known-Member
I saw Joyner in 89 or 90 about 4 to 6 years before he hit his top gear, he ran soooo many balls it would allow him to mix it up with the top guys getting small spots from them.

Tyler,
In my opinion (this site is full of opinions ...lol) running balls is of

paramount importance in this game.

Shotmaking and ball running is oftentimes undervalued in onepocket because it's the only game where you never have to "actually" pocket a single ball and still win (put 8 balls within the jaws and make hime give them to you.

The otherside of the coin:

I believe that OnePocket can be handicapped very accurately by a skill level system based on a 1 to 100 ranking system (I'm still working on my scale) In other words, a 9-baller that can run a 4-pack (break n run 4 racks) or a straight pool player that can run 40 or more is always iin it so to speak.

Example ... take a European who's never played a game of one-pocket but runs racks at 10 ball, send him in against best one-pocket players and they cannot give him 8 to 5. Compare this to someone who knows the game but is never a threat to run 7 or 8.

To play onepocket like you are playing 9-ball sounds crazy, but when you have a big gun (the best defense is a strong offense) it really sometimes doesn't matter.

To go back to my scale, if Reyes and Frost are rated 99 on the scale and your local room ball banger who has never played anything but 8 ball would be a 1 on the scale. A straight shooter will land at level 55 or 75 easily, his shooting ability sort of falsely lands him higher on the scale. As stated earlier, equiptment of th last 20 years helps to elevate his scale rating also.
Ball running is huge.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
i think you have balance skill level with skill level
on a scale of 1-10
a 10 level 9ball player might beat an 8 level 1p player becauuse the 10 /9 baller will make the 8 1p player pay more for their mistakes due to their shot making skill
but a 10 vs 10 9 ball vs 1p has no chance imho
scott frost in prime shooting and physical shape vs shane
my money is on scott
do you agree???

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Larry, if you are willing to bet against SVB, the world will beat a path to your door. With money in their hands. Brace yourself. :heh

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Larry, if you are willing to bet against SVB, the world will beat a path to your door. With money in their hands. Brace yourself. :heh

SVB can't beat Scott playing one-pocket unless Scott really needs the money.

Either way, you cannot bet on that match.

Dennis

tylerdurden

Verified Member
Some great points made.

The more I think about this though, the more one thing stands out to me..... if you take any player, the one thing that will REALLY hurt them in one pocket is missing that one important ball and leaving a shot. In essence, if you have that little extra ability it really amounts to a huge and perhaps incommensurate advantage. Maybe this is why players instinctively practice on their offense 99% of the time.

tonygreen

Well-Known-Member
You have to take Frost over VanBoeing (SVB) everyday. When Sigel was running 300's playing straight pool. He (Sigel) didn't have to make the right shot selection , he'd just runout.