George Fels -- heart attack

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
Hello all. This is Sam Fels, George's youngest son. A friend sent me the link to this thread, and I wanted to take time to thank all of you for your kind and appreciative words. You really have no idea how much it helps to see the way Dad connected with all of you and the way he made a difference in people's lives, no matter how small or large. Knowing Dad if he is reading this he'd pretend to be embarrassed but unable to hide his pride.

Though all of you love Dad as a writer, let me assure you he was twice the father. Though my brother Adam and I are obviously having a tough time at the moment, we find ourselves laughing more than we are crying. Because that's all we ever did with Dad. While you always want more time, neither my brother or I would ever ask for more from the time we did get. And that fills us with happiness more than sadness. And reading this thread only fills me with more. Again, thank you.

If people would like I'll be happy to post whatever arrangements we make here, which should be in the next day or so.

Deepest condolences to you and your family sir.

Mary Kenniston

Verified Member
More sadness descends upon our world with the passing of another friend. He was old school before the term became fashionable. He was the so very eloquent voice & soul of the game we all love so deeply. Some people's contributions to the game are irreplaceable - so it is with the passing of George Fels.

I've read all the other comments here & on other sites - smiling, laughing out loud & crying. This is a really tough loss in a very tough year of losses of so many in our world. Seems like George's passing has affected so many of us - on so many levels - from those who knew him only through his columns & from those who knew him as a friend & fellow competitor. Like so many others, I always turned to his column in Billiards Digest first. I always thought it was fitting that his column was on the last page of every issue. George always got the last word.

I'm sure I'm not alone in sending my thoughts & condolences to Mike Panozzo & the entire staff of Billiards Digest in addition to his family & many friends & fans all over the world - all who loved him & will miss him terribly.

RIP, George...

Photo courtesy of Mike Haines & Bill Porter - '08 Derby City Classic - Louisville, KY

Attachments

• George Fels - '08 HOF Dinner - DCC - Louisville, KY - PC of H & P.jpg
    George Fels - '08 HOF Dinner - DCC - Louisville, KY - PC of H & P.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 0

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
My condolences to the Fels family. I didn't know George personally but loved his writing for decades. I am one of those that Steve mentioned who turned to Georges column first when I would open a new Billiards Digest.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
I'll share a little story of one of my long-time memories re. George and I...

When I started playing pool seriously, at 18-23 yrs. old, George and I played/hung out at the same pool room (and then at other various poolrooms over the next 40 yrs.). George's favorite game by far, as most people know, was straight pool. I was liking/playing 9 ball and banks back then, and just a little straight pool..and George was of course, always telling me I should play more straight pool...anyways, all of that said...

In the mid-60's, when I was about 18-19, (and George was in his mid-late 20's) I played in my very first tournament of any consequence, and George and I drove there together - it was a, STRAIGHT POOL TOURNAMENT - a midwest qualifier for winning an entry to play in the annual U.S. Open Straight Pool/14.1 Championship...not having played much straight pool, I had 0 chance to do anything in the tournament, but George convinced me to play in it anyway, for the experience...

Anyway, the amusing part of the story that I've often thought of over the years, is that..as we're driving to the tournament I tell George that I'm nervous about playing - "I'll probably draw Dallas West and lose 125 -0"..:(..so George goes into his bag and hands me a little blue pill and says, "take this, it will get rid of your 1st tournament nervousness, and you'll feel cool as a cucumber"............it was a valium...

End of story...I didn't do any good in the tournament, but thanks to Dr. George I wasn't nervous..:)..I was as mellow as a bird on the wing, and I had a great time.

Rest in Peace George.....I'll be seeing you down the road..and when we do, I'll play you some straight pool, but we've gotta play some One Pocket too...:)

- Ghost

Very nice remembrance of your good friend Ghosty...I am very envious that I did not get to know him as well as you !

