No seniors for Bill.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I received some bad news from my doctor concerning my MRI that I had a few weeks back. My disc above the fused disc that was performed in 2010 has herniated badly and also I have narrowing of the canal beneath L4-L5 that needs addressed as well. My doctor said he feels that the surgery could be done minimally invasive and referred me to a doctor at the Texas Back Institute, where I had my last surgery and the hospital my doctor uses as well. Dr Kutz. I looked at his i
Bio and didnt notice any minimally invasive experience
, so I started to do research on physicians that excelled in M.I.S. I was referred to a doctor at the Spine And Joint Hospital in Tyler Tx, I read his Bio and feel very comfortable with him as my doctor. Dr. Gordon

If anyone can help me with my decision as being correct or add any other advice for me it would be appreciated, after all im not going to be playing in Houston so appreciation would be wdlcomed. Lol.

Thanks.

DR. Bill

baby huey

Verified Member
Dr. Bill, sorry to hear about the back situation. I know you have had problems for years and getting older doesn't help. All I can say is to get second and third opinions and if necessary go out of state. Being a retired RN, I have always felt the more opinions you get the more information you have to reach a decision. I had prostate surgery years ago and I had several doctors I consulted with that promised me success. But, I didn't choose any of them until I met one whom I bonded with and felt comfortable cutting on me. Take your time in your decision making and find the right doctor you feel good about.

I wanted a rematch in Houston but I guess I'll have to wait.

good luck,
jerry

Hardmix

Verified Member
From
Cumming Ga
Jerry has given you sound advise. 3 opinions would be my minimum, especially when dealing with the back.

Good luck Bill and I hope all goes well for you.

Ben

rich htx

Verified Member
From
Houston TX
Agree on multiple opinions

Agree on multiple opinions

My late grandfather had already lost half a leg before, then some doc says we gotta take the other one

He wasn't having any of that, so another opinion led to a vien transplant of some sort, and never needed to lose his other leg

Definitely get more than one opinion
Best wishes

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
bill
i cannot give any advice regarding a surgeon but i hope the surgery is a success and you become pain free :)
larry

Last edited:

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Bill, You might like to search the internet for "best doctors" M I back S in your area or if you like, State wide, or even throughout the Country if you like. This list is formed by the very doctors in that field of work. This way you will know that among any field of medicine their peers have determined who they think is the best.

Here is one site yo might like to check out

https://www.ratemds.com/best-doctors/

Best of luck with finding the right Doc. who will get the job done right. Sorry you won't be there. Not sure if I will either but I'm hoping things work out so I can. I know it will be a fun time for all.

Tom

Last edited:

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
I received some bad news from my doctor concerning my MRI that I had a few weeks back. My disc above the fused disc that was performed in 2010 has herniated badly and also I have narrowing of the canal beneath L4-L5 that needs addressed as well. My doctor said he feels that the surgery could be done minimally invasive and referred me to a doctor at the Texas Back Institute, where I had my last surgery and the hospital my doctor uses as well. Dr Kutz. I looked at his i
Bio and didnt notice any minimally invasive experience
, so I started to do research on physicians that excelled in M.I.S. I was referred to a doctor at the Spine And Joint Hospital in Tyler Tx, I read his Bio and feel very comfortable with him as my doctor. Dr. Gordon

If anyone can help me with my decision as being correct or add any other advice for me it would be appreciated, after all im not going to be playing in Houston so appreciation would be wdlcomed. Lol.

Thanks.

DR. Bill

good luck with everything billy. hope you get what you need and find yourself on the mend and as good as new. like rodney says....gettn' old aint' for sissies.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Bill, doctors are notably reluctant to pass judgment on other doctors. Many will flatly refuse to do it. If you have a guy you trust to steer you right, tell him your dilemma. Ask him who he would pick to operate on him. Maybe you will get nothing, but if you get something, appreciate it. No point in pushing him, tho, and don't rat him out.

It's important to like your doctor. More important to believe in him. Best of luck.

Bill

Tylerbob

Verified Member
From
Chandler Texas
Bill, I don't have direct experience with Dr Gordon, except that he has an excellent reputation here and was one of the founders of the Spine and Joint hospital here. If you do end up in Tyler, I would be glad to assist in any way I can, as Gofer or whatever.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Bill, I don't have direct experience with Dr Gordon, except that he has an excellent reputation here and was one of the founders of the Spine and Joint hospital here. If you do end up in Tyler, I would be glad to assist in any way I can, as Gofer or whatever.

Very nice, Bob.

That would be a big bonus for him. It's nice to have someone nearby "on the outside." :)

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.

Thanks to all that expressed an interest in my problem, I will use all the information that I have been given and diligently work hard for the best doctor to do the surgery.

