Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2019, 12:21 PM
Verified Member

Tom Wirth, Howdy;

Thanks for the new video. During the tiny tourney at my local VFW yesterday
I was able to "see" a set-up similar to the first one in you video. Wouldn't have
noticed it unless I hadn't viewed it earlier. So, I shot the shot, made the ball and
was rewarded with the ball plopping in the hole. THANKS Tom!

hank
Old 06-30-2019, 12:29 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankh View Post
Tom Wirth, Howdy;

Thanks for the new video. During the tiny tourney at my local VFW yesterday
I was able to "see" a set-up similar to the first one in you video. Wouldn't have
noticed it unless I hadn't viewed it earlier. So, I shot the shot, made the ball and
was rewarded with the ball plopping in the hole. THANKS Tom!

hank
Hi Hank, My reaction to your post. Thank you, you just put a big smile on my face. It is posts like yours which make the efforts all worth while.

Tom

"Controlled Aggression" trwirth369@gmail.com
Old 06-30-2019, 03:24 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wirth View Post
Thank you Gentlemen for you kind words and encouragement. It is most appreciated and i will continue to try to post new stuff that I hope you will find interesting. If any of you have ideas or drills you would like me to consider as a subject of study for video, I would like to hear from you. I won't promise to take them on but I do like a bit of a challenge now and then.

And Jim, Thank you for liking the music I chose. Tom Guernsey, who wrote the piece was a good friend of my sister and me. He passed away a few years ago of Lou Gehrig's disease. I got permission from his widow to use his music and I am very grateful to her. I get to honor Tom's memory in this small way.
I think it works well here.

Steve, Thanks again for allowing me to post my videos on the main forum and it's good to know we both are interested in expanding One Pocket thinking on a more inventive scale.

Bill, I think you would be surprised by the percentage of times shots of this kind and variations not all that dissimilar can be found in the course of even a few games. We all have a tendency to wear blinders when playing this game. Especially once we feel we know what we are doing. That's when we see one shot that jumps out at us we jump back at it.

The trouble is more in not recognizing the possibilities quickly enough to take advantage. We all have had the disappointing experience of seeing a shot that could break the game wide open but because we didn't practice even its basic structure our lack of confidence prevents us from attempting its execution.

There are so many odd ball shots that One Pocket offers to the imaginative player who takes the time to study the way the balls interact. Even if you don't learn to execute to shot to your own satisfaction you should at least consider the information you will gather by simply doing a bit of pool table research.

I bit of unsolicited advice. FEED YOUR HEAD! I guarantee that like me you will have fun and benefit from the experience.

The pool table can be your laboratory. It is for me. That's where I get my joy from pool these days. That and teaching. I haven't set foot in a pool room since I returned from Memphis. I don't miss the competition that much anymore but I hope to attend our next tournament event wherever may be held. Hope to see you there.

Thanks again,

Tom
Hey Tom,
Youíre doing good things as usual... 👍 Simple shot, once itís recognized and learned! And like you stated, many variants of this shot are certainly possible during the course of a one pocket session... Because of the chess like maneuvering and tactical thinking required to play better one pocket, itís always fun to learn something new and put it in action on the table when it comes up...

Iím so glad you are enjoying teaching the game to others who are interested in improving their skills...

Wasnít it Efren would said he learned some fantastic moves and shots by simply paying attention to ball reactions made by players who were attempting to do something entirely different, but actually achieved a brilliant result completely by accident... 🤪

Keep up the good work... 👍
Old 06-30-2019, 03:47 PM
Verified Member

Tom,

These video snippets are gold to players like us. Could you do a shot of the day sequence that lasted no more than 90 seconds? Would be great for the stream when we get it going. Has anyone ever taken Eddie Robin's shots in his book and put them to video?

Thanks,

Joe
Old 06-30-2019, 04:12 PM
Verified Member

Please continue to make videos if you can! I enjoy them, and share them with my friends.
Old 06-30-2019, 08:09 PM
Verified Member

Thank you for chiming in in support Jeff, Joe, and Sheldon.
Joe, Maybe a shot of the month.....maybe

Tom

Old 06-30-2019, 10:19 PM
Verified Member

Thanks, there is always something new to learn, even for an old dog like me.
Old 06-30-2019, 11:00 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wirth View Post
Hi OP folks, I just uploaded another You Tube Video for your enjoyment.

Tom
Tom, I never would have thought of that bank combination.

Thanks!
Old 06-30-2019, 11:07 PM
Verified Member

Really like the new videos Tom. Great shots, really nice editing and music.
Old 07-01-2019, 07:32 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhendy View Post
Thanks, there is always something new to learn, even for an old dog like me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSJohn View Post
Tom, I never would have thought of that bank combination.

Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabbcatjohn View Post
Really like the new videos Tom. Great shots, really nice editing and music.
Well if it isn't the law firm of John, John, & John!

Thanks Guys

John I, I feel the same way, I get a big kick out of learning something new. I experiment with little things like how the cue ball reacts differently when coming in fuller contact with multiple balls as opposed to the same contact with only one ball. Stuff like that. Minutiae, that's it.

John II, This might be a good time to start thinking about these shots. It's never too late.

John III, Thanks for the complement John. I've been learning more about this editing program. It can do quite a lot of interesting things. Far more than I've used so far. And thank you for the nod about the music. That too means a lot to me for the reasons I stated earlier.

Tom, Tom, & Tom