West Coast Challenge 1p Day 1

P00lh0li0

Verified Member
This is my little report from the first day of the West Coast Challenge one pocket at California Billiards. I arrived a little after 11 AM. While heading to the pool hall, I saw some guy sleeping in his car outside. First thing that came to my mind was “Yep, that must be a pool player.” haha

Walking in the door, the first person I could make out when my eyes adjusted to the inside was Henderson playing someone. I think it was the same table I saw him playing Mitch on last month. Walking toward the back, many of the competitors appeared to be practicing. On one of the streaming tables, Ronnie was hitting some balls. Arriving back to the front, Dennis, Warren, and Jay began hitting balls. Pretty soon, Ronnie, Jeff De Luna, and a couple of others came over. At around noon, ken Shuman holds the players meeting. As many of you heard, you can’t wear tank tops or open toed shoes. Funny part about this is there was a player who appeared to play in his socks. Matches began close to one.

As mentioned previously, our 1p.org members didn’t get easy draws the first round. Jay got Tony, Masta Cruz got Jayson Shaw, Catkins(I think that was him) drew Kiamco, and of course, Hendy drew SVB. I don’t remember who Chris Swart, Martin Bick, Jeff Gregory, or Tres Kane drew for their opening matches. I know Lance Salazar knocked Hendy out. I know every one else was still in it when I left around 6 PM. Chris was playing Jeff on the streaming table next to the Thorpe/AlShaheen match.

Watching the Ronnie vs Kiko match, it was close in the beginning with Ronnie making some mistakes to keep Kiko in the hunt but Ronnie won it by winning two straight games. Ken Shuman came by the table by the door and told the player to speed it up since it was tied at 2 apiece after close to two hours. It seemed with the caliber of players and the rules, all matches were going by pretty quickly.

Up until 6 PM, the big match was the SVB vs Chohan one on the streaming table. I’m glad I was able to get a good seat for this one as this match drew a pretty sizable crowd. While there was safety play, it was more ball running and nice banking. As you may have noticed, Tony really broke one rack wide open.

It was nice seeing and meeting some of our members from the forum. I believe Howard “What’s in the case” Kurasaki was also there. He was with a couple of others guys were discussing cues while watching the SVB/Chihan match. I think I saw Kenny Koo walking around. Jeff Gregory asked me about the Ghost’s shirt which led us to introduce ourselves. I didn’t say anything to Hendy because he was always busy either playing his matches or matching up. When I left, he was on the snooker table playing. Hmmm...every time I have to leave, I always see Henderson playing on a snooker table.

One guy that is there but no playing is Ernesto. Seems he came up by himself to work on a table on a holiday of all days. As Jay said, Ernesto’s has got to be the hardest working man in pool. Later, when someone asked him how come he isn’t in the tournament, he replied that guaranteed to make money by working on a pool table than playing on one. Also working during the tournament was a guy doing tip and I think ferrule work. I saw Dennis working on his tip on the guy’s lathe.

Well, there’s might little report. Thanks for reading.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Thank you for your detailed report. I am especially impressed that you ID'd so many of our members there -- nice turnout of members and most "came to play" :D

I heard Daniel mention on the stream that Bob Bealieu was there too -- he is not so active, but is also a member, as is Daniel of course. I think Bob played in the tourney too, plus I think Bob took photos. Hmmm I will have to hit him up for some!!

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
nice report!

(ahem, still looking for at least one more writer who is interested in writing up some event recaps...) ;)

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Thanks for the report.
I hope Ernesto works on the TV table

Ernesto is heading for Hard Times, Sacramento next to get the tables ready for the Chuck Markulis Memorial next month. They may change the rails on the Gold Crowns and ‘Diamondize’ them like they have done on the Gold Growns here. That makes them bank shorter like a Diamond table and the pocket cut seems to make them play tighter than the Diamonds do since they will be 4 1/4 wide.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Sorry I missed you. If you come today, come and say hello. I will be on the golf table or commentating with Daniel on the stream, but always find time to chat. There is so much conversation in the golf game anyway I can take a little time between shots.

I was very disappointed in my one pocket play. I did not think I could beat Shane, but missed some opportunities that might have won me a couple games. I also lost to Lance Salazar, a good young player who lives in Las Vegas now. I can still beat them to the shot once and a while, but just do not run balls well enough anymore to beat the good players.

The James Aranas/Ian Costello match was a great match to sweat. James is called Dudong Diamond and a monster Filipino rotation player. He is not a seasoned one pocket player but won the first two games with his shot making ability. Ian is a seasoned all around player originally from New York and living in Las Vegas now. He won the next three games with flawless old school one pocket play, got a little reckless in the sixth game and the set went hill/hill. It was Ian’s break in the hill game and after good break Ian kept gathering balls near his hole and locking James up in the stack until he got an opening and ran out.

One thing that struck me about James game, other than his shotmaking ability, was he did not take many fouls to get out of trouble. He usually tried to shoot out of it and it ended up costing him. I am sure he will learn.

keoneyo

Verified Member
I had a chance to talk to Ernesto once about his life as a table mechanic. We talked about how he was able to take care of his family after years of playing pool and settling for a domestic life. He told me how hard he worked to get to where he is. I asked him about medical insurance and what he had to do to take care of his familia.
"We dont get sick", he told me. Then laughed and said "If I have to go to the doctor I pay cash, but I take care of my family. Thats why I have to cover all these tables, Amigo.". The man is just a wonderful human being.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I had a chance to talk to Ernesto once about his life as a table mechanic. We talked about how he was able to take care of his family after years of playing pool and settling for a domestic life. He told me how hard he worked to get to where he is. I asked him about medical insurance and what he had to do to take care of his familia.
"We dont get sick", he told me. Then laughed and said "If I have to go to the doctor I pay cash, but I take care of my family. Thats why I have to cover all these tables, Amigo.". The man is just a wonderful human being.

Yes and he and his son Oscar are so obviously fond and supportive of each other at every turn, it is an inspiration not just for pool but for any father/son relationship!!

P00lh0li0

Verified Member
Thank you for your detailed report. I am especially impressed that you ID'd so many of our members there -- nice turnout of members and most "came to play" :D

I heard Daniel mention on the stream that Bob Bealieu was there too -- he is not so active, but is also a member, as is Daniel of course. I think Bob played in the tourney too, plus I think Bob took photos. Hmmm I will have to hit him up for some!!

Not sure if it was Bob but there was a guy with a nice SLR and lens taking pictures. Some guys next to me make comments that those were serious photographic equipment.

P00lh0li0

Verified Member
Sorry I missed you. If you come today, come and say hello. I will be on the golf table or commentating with Daniel on the stream, but always find time to chat. There is so much conversation in the golf game anyway I can take a little time between shots.

I was very disappointed in my one pocket play. I did not think I could beat Shane, but missed some opportunities that might have won me a couple games. I also lost to Lance Salazar, a good young player who lives in Las Vegas now. I can still beat them to the shot once and a while, but just do not run balls well enough anymore to beat the good players.

The James Aranas/Ian Costello match was a great match to sweat. James is called Dudong Diamond and a monster Filipino rotation player. He is not a seasoned one pocket player but won the first two games with his shot making ability. Ian is a seasoned all around player originally from New York and living in Las Vegas now. He won the next three games with flawless old school one pocket play, got a little reckless in the sixth game and the set went hill/hill. It was Ian’s break in the hill game and after good break Ian kept gathering balls near his hole and locking James up in the stack until he got an opening and ran out.

One thing that struck me about James game, other than his shotmaking ability, was he did not take many fouls to get out of trouble. He usually tried to shoot out of it and it ended up costing him. I am sure he will learn.

I came for a bit but go to talking to Alex and a couple others when you were free then had to leave when you were busy with your golf game. Hopefully, next time.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
West Coast Challenge 1p Day 1

Thank you for the great report :). Sounds like a good time.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
JrHendy,
I caught your game with Shane, and you played great! If you were on your game there's no doubt your going hill, hill. Just a few shots you were disgusted with that we all know you can make, otherwise you send the SD. Kid packing! Way to take it to him!

Also very enjoying, and spot on commentating! Whitey

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD

John,

You are indeed a lucky man to be in an area where the GOLF game is popular and played by so many.:) I learned to play golf in South Florida and played it almost daily for about 6 or 7 years with a good group of guys. Most were competent one pocket players as well as "golfers". As you have described, the conversation and comradery built during the game is more fun than anything else on a pool table.

One pocketeers and others who have never experienced a good golf ring game or even one-on-one games with others who know the game just can't imagine what they are missing.

I have tried to introduce GOLF to the Baltimore area for years, but nobody here has played it, nor shows any interest in learning it.:frus I miss it greatly, and if it were available, I would probably give up much of one pocket play to join in golf ring games as often as possible.

I hate to see this game disappear and wish one pocket players would, maybe through this organization, find ways to promote, expand, and learn golf. It is difficult cause you need a 5x10 or better 6x12 snooker table at least.

I think GOLF is a close cousin to One Pocket, played by the same type of players (not usually 9 ballers or 8 ballers so to speak), and it is a great game to transition to as we get older and can't play other pool games like we used to.

Anyway, you lucky guy, you.:p:p:lol:lol

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
John,

You are indeed a lucky man to be in an area where the GOLF game is popular and played by so many.:) I learned to play golf in South Florida and played it almost daily for about 6 or 7 years with a good group of guys. Most were competent one pocket players as well as "golfers". As you have described, the conversation and comradery built during the game is more fun than anything else on a pool table.

One pocketeers and others who have never experienced a good golf ring game or even one-on-one games with others who know the game just can't imagine what they are missing.

I have tried to introduce GOLF to the Baltimore area for years, but nobody here has played it, nor shows any interest in learning it.:frus I miss it greatly, and if it were available, I would probably give up much of one pocket play to join in golf ring games as often as possible.

I hate to see this game disappear and wish one pocket players would, maybe through this organization, find ways to promote, expand, and learn golf. It is difficult cause you need a 5x10 or better 6x12 snooker table at least.

I think GOLF is a close cousin to One Pocket, played by the same type of players (not usually 9 ballers or 8 ballers so to speak), and it is a great game to transition to as we get older and can't play other pool games like we used to.

Anyway, you lucky guy, you.:p:p:lol:lol

Thanks, one of reasons I make the 2 1/2 hour drive down here every month or two is to play some golf. I grew up playing it in SoCal in the late 50’s. It was very popular in the bowling alleys that had pool rooms in them. You are right that it is a better game on a 6 x 12, but the space required to have these in a room for the amount of play they get has made them die away in most places.