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Well, I think the only next step is to now campaign to induct George into the BCA Hall of Fame. No one more deserving. I cant believe this topic never came up before. ??? We were all too busy selfishly enjoying George ourselves to consider that he had never been officially acknowledged.

I am sure Mike Panozzo knows where to take this. You handle it from here, Mike.

Beard

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Well, I think the only next step is to now campaign to induct George into the BCA Hall of Fame. No one more deserving. I cant believe this topic never came up before. ??? We were all too busy selfishly enjoying George ourselves to consider that he had never been officially acknowledged.

I am sure Mike Panozzo knows where to take this. You handle it from here, Mike.

Beard

He'll get there Fred, in time. I can't see how he couldn't. If Terry Bell is in, GF is a given. He's got my vote.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
He'll get there Fred, in time. I can't see how he couldn't. If Terry Bell is in, GF is a given. He's got my vote.

George could give Terry Bell the orange ball and the break in the pool promotional and advancement category. Terry and Larry Hubbert landed in a pile of diamonds and put most of them in their own pocket. The APA leagues main intention is to make money for the league owners -- and next to doodly shit for the league members. I dont hold that against them. This is America and you dont have to give anything away -- at least up until this last administration -- and to keep most of the profits and basically ignore really doing anything for pool, is their business.

Let me ask this question: Has anybody on this forum profited or was helped or encouraged by anything the APA did? Aside from a trip to Vegas that the APA has to pay little if anything for.

For example, if I had access to the money and power of the APA, and I should have had that -- but that is another story -- you can bet your ass that pool would be in a much better place, and I would still have made a bushel of money doing it.

Finally, on this topic, Greg Sullivan could give the APA and theirs, the green one and the break, just a little less than George.

Beard

SamFels

Service

Service

I post this as its own thread but will do so here as well:

Hello all. I just wanted to post the arrangements for my father, George Fels. A service will be held Thursday, January 9th at 7pm at the Benson Funeral Home, 3224 W. Montrose here in Chicago. There will be a viewing from 5-9pm around that.

Dad was very clear that he wanted something like this to be a celebration of his life, not a mourning of his loss. So please come in that spirit, to have a few laughs and all. Stones t-shirts are highly encouraged.

Also, if someone could do me a small favor. I know George was very active in the AZBilliards forum, and I'm not a member there. I'm sure someone here is, so if you could post this information there I'd really be appreciative. Thanks so much for all you've done already.

Sam

JoeyA

Verified Member
From
Metairie, LA
Reflections...

Reflections...

George had a quote that he had used in one of the issues of Billiards Digest that mirrors loudly, at least for me, and something that I will reflect on. It went like this:

"I now know what a lousy idea it is to take people you like for granted." George Fels

I never knew what George was specifically referring to or if it was just a general understanding that he wanted to share. I assume that he was missing someone that he liked quite a bit and regretted not appreciating them as much as he would have liked, while they were alive.

Last night, a good friend sent me an email after learning of George's death and wrote this: "Re-reading a few of George's columns tonight - I realized that he not only spoke to me- he spoke for me, my feelings for the game - the joy, excitement, anticipation, and the pleasure that has never abated."

Yes, I too enjoyed George's significant contributions to the pool world that covered a large part of his life. In the commentary, booth I would often think of him and use a signature quote of his when appropriate and then would write him and tell him that I used a specific word or two that he had shared in his column. He even responded to some of my musings and offered additional clarity when it was warranted. I told him on more than one occasion how much I enjoyed the way that he wrote.

I had asked George, probably a year ago or so, if he would consider sharing the booth with me and he confessed that he doesn't do a lot of pool commentary but that he would be happy to share the booth with me if the opportunity came to be. That opportunity did not come to pass and it is one item that I will sincerely regret scratching from my Bucket List.

Yes, a giant among us, has left this physical world and we will miss him but the memory of George Fels and all that he shared with us will never be forgotten.

JoeyA