Playing a big spot strategy

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
Have another match today against the young beast. He seems to get better every time he comes back home... I'm most likely getting 13-6 this time. I came close last time but fell three games short in about 7 hrs. My strategy in that session was to play like i would anybody except i would shoot at a few more sellouts as i figured the reward odds might be better as he had to make a ton more balls to win if i missed. So... would YOU win playing with a big spot. Would you be inclined to shoot more? Would you take more intentional fouls than normal. Or do you play super tight? Do you play super loose? Do you start moving balls up table right out of the gate?

poolisboring

Verified Member
From
toledo
i might play any one of these styles you mention..... depends on a number of factors, how im shooting that day, layout of the balls,just to name a few......

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I guess the biggest spot I have gotten (besides when JB gave me 9/4 when I first started learning the game 25 years ago but he does not seem to recall ;)) was 10/5 maybe like a year ago or less from one of our local beasts..

after 8 games we broke even playing cheap and I tried to just play the best 1p I could. I didn't think about playing any tighter or looser. I played the same way I would as if I was playing someone even.

I could be wrong John, but I don't think I would play any looser and let him have opportunities to run balls when you miss flyers. It's not liek you are going to 3 or even 4, you still need 6 balls! Besides letting him win games, it will break you down mentally too. Play smart, stay sharp, wait for opportunities, they will show up...

just my 2 cents buddy, good luck either way!

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
I gave some 13-4 one time until he figured out all he had to do was bust up the stack to win. It was for fun more than anything.

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
I guess the biggest spot I have gotten (besides when JB gave me 9/4 when I first started learning the game 25 years ago but he does not seem to recall ;)) was 10/5 maybe like a year ago or less from one of our local beasts..

after 8 games we broke even playing cheap and I tried to just play the best 1p I could. I didn't think about playing any tighter or looser. I played the same way I would as if I was playing someone even.

I could be wrong John, but I don't think I would play any looser and let him have opportunities to run balls when you miss flyers. It's not liek you are going to 3 or even 4, you still need 6 balls! Besides letting him win games, it will break you down mentally too. Play smart, stay sharp, wait for opportunities, they will show up...

just my 2 cents buddy, good luck either way!

We've changed the spot a lot over the years with me giving him 9-7 when he was 17 to this...lol Last match was the first time he's ever let me go to 6 and the first time he went to 13. It started out 13-7 and he got 4 games ahead and let me go down one. Looking back i think i was three games down when we finished so i guess i was a one game winner over the last three hours or so with the 13-6. Of course i think he was in the bottle a bit by then too....lol Before he would never come off letting me go under seven so this is uncharted territory. Today its going to be much tougher because we will be playing one one of his regular game tables instead of mine. So i'm going to need a good strategy going in.

beatle

Verified Member
you would basically play the same way as someone you play even with. as the spot affects this. it should reflect the same ratios of each of you running out and making the shots and safes.

where it starts to change is when your opponent has made up the spot and you are playing now closer to even in a rack. then you have to shoot more and take chances you wouldnt earlier as he will beat you to the shots otherwise.

in other words say there was one ball left on the table. with both needing one. say he was a two to one favorite to beat you from there. if you had a shot you were a dog to make and a complete sellout and loss of game if you miss, you must shoot it if you are less than a two to one dog to make it.

where as it would be a foolish shot if playing someone even.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
I haven't played getting a spot in a while. I often give 12/6, 13/6, 12/7 so forth.
Although I'm a gofer playing about even, I completely change my strategy when carring large spots, I play ultra safe and go for nothing, pass many banks, move the balls uptable and wait, they'll usually go for something untoward and give a shot to give me a big jump, then its hard for them to play even.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Playing a big spot strategy

I haven't played getting a spot in a while. I often give 12/6, 13/6, 12/7 so forth.

Although I'm a gofer playing about even, I completely change my strategy when carring large spots, I play ultra safe and go for nothing, pass many banks, move the balls uptable and wait, they'll usually go for something untoward and give a shot to give me a big jump, then its hard for them to play even.

While I dont give this kind or weight, this is great advice when giving. Thanks as usual Rodney. Worth the price of admission. 👍

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
Yep. Thanks Rod. That helps. Ill see if he does that and try to be aware of what he's doing. Should start here in a bit if he makes it. He's got him a girl now so maybe she will distract him...lol

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
you would basically play the same way as someone you play even with. as the spot affects this. it should reflect the same ratios of each of you running out and making the shots and safes.

where it starts to change is when your opponent has made up the spot and you are playing now closer to even in a rack. then you have to shoot more and take chances you wouldnt earlier as he will beat you to the shots otherwise.

in other words say there was one ball left on the table. with both needing one. say he was a two to one favorite to beat you from there. if you had a shot you were a dog to make and a complete sellout and loss of game if you miss, you must shoot it if you are less than a two to one dog to make it.

where as it would be a foolish shot if playing someone even.
Thanks. I'll keep that in mind too.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
I don't think you want to take intentionals unless there really is nothing else
You couldn't win going to 7
That's why you are going to 6
Even if he takes one back
13-6 is better than 14-7
Jmho
Icbw

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
Well we had fun playing cheap and played about 5 hrs. I was ahead from the jump on Sky until he put a 4 spot on me after we took a break and after some back and fourth he got me for 2 games. Head is living back here now and wanted to jump in the last hour so i played them scotch against me and lost 2 more games after me winning the last two. I've never played that way and it took me a few games to get with it. Head played great just coming off his second place finish at the Texas open. I never play good on the diamond we played on but i played the best i've ever played on it so i felt good about that. Props to my buddy and fellow member here John L. for inviting me over to play on his new Diamond last week. I think that long session on his new table helped my Diamond table game today. Get it John.. Long session...lol Over all had a great day kidding around with the boys and catching up. I think its easy to think that a spot like 13-6 should be easy to overcome until you play these guys. They both play pretty darn good and are a lot of fun. I think the key for me was firing at my hole more than usual and if i got a few balls i would try and blast the whole stack up table....lol worked pretty good.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Well we had fun playing cheap and played about 5 hrs. I was ahead from the jump on Sky until he put a 4 spot on me after we took a break and after some back and fourth he got me for 2 games. Head is living back here now and wanted to jump in the last hour so i played them scotch against me and lost 2 more games after me winning the last two. I've never played that way and it took me a few games to get with it. Head played great just coming off his second place finish at the Texas open. I never play good on the diamond we played on but i played the best i've ever played on it so i felt good about that. Props to my buddy and fellow member here John L. for inviting me over to play on his new Diamond last week. I think that long session on his new table helped my Diamond table game today. Get it John.. Long session...lol Over all had a great day kidding around with the boys and catching up. I think its easy to think that a spot like 13-6 should be easy to overcome until you play these guys. They both play pretty darn good and are a lot of fun. I think the key for me was firing at my hole more than usual and if i got a few balls i would try and blast the whole stack up table....lol worked pretty good.

I have played Scott Frost twice getting 10/5 a few years back when I thought I was a pretty good player. Went off both times and playing players at their level will get you off your game. Kudos for stepping up and having a good time. I enjoyed myself too, but it cost me a little too much to try Again.

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
I have played Scott Frost twice getting 10/5 a few years back when I thought I was a pretty good player. Went off both times and playing players at their level will get you off your game. Kudos for stepping up and having a good time. I enjoyed myself too, but it cost me a little too much to try Again.

Of course i do have a little more pride than sense and after they shit a couple balls in one game playing scotch doubles against me i offered to double the bet if they played across the river on the GC next time... :lol Probably not the smartest move:eek: and we had a good laugh about it.