Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > Bank Pool Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2012, 03:23 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Dennis View Post
Seriously though, here's what it means John: Whenever you bank a ball you have a certain area on the rail that the object ball can hit and be pocketed. I'm asking you if we agree that that area is made smaller by the use of inside english(even 1/4 tip).

Dennis
It goes back to fixing the angle. If you know the rebound of the rails, once you know how it kicks back, you find that angle and it's set. When you talk about no-english banks, what do you mean? Stun shot? Draw? Does the stun shot start turning over before contact with the rail? By fixing the angle, you eliminate so many variables, so in a way you do have a little more play with the hit. The area should stay about the same either way, but you've got more things that can go wrong if you don't lock it in. IMHO, that's why so many straight-backs are rifled in - they find that angle, fix it and make it go.. there's no worry about it going wide by hitting it too soft, or your english falling off, etc etc. When I can, I shorten up the angle as much as I can and force it in, not worrying about hitting too soft or with too much english or english wearing off, on and on. I think this ties into the scratch angles and differing speeds of bankers.. find the shot, miss the scratch and set your leave if you need one. Speed, english and paths are a necessity of knowing what you're doing. I know I'm no pro, but what I've figured out over the years just makes sense and is reinforced by seeing what the real good players do. Rambling complete.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:12 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banks View Post
It goes back to fixing the angle. If you know the rebound of the rails, once you know how it kicks back, you find that angle and it's set. When you talk about no-english banks, what do you mean? Stun shot? Draw? Does the stun shot start turning over before contact with the rail? By fixing the angle, you eliminate so many variables, so in a way you do have a little more play with the hit. The area should stay about the same either way, but you've got more things that can go wrong if you don't lock it in. IMHO, that's why so many straight-backs are rifled in - they find that angle, fix it and make it go.. there's no worry about it going wide by hitting it too soft, or your english falling off, etc etc. When I can, I shorten up the angle as much as I can and force it in, not worrying about hitting too soft or with too much english or english wearing off, on and on. I think this ties into the scratch angles and differing speeds of bankers.. find the shot, miss the scratch and set your leave if you need one. Speed, english and paths are a necessity of knowing what you're doing. I know I'm no pro, but what I've figured out over the years just makes sense and is reinforced by seeing what the real good players do. Rambling complete.
Completely non-responsive to my quoted post. A yes or no would suffice.

Dennis
Old 06-23-2012, 12:22 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Dennis View Post
Completely non-responsive to my quoted post. A yes or no would suffice.

Dennis
then I'd say yes

Last edited by Banks; 06-23-2012 at 12:28 AM.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:27 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Yes, bigger pocket.
Non-responsive again. The question is not "bigger or smaller pocket", the question has been stated by me correctly and clearly.

Dennis
Old 06-23-2012, 08:20 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
At the risk of being admonished I totally agree with your summation, even though this isn't my debate I enjoyed reading your logic, and it made good sense to me.

Dr. Bill
Old 06-24-2012, 02:59 AM

I like shooting the one straight into the corner pocket, and following the cue ball to the center diamond on the end rail. My opponent is gonna be jacked up trying to do something with the 8 ball. Since I'm not a runout bank player, I want to get all the balls past the side pocket, and put the cue ball up against that top rail every shot.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:18 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yella Quinella View Post
I like shooting the one straight into the corner pocket, and following the cue ball to the center diamond on the end rail. My opponent is gonna be jacked up trying to do something with the 8 ball. Since I'm not a runout bank player, I want to get all the balls past the side pocket, and put the cue ball up against that top rail every shot.

Let me interject here and give you a word of advice from a 50 yr veteran of this game. At least 95% of the time that you have a ball that can go cross- corner or cross-side, choose to shoot it cross-side. Cross-side is the most powerful shot in bank pool. Short distance to travel into a big pocket.
The ease at which one can make a cross-side usually outweighs most safety considerations.

Beard
Old 06-24-2012, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred bentivegna View Post
Let me interject here and give you a word of advice from a 50 yr veteran of this game. At least 95% of the time that you have a ball that can go cross- corner or cross-side, choose to shoot it cross-side. Cross-side is the most powerful shot in bank pool. Short distance to travel into a big pocket.
The ease at which one can make a cross-side usually outweighs most safety considerations.

Beard
I'm not saying bank it cross corner, I'm saying play the one straight in as a safety so it goes up on the spot, and playing the cue ball to the center diamond on the top rail.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:07 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yella Quinella View Post
I'm not saying bank it cross corner, I'm saying play the one straight in as a safety so it goes up on the spot, and playing the cue ball to the center diamond on the top rail.
Sorry man, I am addressing a completely different thread (the scratch thread).

Beard