Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wirth View Post
Ya see? So far there are opinions that differ. Who's right? Got Me. All I know is that before you break that thing out in either a tournament match or a money match it would be a good idea to get a ruling one way or the other from the "powers that be".

My student wants to order one for me. I said fine, thanks. Will I use it? Don't know. Would I use it if it is deemed legal? I think so. Would I let my opponent borrow it to use on a shot against me. Depending on a variety of factors, yes.

Tom
I think you should be able to use any damn thing you want! It's the same for all players so what's the big deal?

Gettherack Jack
Old 08-11-2019, 03:36 PM
Verified Member

At the '18 MOT @ California Billiards during my match with Kentucky I had to double up the table bridges to stroke completely over the stack of balls. It was a long reach and quite a feat in stacking and being able to see and execute the shot.
IMO Kentucky might of not liked it if I brought out an adjustable bridge stretching 8" high or so. There are a lot of special bridges out there, some designed just for this, others are designed to jump over balls and are able to induce masse' even over balls and stretched.

This is why I like a rule that states only table bridges are allowed, and this eliminates rule discussions such as this.

Gimmick cues and bridges are not the foundation of OP. What if I brought out a special Masse' Cue to do a masse' shot, or changed cues to do a certain shot and then went back to my normal shooter. Some cues induce more squirt than others, so what if I bring out a cue to break with that produces less squirt and thus a more accurate break, then switch to another playing cue. Not easy answers!

But, to answer the question: Yes it is a legal bridge for no rule specifically states that it is illegal, and any cue can be used and switched out at anytime, with the one exception, jump cues. Whitey

Last edited by Dennis "Whitey" Young; 08-11-2019 at 03:48 PM.
Old 08-11-2019, 03:55 PM
Verified Member

thats right whitey almost all sports have limits on the equipment or it soon will ruins the game.

probably best is to have no bridges allowed and you need to learn to shoot both handed and maybe one handed over the balls. after all you put the cueball there or your opponent made a great shot and did it to you.

how about a bridge that holds both ends of the cue and allows for a perfectly straight stroke and a laser pointer to line it up. its the same for everyone to use isnt it.
Old 08-11-2019, 04:59 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis "Whitey" Young View Post
At the '18 MOT @ California Billiards during my match with Kentucky I had to double up the table bridges to stroke completely over the stack of balls. It was a long reach and quite a feat in stacking and being able to see and execute the shot.
IMO Kentucky might of not liked it if I brought out an adjustable bridge stretching 8" high or so. There are a lot of special bridges out there, some designed just for this, others are designed to jump over balls and are able to induce masse' even over balls and stretched.

This is why I like a rule that states only table bridges are allowed, and this eliminates rule discussions such as this.

Gimmick cues and bridges are not the foundation of OP. What if I brought out a special Masse' Cue to do a masse' shot, or changed cues to do a certain shot and then went back to my normal shooter. Some cues induce more squirt than others, so what if I bring out a cue to break with that produces less squirt and thus a more accurate break, then switch to another playing cue. Not easy answers!

But, to answer the question: Yes it is a legal bridge for no rule specifically states that it is illegal, and any cue can be used and switched out at anytime, with the one exception, jump cues. Whitey
Whitey, Yes, there are rules about switching cues in One Pocket such as the example you stated, jumping balls are allowed in One Pocket but switching to a jump cue is not. A standard cue must be used. Are there additional rules qoverning the use of cues designed for masse shots? I know of none. Maybe a player wishes to use a cue with a tip which he favors for the break, or certain bank shots, or draw shots, or masse shots. Maybe he likes to use a cue with a different weight for one of these shots. What's wrong with that? He still must execute the shot with a cue stick. But we are not talking about cue sticks or even lasers. The subject is bridges. Though this bridge is unorthodox it does adhere to the the definition of a bridge and therefore as I see it, should be legal. And why not?

Should we deny innovations such as cue extenders attached to the butt of a cue and those threaded in the middle, or gloves which make the cue slide through the fingers more easily, or how about the way we use a bridge? Must we use it in the same manner everyone before has used it or should we allow a player to use his imagination and come up with ways not thought of before? Where do we draw the line?

As I said awhile ago. I have no horse in this race. I don't care one way or the other whether this bridge is deemed legal or not except to point out that I cringe at the thought that innovation is to be stifled and rejected simply because it is new or different. Now tools that help correct a players inferior stroke might cross the line.

I welcome others opinions for debate for that's all I have to offer here, an opinion.

Tom

"Controlled Aggression" trwirth369@gmail.com
Old 08-12-2019, 09:50 AM
Verified Member

Tom,
I checked WPA rules which of course govern our OP.org game rule. WPA - Bridge rule - He may use his own bridge if it is similar to standard equipment.

Cues - cues can be swapped out during a match. Extenders are permitted.

Of course one has to realize that WPA does not recognize One Pocket as one of their games that they govern. OP.org decided to go with WPA as their governing general rules, but in reality WPA has not developed any rules that specifically apply to One Pocket nor does their rules apply in how One Pocket is traditionally played.

As I stated; " I have no problem with the bridge on wheels as being legal, in accordance with the above written bridge rule". The written rule is vague and leaves open room for speculation, argument and so forth. Further under the WPA bridge specification they have no specs. to follow.

How does OP.org feel about the use of bridges specially designed to jump or masse'? How does OP.org feel about the use of different cues through out a match and the use of extenders? We have had in the past an OP forum pertaining to MOT about the switching of cues, and cues with gimmicks. I believe there was no problem with switching cues if there was a valid reason, cue failure and so forth. Much of this can be decided at a MOT players meeting if it even comes up. Nick is against the use of gimmicks, and so am I.

What is the pure sanctity of OP and what is the role of OP.org in preserving it?

OP.org is not influenced by sponsors and their products such as we see in BCAPL/CSI or WPA tournaments, and thus are not susceptible in the development of vague rules about cues and bridges which allow all these gimmicks. But when our governing body is WPA then we are susceptible to these vague rule writings which may not fall in line with the goals of OP.org. of which one goal is the preservation of the game of OP, of which is as of yet IMO not defined.

I have been a member for two years and probably 30 - 40 times rule questions have come up. Some of these questions are solved but a whole lot result in no conclusion, no decision made. Such as our previous discussion on cues being switched, hand in the pocket, spotting ball frozen to cue ball, racking your own and scoring, and so forth. There is a kind of consciences but no definite conclusion that becomes a rule. Whitey

Last edited by Dennis "Whitey" Young; 08-12-2019 at 11:04 AM.
Old 08-18-2019, 12:13 PM
Verified Member

For me it's simple. You let this kind of thing in and we have to let jump cues fly. I vote no.

Nick B

Name: Nick Beretanos
Old 08-18-2019, 01:48 PM
Verified Member

what could go wrong letting a contraption with wheels to propel the cue stick being legal.
Old 08-19-2019, 04:45 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatle View Post
what could go wrong letting a contraption with wheels to propel the cue stick being legal.
Draggin' a line....
no link....