Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2019, 12:08 AM
Verified Member

Default Which ball do you spot?

I have a question. I was in a game today and was seven balls to the good and my opponent was minus two when I kept putting balls to the other end of the table. He scratched while playing a safe. All the balls were behind the line.

We were undecided as to which ball is spotted? We took the one closest to the line and spotted it.

Second question is with the score the way is was would you lag that spotted ball to your hole or shoot it firm? The game was an important one. He is a very good player and has made many comebacks against me being down by many balls.
Old 07-27-2019, 12:37 AM
Verified Member

Regarding the first question, I read the following via the Internet in the "Official BCA One Pocket Rules" to wit:

Rule 9.5 In the event of a scratch with the offending player having no balls to spot when all of the balls are located behind the head string, the ball nearest the head string may be spotted at the request of the incoming player. If two or more balls are equally close to the head string, the highest numbered ball would be spotted.

Regarding the second question, based on the score where I needed one ball, I would lag the spotted ball to my hole if the table rolled true, otherwise I would shoot it firm.
Old 07-27-2019, 12:45 AM
Verified Member

i fire the spot shot in and leave him on the short rail. why fool around.

you are more likely to leave him a bank that way and much less likely to make the ball.

some on the 5 by 10 would shoot it softly and bring the cue ball uptable if it was the last ball. i just learnt to make spot shots so it wasnt an issue.
Old 07-27-2019, 02:37 AM
Verified Member

Back in the day when spot shots were the norm in many games, everyone had their go to cinch stroke for making the spot shot. That is my answer go to - your go to shot to make the spot shot. Cinch it. My go to cinch shot is hitting the cb below center with outside (natural English) with 1/4 speed above pocket speed, not hitting it hard. Whitey

Last edited by Dennis "Whitey" Young; 07-27-2019 at 11:36 AM.
Old 07-27-2019, 08:41 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatle View Post
i fire the spot shot in and leave him on the short rail. why fool around.

you are more likely to leave him a bank that way and much less likely to make the ball.

some on the 5 by 10 would shoot it softly and bring the cue ball uptable if it was the last ball. i just learnt to make spot shots so it wasnt an issue.
this for me too...
Old 07-27-2019, 10:15 AM
Verified Member

Frank per your shooting question. I like Whiteys answer, everyone has their cinch shot for spotted balls. If they don’t, they need to dig one out of the ground.

This reminds me of a situation at the DCC several years ago. I was watching a friend playing for a stratospheric amount per game. As I recall, he was up 1 or 2 games when the following occurred. He had a spot shot to win the game with his opponent needing 3 or 4 balls, several of which were on the bottom rail by the first diamond near his pocket, I watched my friend go in the tank trying to decided whether to shoot or duck. This was a 4 1/8 pocket size table. In the end, he ducked and ultimately won the game.

I asked him later about the situation and what he was thinking. He said you couldn’t pull a needle out of his ass and there was no way he was shooting at the time.

I think when choosing to shoot you need to take inventory of the situation. How are you feeling. How have you been shooting. Game/Score/ball position. For me needing one, unless I am in a agitated state, I am shooting “ my” cinch shot more often than not.
Old 07-27-2019, 01:11 PM
Verified Member

Well after thinking about it for a bit I decided to slow roll the ball because I was tired and didn't trust my aim or stroke. For sure I didn't like the draw shot to put the white ball on the short rail like I would have done years back. I don't trust my stroke to do that anymore unless absolutely necessary. That's why I don't play much nine ball these days. Thanks goodness we have one pocket or I'll basically be in my rocking chair all day.

If I was going to shoot it firm I would have shot it like Whitey said except with more speed and just make sure to keep away from any scratches,

I did miss it and left him a bank shot that he made and followed up with three more balls then left me a bank that I made to end the game. He ended play after that game. That game lasted close to a couple of hours. I don't think I would have had enough gas to go another game'

As far as the spotted ball we asked other players in the room and no one knew the answer. So we spotted the one closest to the line as J.R. posted here. I told him that I would ask on here for the answer.
Old 07-27-2019, 04:41 PM
Verified Member

If nothing else is in play,{ IF } I were shooting the spot shot to the left bottom pocket, I put the cueball on the line between the first diamond out from the left on the top rail and the 3rd diamond on the bottom rail. cueball just behind the line. That way I am soft cutting the ball to my pocket and I know my cueball will be up near the top rail on the same side of the table after I cut it and it goes 2 rails out of the opposite corner. If to the right corner do the opposite.
If you never miss no matter how much it is for ,or you are playing to have fun , fire away I guess. I would shoot it the same way for fun or for 1000 because for me it was the correct shot.
I experimented in my basement during practice,
When I was playing well, I was probably 80% to make the spot shot for a couple hundred a game shooting it straight in . I was about 70% to make it my way and the leave is almost never worth a hoot for the opponent.
It isn't so much that you lose 1 game because you missed a spot shot, the damage is you give the opponent hope. If he beats me with me needing 1, and I miss the shot and sell out , me and every other player I ever saw ,will be affected to some degree for at least a game or 2 and maybe the rest of the day. The weaker you get ,the stronger the opponent gets.
It ain't rokit sience.
Old 07-27-2019, 05:19 PM
Verified Member

As far as shooting spot shots. A number of years ago I heard of a man who made it into the Guinness World Book of Records for the most number of consecutive spot shots. The number was staggering. Over a thousand. That number may not be accurate but whatever the number, it was a lot.

It is my understanding that he accomplished this feat by setting up a half ball hit with follow and no english. This provides the clearest possible aim point on an object ball. With a standard, comfortable stroke this also provides a very predictable cue ball path to the middle of the top rail.

With few exceptions I use this half ball hit for most spot shots. You may like to give it a look.

Tom

"Controlled Aggression" trwirth369@gmail.com
Old 07-27-2019, 05:42 PM
Verified Member

When you are on your last ball and it is a reasonable shot, such as a spot shot, then you put everything into the shot to make it, and not let your mind wander into what if I miss, how do I play safe and so forth. I lost a match thinking negatively and wanting to also play safe, instead of just making what otherwise was a rather easy shot!

But on which ball spots when two balls are equally close to the head string.

During our bygone era, the lowest numbered ball was always the ball to be spotted, no matter what game was being played. There was a good reason for this; for in rotation games the lowest number ball always spots first. So why in the world would you ever want to confuse this with other games and have the highest numbered ball spot. Just plain Ludacris!

Somewhere along the line of session of command, the one in power changed it to highest ball. WPA had highest ball spots, BCAPL still has this, Now WPA has players choice and so does DCC, OP.org has highest ball.

We still have the game of 'Rotation' and I believe this game still spots the ball when the lowest number ball is behind the line, when the shooter has BIH/BTL. So the lowest number still should be the ball that spots in all games that play BIH/BTL. Whitey

real games; spot balls and play from behind the line!