Bustamante vs. Richeson

ChicagoFats

Verified Member
This is just a ref question.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DNvNpwWTAc

At about the 27th minute, Busty and Richie get in a spot where they are wedged between balls and they take fouls back and forth.

My question is not about the game itself.

The ref is watching the game and Busty is about to shoot with the bridge.
It seems to me the ref explains the rules at the time of the shot, so much so, he indicates how high the cue needs to be elevated at 45 degrees.
My question is... is this correct for a ref to explain the rules?
I personally don't mind it.
However, I was in a national tournament and a ref was called. He was directed to only "watch" the hit and indicate foul or not. He could explain after the foul as to which rule was called.

What say you guys?

chicagomike

Verified Member
This is just a ref question.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DNvNpwWTAc

At about the 27th minute, Busty and Richie get in a spot where they are wedged between balls and they take fouls back and forth.

My question is not about the game itself.

The ref is watching the game and Busty is about to shoot with the bridge.
It seems to me the ref explains the rules at the time of the shot, so much so, he indicates how high the cue needs to be elevated at 45 degrees.
My question is... is this correct for a ref to explain the rules?
I personally don't mind it.
However, I was in a national tournament and a ref was called. He was directed to only "watch" the hit and indicate foul or not. He could explain after the foul as to which rule was called.

What say you guys?

It probably should be covered at the players meeting and then would not have to be revisited. The other thing is without a protractor who’s to say if it’s 44 or 45 degrees?

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
The ref says it's not frozen so it must be hit at a minimum 45 degree downward angle. I suppose this is to avoid a double hit or push, but I don't think it necessarily does that.

I'm not commenting on whether or not the ref should be advising the player how to hit the ball - just questioning whether or not following his advice actually (physically) avoids a double hit or push.

pj
chgo

Cary

Verified Member
From
Bertram, Texas
Did one of the players ask?

ETA: Never mind. Watched the video and it appeared to me that Busty DID ask for a clarification. This is a rule that is subject to interpretation (imo) and I don't blame him for getting the referee to explain his understanding of the rule. I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Last edited: