Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > Bank Pool Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2012, 02:10 PM
Suspended

Default Non Bank-Pool Player's Dilemma

The shooter is up 3-2 this game and has BIH. The 6 is on the spot. Which ball would you shoot?

Name:  bpd1.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  34.8 KB

Name:  bpd2.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  34.9 KB

Name:  bpd3.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  34.5 KB

Name:  bpd4.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  26.8 KB
Old 06-29-2012, 04:26 PM
Verified Member

Back bank 1b slightly with stun. Leave cb about even with 8b with room to bridge/shoot. Back bank 8ball with center left, leave cb at bottom rail even with 6 and 7.

As a non banker-if I get too low with the cb for the 8, 7 and 6 still in play for cross corner or cross side.

But I'm not a bank pool player.
Old 06-29-2012, 04:58 PM
Verified Member

This is a good example to demonstrate a solid banking axiom or principle. Those with good sense will write this down or burn it into their brain.

What ball to shoot at? A great rule of thumb is, to first try and shoot at the ball that has the most possibilities of being banked by your opponent -- in that particular situation. Which in this case would be the 6 ball as it can be banked into the most pockets. All the other balls are beneath it and are closer to the foot rail. By shooting at the 6 you not only remove the main threat in a leave, but if you can get the cue ball back up table those balls that are close to the foot rail are easier to play safe on due to the added distance.
The problem with the shots in this situation is that there is no really solid option. Shooting the 6 and stopping the ball amongst the rest of the pack could result in your oppo getting all the way out, especially since it looks like the easy cross corner on the 8 ball would be left if you missed the 6.
With a 3 to 2 lead and coming off an oppo's scratch, I want to be careful not to bet the game on anything that I would shoot from here. The 1 ball angle looks to be too short to be able to get the cue ball back up table safely. 7ball straight back? If I am going to shoot a straight back I would have to go for the 6. Its over a foot closer and much more dangerous in a leave than the 7 ball. You could shoot the 7 and full follow the cue ball back up the table but that aint so easy.

I could go for banking the 6 and drawing the cue ball back to the head rail, but I wouldnt be ecstatic about shooting that. If I was backing someone and he clipped the side of the 6 ball tying it up with the other balls and sent whitey back downtable to the cushion, protecting the scratch advantage I just received, I would certainly not be upset at my player.

An exception to this rule would be in a different layout, if there are balls near the rail and close to the side pockets, thereby setting up for easy cross sides, you would be looking to play off of those balls. It is just common sense. If you scoop up the gravy balls, they are not available for your oppo.

Beard

If I had a lot more energy I would post WEI table examples that would illustrate this point a lot more clearly.

Last edited by fred bentivegna; 06-29-2012 at 05:31 PM.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:37 PM
Verified Member

Up 3-2, I'd take the easiest shot to begin with - for me, the 1. You should be guaranteed a shot at something afterwards, no matter the leave. Bad leave - safe up, good leave - bank out. Cut across the face with speed or back-cut at a medium/slower hit, depending on what felt better.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:38 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred bentivegna View Post
This is a good example to demonstrate a solid banking axiom or principle. Those with good sense will write this down or burn it into their brain.

What ball to shoot at? A great rule of thumb is, to first try and shoot at the ball that has the most possibilities of being banked by your opponent -- in that particular situation. Which in this case would be the 6 ball as it can be banked into the most pockets. All the other balls are beneath it and are closer to the foot rail. By shooting at the 6 you not only remove the main threat in a leave, but if you can get the cue ball back up table those balls that are close to the foot rail are easier to play safe on due to the added distance.
The problem with the shots in this situation is that there is no really solid option. Shooting the 6 and stopping the ball amongst the rest of the pack could result in your oppo getting all the way out, especially since it looks like the easy cross corner on the 8 ball would be left if you missed the 6.
With a 3 to 2 lead and coming off an oppo's scratch, I want to be careful not to bet the game on anything that I would shoot from here. The 1 ball angle looks to be too short to be able to get the cue ball back up table safely. 7ball straight back? If I am going to shoot a straight back I would have to go for the 6. Its over a foot closer and much more dangerous in a leave than the 7 ball. You could shoot the 7 and full follow the cue ball back up the table but that aint so easy.

I could go for banking the 6 and drawing the cue ball back to the head rail, but I wouldnt be ecstatic about shooting that. If I was backing someone and he clipped the side of the 6 ball tying it up with the other balls and sent whitey back downtable to the cushion, protecting the scratch advantage I just received, I would certainly not be upset at my player.

An exception to this rule would be in a different layout, if there are balls near the rail and close to the side pockets, thereby setting up for easy cross sides, you would be looking to play off of those balls. It is just common sense. If you scoop up the gravy balls, they are not available for your oppo.

Beard

If I had a lot more energy I would post WEI table examples that would illustrate this point a lot more clearly.
Thank you Freddy, another axiom to add in my notebook. I am amazed that such powerful information is available for free.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:21 AM
Verified Member

Default Like the......

.....messiah,Freddie is leading many out of the green felt jungle,cheers,Jack
Old 07-03-2012, 06:36 AM
Suspended

Well, Efren was the shooter and I guess he remembered those ancient Chicago lessons because he eventually banked at the 6 ball. He hit it a little wide and it came back down by the other balls.

I would've had to shoot that fat 1 ball.

Name:  er1.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  165.8 KB

Name:  er2.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  190.1 KB
Old 07-03-2012, 07:22 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Dennis View Post
Well, Efren was the shooter and I guess he remembered those ancient Chicago lessons because he eventually banked at the 6 ball. He hit it a little wide and it came back down by the other balls.

Attachment 6329

Attachment 6330
You fergot to mention that he also drewed his rock back downtable lak ah sed.

Beard
Old 07-03-2012, 04:04 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred bentivegna View Post
You fergot to mention that he also drewed his rock back downtable lak ah sed.

Beard
You forgot to mention that I forgot this thread and needed to post the shot the player chose.

Yes, Effie did attempt the shot with draw (very unsteadily), he looks like a fish out of water when playing Bankpool. It's nice to see he's human under that Superman suit.

Dennis
Old 07-03-2012, 04:46 PM
Verified Member

Default Next question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Dennis View Post

Attachment 6329

Attachment 6330
Next question: After Efren's miss it is the other guy's shot. He is down 3 to 2, now what does he do from here?

Beard