shane /gentile 72635

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Rods shot probably, trailing 5/0.

Or cross the 13 with 2 tips of RHE and go back up table trying to freeze on the end rail leaving Gentile as straight in as possible on the 14 ball.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
Pretty much Rod's shot but done with a bit of right draw. Chris must have made a huge error in leaving this set up for Shane, especially with the score that way it is.
shane shooting.jpg

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Pretty much Rod's shot but done with a bit of right draw. Chris must have made a huge error in leaving this set up for Shane, especially with the score that way it is.
View attachment 14451

Your lines look about right Frank, with the possible exception of the pink ball. The 15 won't deflect over that far, it's headed to the foot rail and might catch the pink on the rebound. I also like a touch of low RHE here. Upon a closer look, the cut angle looks to deep for drawing the CB back, looks like a very good stroke would stop it close to the 15 balls present position and then the 15 might not have a lot of movement, what do you think? I keep going back and forth, looking at the two pics, 1 angle affords drawing back a little, the other doesn't. The 15 is below the 8 so from that angle it looks like you could draw back off the 15. The pic from the foot rail makes the cut angle on the 8 look to deep. ??????

Last edited:

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Trailing 5 to 0 with the balls strongly favoring the shooter suggest to me that maybe choosing the 8ball option isn't the best choice especially since crossing the 13ball is available and practically free, practically. If I were Shane I would cross the 13ball with 1 tip of inside (right) and bring the cue ball back to where it was shot from. From there it's very possible that the 6ball could be a big ball in blocking and protecting any ball/balls that may end up close to your pocket. That would be my choice, however, i don't shoot nearly as straight as Shane.

Dr. Bill

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Trailing 5 to 0 with the balls strongly favoring the shooter suggest to me that maybe choosing the 8ball option isn't the best choice especially since crossing the 13ball is available and practically free, practically. If I were Shane I would cross the 13ball with 1 tip of inside (right) and bring the cue ball back to where it was shot from. From there it's very possible that the 6ball could be a big ball in blocking and protecting any ball/balls that may end up close to your pocket. That would be my choice, however, i don't shoot nearly as straight as Shane.

Dr. Bill

Yep,
I just thought that since Gentile was another world champion straight shooter it would be better to leave him as straight in on the 14 as possible, thereby providing a significant risk factor for shooting at the 14 ball. But you are right, hiding the 13 or any dislodged balls which may settle close to the pocket is probably more important. You are the Doctor and I have learned to think a little deeper. Once again, thanks for explaining your logic.

tucson9ball

Verified Member
From
Tucson Arizona

Dr. Bill

Hey, I finally have the same shot as you :)
Only one question? Why 1 tip of right, are you coming out of the corner off 2 rails? I was thinking the angle is there for just center ball to come back near where the Q ball started....or does that look like a kiss to you?

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Only one question? Why 1 tip of right, are you coming out of the corner off 2 rails? I was thinking the angle is there for just center ball to come back near where the Q ball started....or does that look like a kiss to you?

The way i see it the tip of inside will negate the induced english the cue ball will pick up aftdr contact sending the cue ball back to where it started
After contact the cue ball should be tracking toward the bottom rail with no side spin and after contacting the bottom rail it will depart on the same angle it entered.

Dr. Bill

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri

Dr. Bill

Wow. I'm missing a lot here and just can't make myself see it. Here's what I am seeing:

The 13 has no path and can't be hit hard enough to move anything unless the CB can be sent into the 14;

I like the 14-13 doubled up where they are ( so much that I'd consider taking a foul on the top rail near the corner on Chris' side);

If I shot the 13 I'd want it on the bottom rail and send whitey into the 14;

No way I want to leave that 14 ball shot for Chris from where the CB is now; He might even have a LHE shot at it to send CB near Shane's pocket;

The 8 ball shot is 75% for Shane and safe looks about 50% if he misses.

How many of those things are dufus? :eek:

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
I don't shoot like Shane and I'm still shooting at the eight, especially trailing like he is. If I shot like Shane I would rush to chalk up before something moves. This shot on the eight is a game winner for him.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Wow. I'm missing a lot here and just can't make myself see it. Here's what I am seeing:

The 13 has no path and can't be hit hard enough to move anything unless the CB can be sent into the 14;

I like the 14-13 doubled up where they are ( so much that I'd consider taking a foul on the top rail near the corner on Chris' side);

If I shot the 13 I'd want it on the bottom rail and send whitey into the 14;

No way I want to leave that 14 ball shot for Chris from where the CB is now; He might even have a LHE shot at it to send CB near Shane's pocket;

The 8 ball shot is 75% for Shane and safe looks about 50% if he misses.

How many of those things are dufus? :eek:

John, I believe that the 13ball is laying on an angle where it can be banked into the pocket, if so then the line would be toward the 5ball sendig either the 5ball toward the pocket or the 13ball. As far as leaving the 14ball for Gentile that's no a concern because of the problems he will be facing. not only pocketing the 14ball but also playing position for another ball. Not to mention the 5 to 0 lead he will be looking to protect, that's a deterrant in itself. I would want him to shoot the 14ball, especially if the cue ball was laying close to the top rail.

Dr. Bill

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I don't shoot like Shane and I'm still shooting at the eight, especially trailing like he is. If I shot like Shane I would rush to chalk up before something moves. This shot on the eight is a game winner for him.
If you like the shot then you should shoot it, it clearly has game winning potential. I just think for a player with average ball striking skills the cross on the 13ball will generate a better situation to shoot.

Dr. Bill

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
shane /gentile 72635

What shot would you not want your opponent to shoot in this case? There's no question about it. I am also shooting the eight. Especially given the score.

onepockethacker

Verified Member
I like both options here... for myself this situation would really come down to confidence level at the moment... If I really believe(and not just trying to convince myself) that I will make the 8 im going for it,,, if not Im playing Billys shot and protecting my ball advantage on the table.. the way the balls are laying the shooter doesnt HAVE to shoot the 8 here in order to win the game

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ
As long as it had room I would roll the 6 in. It doesn't look like the 12 goes in his pocket.

Dennis

View attachment 14452

I didn't think the 6 ball would go straight in, if it doesn't i would play the 6 ball just wide of my pocket and roll the cue ball on top of the 3 ball and 10 ball. at the correct speed you would end up with the 6 ball right in front of your pocket and the cue ball buried on top of the 3 and 10. you could be in great shape next inning. Keith

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ

you know chris the doc is wrong every now and then! keith

Cory in dc

Verified Member

Dr. Bill

One advantage to your shot is that when the 13 hits the combo, the front ball in that pair might go off the 8 and in!

I'm still shooting the 8, though.