Bob, you have heard of Dr. Gordon, his Bio is very impressive, and the Spine And Joint Hospital also has high marks in their respective field. I will keep you informed if Dr. Gordon is chosen to do the surgery. I'm hoping that I'm a candidate for minimally invasive surgery, I went through an open laminectomy, and it was brutal. I read that if I have a certain amount of scar tissue that I may not be a candidate for MIS, I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed.

Bob, do you know anything about Dr. Johnathon Blau? Dr. Blau supposedly is a big fan of pool, that's helpful.

Thanks again to all you guys, it's comforting to have support.

Dr. Bill

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
No seniors for Bill.

Best of luck with this upcoming procedure Billy. While it seems the surgery must be done, your proactive and discerning approach to your surgeon is impressive nonetheless. Most people don't realize they have a choice and just go with the first person they speak with. Knowing you just a bit from here, I am certain that you will come up with the best "Doc selection". After all... It's what you do. 👍👍. We're pulling for ya.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Going through your throat for the c-4 section of your back is considered to be the less invasive of the procedures. The ruptured disc they can dissolve but I'm not sure what they do after that is done. WHATEVER you do, DO NOT let them take bone from somewhere else in your body, get donor bone or pig. A neurosurgeon is what you need for both procedures and the best way to find the best one for you is to interview the individual doctors. The success of your procedures is generally pretty good. I had surgery on c-4-5-6 cleaning up spurs, replacing 5 and realignment. The surgery itself went well but my nerves became irritated by putting off surgery so long and affected me adversely for many years. Back spasms. Surgery last several hours, 6 for me, recovery is quick if you walk a lot. The main thing is too get your pain levels under control and that is the tough part. You can be playing pool next year with no adverse reactions.
Get your life back. Good luck.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Going through your throat for the c-4 section of your back is considered to be the less invasive of the procedures. The ruptured disc they can dissolve but I'm not sure what they do after that is done. WHATEVER you do, DO NOT let them take bone from somewhere else in your body, get donor bone or pig. A neurosurgeon is what you need for both procedures and the best way to find the best one for you is to interview the individual doctors. The success of your procedures is generally pretty good. I had surgery on c-4-5-6 cleaning up spurs, replacing 5 and realignment. The surgery itself went well but my nerves became irritated by putting off surgery so long and affected me adversely for many years. Back spasms. Surgery last several hours, 6 for me, recovery is quick if you walk a lot. The main thing is too get your pain levels under control and that is the tough part. You can be playing pool next year with no adverse reactions.
Get your life back. Good luck.

Thanks Bill, through my mouth seems like the best route except if I need a fuse which I was told I needed. Have you or anyone heard anything good about the Coflex device?

DR. Bill

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
This ain't rocket surgery, and I ain't the sharpest bulb in the drawer, but

Coflex.

The stuff we can read about it online makes it look pretty good. It was the subject of an FDA clinical study FWIW, and the study apparently showed it to be a little better in most respects than fusion and much better in amount of time in surgery, blood loss and post-surg hospital time. Those three would be a pretty big deal to me, but the overall success rate after two years was only a little better, around 10%.

Scary stuff I found (from the study): "For patients receiving coflex®, the biggest risk is continued pain. Other risks include wound healing problems (such as infection or drainage), brief numbness or tingling in your arms or legs, and spinous process fractures.

"The coflex® surgery may not help relieve pain in some patients, and you may need another surgery to remove the device. It is hard to predict who will not benefit from this surgery."

But:

"In the clinical trial, similar problems were experienced with patients who had fusion."

Looks like a good way to go, but I'd sure want to talk to a neurosurgeon who doesn't use it before I pulled the trigger. It looks like good or bad rolls could play a part nobody can do anything about.

Good luck. If you wind up in Tyler I may come help Bob gopher... it's only 150 miles and I've been wanting to visit June anyway. :D

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
I think with your ability to work and understand others in a business situation will only help in your choice of what's before you. I'm sure some of your past decisions have gone well. I felt the same way about crown installs next to my brain about 10 years ago, so I did three dentist interviews, nothing wrong with 4 if need be. What I'm finding out to be helpful is my Elks Club membership and all the pool players (10) league that play there allot, to get better and get away from the wife. But this group of guys (70's+) have allot of good information. What's interesting about those Elk members, the ones you like, trust and would hang with have "great"/the best advice about who's good at ck'n out your whooo/hooo. Thought I needed a root canal, got recommended a good doc by Norm, Swish! Norm worked 40 years in the education system as a HS college counselor.

Fixing the foundation is important, Gehter' done right. Your apprehension is Normal, your time is Now. I might start playing Pickle Ball :).

phil dade

Verified Member
From
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL 32082
Wishing you the best of luck and speedy recovery. I would be looking for the best facility as well as the best Dr. Realize it is a team job. This comment is from experience.

Good luck.