Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2018, 09:30 AM
Verified Member

Default Luck of the draw?

Seeing Ghost's thread about how he got an unlucky draw with Mr. Hopkins made me reflect on my own.

I have only been re-attending the derby the last 2 years (this makes year 3) and I must say I have gotten some pretty sporty draws:

2016: Tony Chohan
2017: Alex Pagulayan

Not bad for first round draws huh?

Hoping to have someone a little tougher for my round 1 in 2018!

I am pretty sure the draw is a big part of how far you can go, so with that said have you all gotten real good draws in the past or easy ones like me?

I really don't mind though because being able to play against one of those champs is worth the price of admission for me.
Old 01-19-2018, 09:35 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincy_kid View Post
Seeing Ghost's thread about how he got an unlucky draw with Mr. Hopkins made me reflect on my own.

I have only been re-attending the derby the last 2 years (this makes year 3) and I must say I have gotten some pretty sporty draws:

2016: Tony Chohan
2017: Alex Pagulayan

Not bad for first round draws huh?

Hoping to have someone a little tougher for my round 1 in 2018!

I am pretty sure the draw is a big part of how far you can go, so with that said have you all gotten real good draws in the past or easy ones like me?

I really don't mind though because being able to play against one of those champs is worth the price of admission for me.
To win it, you have to beat those players anyway. Might as well dispatch them early and move on to the easier draws. Good luck this week.
Old 01-20-2018, 04:08 AM
Verified Member

I once played a nine ball tournament, a kinda small warmup to I think by cycle club at hard. Times. I’m not kidding or exaggerating... I had to say that because you could not get this draw if you played the damn tournament of champions... I played tony Ellen first. Second match was Rafael Martinez. And this was when they were both full tilt unstoppable, as in both had recently won major events. I was so mad I never found out who the hell knocked Rafael to the losers side so early.... at least we know it wasn’t tony Ellen. I’m not even kidding I’m seriously calling it the worst draw in pool history.

Last edited by El Chapo; 01-20-2018 at 04:38 AM.
Old 01-20-2018, 04:32 AM
Verified Member

That actually reminded me of a tony Ellen story. This match was my only real interaction with the guy, but I will tell you right now not many pool players I ever met impressed me more.

This ****ing guy had me down about 7 to 1 going to 9. The guy put more packages at the time than you can imagine. If he came to the table you literally were expecting a 3 pack on average. I am not even kidding.

So he had me way down, he needed like two games, he knew he was playing a much inferior opponent. I break the balls and the 9 comes flying out, it gets knocked around and starts rolling right toward the corner on the other side of the table. What does tony do from the chair. This ****ing guy is rooting the nine out of the hole like it’s his case game for his last penny! He’s sweating that ****ing ball out of the hole I kid you not: he needs two I need like 9 and I’m a totally helpless dupe and he knows it.

I don’t know if that story only impresses me as much as it does, or it would others? But I seriously cannot think of a quality I admire more in pool than a guy who already has his ****ing foot on a guys throat, total domination, and still wants to win every ****ing game as if it’s his last. Honestly I could not have admired his attitude more and that little rooting of the nine out of the pocket will stick with me forever in the most delightful of ways. Hope the man rests in peace we lost a good one there.
Old 01-20-2018, 04:58 AM
Verified Member

Default Luck of the draw?

Great stories. Thanks guys.

Iím pretty sure our own Col Bille has the Derby record for tough draws. Hereís hoping this year gives him a break.
Old 01-20-2018, 10:36 AM
Verified Member

EC, at the Sands Reno events I once had to play back to back Morro Paez then Tony Ellin. I don't think I got more than 3 games in our (their) races to 9.

What was remarkable about Ellin was that he played each game as if his life depended upon it. In actual fact he said that he played pool strictly to put food on the table for his family, so he was ferocious in his pursuit. He was as serious as a heart attack..

~Doc
Old 01-20-2018, 12:28 PM
Verified Member

How about this one. In Reno I draw SVB in the first match of the ten ball and he beats me. Goes on to win the tournament in the ten ball.
Next is the eight ball and I draw him again in the first round. However eight ball was more my style of game and I proceed to win the match. Appleton came over to me and offered to buy me dinner because he and SVB were always fighting for the extra money given to the top all around player. Three divisions, ten, eight, and nine ball.
Old 01-20-2018, 01:21 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chapo View Post
he knew he was playing a much inferior opponent....... But I seriously cannot think of a quality I admire more in pool than a guy who already has his ****ing foot on a guys throat, total domination, and still wants to win every ****ing game as if it’s his last. .
i don't find that an admirable quality at all.... also, if you enter major tournaments with an "inferior" attitude, you will surely lose. if they beat me, i'm at least going to make them work for it then go home and work on the things i did wrong so it won't happen again.
Old 01-20-2018, 02:00 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Almanza View Post
How about this one. In Reno I draw SVB in the first match of the ten ball and he beats me. Goes on to win the tournament in the ten ball.
Next is the eight ball and I draw him again in the first round. However eight ball was more my style of game and I proceed to win the match. Appleton came over to me and offered to buy me dinner because he and SVB were always fighting for the extra money given to the top all around player. Three divisions, ten, eight, and nine ball.
Great story Frank!
Old 01-20-2018, 02:06 PM
Verified Member

I was at Sacramento Hard Times for their Jubilee. I was visiting family so couldnt enter the tournament. But their was a mini tournament late at nite for $25 entry fee. I get Rodney Morris!!! Im like dumbfounded. Rodney never played one hole and I guess was getting some practice in before the big one.
He says "take it easy on me. I dont play the game". I beat him to the shot in every game. But if he ever got a shot it was 8 and out. He ran 24 balls on me inside of 15 minutes like it was fish gliding through water.