JHall Safety Drill

sneakynito

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX
Hi All,
Sorry, haven't posted in a while.
We just had our first child so I've been preoccupied.
Found another thing to love about 1p, though...I can watch some matches with the baby girl, and it puts her straight to sleep!

Anyhow, I tuned in just now to the Fight Night match and caught some of the warm up.
Justin set this drill up and shot it several times.
It's just two balls frozen at the right and left diamonds at the bottom of the table. He would kick safety to one side, and kick safety back to the other.

I don't know why but i've never really considered specific drills for safeties; other than just practicing freezing the cue ball on things.
I plan on using this one. Was wondering if anyone else had any others they'd suggest?

Cheers

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
Hi All,
Sorry, haven't posted in a while.
We just had our first child so I've been preoccupied.
Found another thing to love about 1p, though...I can watch some matches with the baby girl, and it puts her straight to sleep!

Anyhow, I tuned in just now to the Fight Night match and caught some of the warm up.
Justin set this drill up and shot it several times.
It's just two balls frozen at the right and left diamonds at the bottom of the table. He would kick safety to one side, and kick safety back to the other.

I don't know why but i've never really considered specific drills for safeties; other than just practicing freezing the cue ball on things.
I plan on using this one. Was wondering if anyone else had any others they'd suggest?

Cheers

i think that is a very astute observation. i noticed bernie doing something similar to this at dcc a few years ago. sets up two or three balls on the first diamond and lags three rails in behind them. in a situation where you actually have time to warm up before a match, i do the same thing now. also lag a couple balls up and down each long rail.

(i've posed the question on here before what guys quck warm up routine is and got crickets :rolleyes:)

:)

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
i think that is a very astute observation. i noticed bernie doing something similar to this at dcc a few years ago. sets up two or three balls on the first diamond and lags three rails in behind them. in a situation where you actually have time to warm up before a match, i do the same thing now. also lag a couple balls up and down each long rail.

(i've posed the question on here before what guys quck warm up routine is and got crickets :rolleyes:)

Did you forget the kicking lesson you got at derby last year:D

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Rather than a warm up sort of practice drill, it looks like that's how Justin 'measures' how a particular table is playing -- but maybe that is what you guys meant anyway.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
seems like I never have time to do any drills or warm up before I play (or maybe I just dont make time for them), but they are a good idea imo.

I do, like Steve mentioned, try to roll the ball the length of the table to check the speed and see if it rolls in or out so I know how to adjust my long rail banks.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I think that any drill which allows a guy to have a feel for table speed for all around play in general, and for the table he's about to compete on in specific, is a good idea. For example I've practiced the lag shot at several big events for 15-20 minutes. That has resulted in my winning the lag most every time, which is a substantial advantage in races to 3. It also gives a guy the general feel for the speed of the table. And at events like the DCC, or ones at good pool rooms, the speed varies very little from table to table-- except for the TV table, of course.

~Doc

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri

Thanks, but where do you place the balls for crickets? :confused: