Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2013, 11:26 PM

Post Object Ball Foul

A situation came up in a game today and I would like to know how it would be interpreted. Here is the situation: A ball is in the opponent's pocket. It is pocketed by an object ball and the object ball jumps off the table. Does the opponents ball stay down or come up?

Here is a similar situation that is more clear: A ball is in the opponent's pocket. It is pocketed by the cue ball and the cue ball jumps off the table. Does the opponents ball stay down or come up?

According to rule 6-2 it is very clearly stated that the opponent's ball comes out and the shooter must spot it and a penalty ball. We all play this rule 'without question' from either player.

It is not so clear when it is an object ball that does the pocketing and the jumping off the table.

What are your interpretations of 'any other foul is committed?'

Thank you.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:22 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn90403 View Post
A situation came up in a game today and I would like to know how it would be interpreted. Here is the situation: A ball is in the opponent's pocket. It is pocketed by an object ball and the object ball jumps off the table. Does the opponents ball stay down or come up?

Here is a similar situation that is more clear: A ball is in the opponent's pocket. It is pocketed by the cue ball and the cue ball jumps off the table. Does the opponents ball stay down or come up?

According to rule 6-2 it is very clearly stated that the opponent's ball comes out and the shooter must spot it and a penalty ball. We all play this rule 'without question' from either player.

It is not so clear when it is an object ball that does the pocketing and the jumping off the table.

What are your interpretations of 'any other foul is committed?'

Thank you.

In our area.. a ball off the table is a foul. I'm sure it is played differently in other places though depending on the house rules.

Dudley
Old 06-24-2013, 12:43 AM
Verified Member

I believe that if an object ball jumps the table after pocketing a ball in your opponents pocket the ball counts for your opponent, and the shooter is penalized one ball. However, if the cue ball jumps the table after pocketing a ball in your opponents pocket the ball is re-spotted along with one of the shooters balls.

Dr. Bill
Old 06-24-2013, 08:02 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincardona View Post
I believe that if an object ball jumps the table after pocketing a ball in your opponents pocket the ball counts for your opponent, and the shooter is penalized one ball. However, if the cue ball jumps the table after pocketing a ball in your opponents pocket the ball is re-spotted along with one of the shooters balls.

Dr. Bill
That is the way it is in the official onepocket.org rules. In some areas of the country they have traditionally played that an object ball off the table is not a foul. But either way, the pocketed ball would stay down and count for the opponent, because an object ball jumping the table is not one of the two kinds of foul that bring up an opponent's pocketed ball -- that's only a pocket scratch or the cue ball jumping the table.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:33 AM
Verified Member

I have often wondered what would be wrong with letting the incoming, non-fouling player choose if he wants the ball down or spotted in many of these instances. It also comes up where a guy makes a huge blunder, owes a ball, and pulls the ball out to pay it up and it blocks every shot the non-fouler has. Why can't you just "decline" in one pocket. I know it is just the way we play, but why? Is there some inherent flaw in my thinking besides "we just don't play like that (pound chest)?

To belabor the point, take op's scenario. I just don't see any reason why his opponent's blunder should not hurt him to the max. What if his opponent left him out if the ball is spotted, but if not he is in a tough spot. I think being his call would be a good rule - blast away
Old 06-24-2013, 09:41 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerdurden View Post
I have often wondered what would be wrong with letting the incoming, non-fouling player choose if he wants the ball down or spotted in many of these instances. It also comes up where a guy makes a huge blunder, owes a ball, and pulls the ball out to pay it up and it blocks every shot the non-fouler has. Why can't you just "decline" in one pocket. I know it is just the way we play, but why? Is there some inherent flaw in my thinking besides "we just don't play like that (pound chest)?

To belabor the point, take op's scenario. I just don't see any reason why his opponent's blunder should not hurt him to the max. What if his opponent left him out if the ball is spotted, but if not he is in a tough spot. I think being his call would be a good rule - blast away
TD,

Poolplayers have two very strong aversions. One is towards working. The other is towards thinking.

There are other rules they follow because "that's the way we do it so STFU". They ain't geniuses.

RBL
Old 06-24-2013, 09:43 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn90403 View Post

Thank you.
This situation was never a foul in Detroit. The ball stayed down and the jumped ball spotted up. I don't know how they play it now but I would never play "object ball off the table is a foul".

Dennis
Old 06-24-2013, 11:37 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Dennis View Post
This situation was never a foul in Detroit. The ball stayed down and the jumped ball spotted up. I don't know how they play it now but I would never play "object ball off the table is a foul".

Dennis
me neither
Old 06-24-2013, 12:22 PM
Verified Member

The reason object ball off the table is not a foul is because most money robbing pool players don't know how to read a rule book
Old 06-24-2013, 12:52 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtompilot View Post
The reason object ball off the table is not a foul is because most money robbing pool players don't know how to read a rule book
That's because they don't play in leagues or tournaments, where all the hackers carry rule books with them.
Many play it's a foul now, as I'm always gambling I play fouls on the CB only.
Rod.
P.S. I know I'm old, but many of the newer rules seem stupid and a recipe for trouble. I.E That ball was gonna come across here and it woulda hit that ob that was touched (maybe).

Tags
foul, jumped ball, one pocket rules