Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2006, 10:52 PM
Verified Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by suki
One Eye Hank was my best friend. I met him when he came to Watsonville in about 1955 with some older guy who brought Hank to hustle. I played him and broke even and we became friends right away. I moved to the City in 1956 and we continued our friendship. We were inseparable in those years and we hustled anyone we could together, including Ronnie Allen, Richie Florence, Bucktooth and whoever. We won a lot and lost not too much. I left for the Air Force in 1959 and never got to see Hank again as I guess he shot himself in the head in the desert a year or so later. I always felt I abandoned him and maybe I had a little to do with his depression. I remember a Paul Cisneros,, at least the name but cannot picture him. The only Paul I rememer was Silva, and Poker Paul. My name is Dick Cady and incidentally two names not mentioned in this thread were Ronnie Barber and Rich Marquez. I introduced them to Cochran's just before I left and I guess they loved it as they both became good players. I talked to Rich last year and suppose to go see him in S.F. soon, He owns a bar at 9th and Mission I think and Ronnie is in the East Bay somewhere. Hope to see or hear from him soon too. Isn't reminising old times fun?
I rember Richie Marquez and rember Ronnie Barbers name but I cant put a face to it. The last time I saw Richie Marquez was at John Singers, after hours joint on 7th St in Oakland, he was with Rusty Jones and someone else. Rusty borrowed a 100 from me and I picked it up later at Cocorans. That was probably 1968. Did you know Jr. Garcia he was related to Ronnie Barber
Old 05-20-2006, 10:08 AM
Verified Member

Ronnie lives in Rohnert Park (45 miles north of SF) with his girlfriend and little dog "Marcello". He still has an apartment in North Beach somewhere, too, but only his friend stays there.

Ronnie still plays a good game of one pocket and beats younger guys who think they can outshoot him all the time. I see him every week at Buffalo Billiards in Cotati.

Maybe I'll print out the list of names and get some stories from him. Ronnie likes to talk about Cochrans- especially when his opponent is starting to run out.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:44 AM
Verified Member

Default same same Palace Billiards?

This thread is older than dirt,but I had to ask,sorry.In 1970 I used to go to a place on Market up 1 floor,maybe 20 tables that was a couple[2-5] blocks from the bus station called Palace Billiards.Old time joint,14' ceilings etc.Could it be the same place?Just curious,Bob
Old 03-27-2008, 10:09 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by usblues
This thread is older than dirt,but I had to ask,sorry.In 1970 I used to go to a place on Market up 1 floor,maybe 20 tables that was a couple[2-5] blocks from the bus station called Palace Billiards.Old time joint,14' ceilings etc.Could it be the same place?Just curious,Bob
Hi Bob-- No, the Palace was down the street from Cochran's. I believe the Palace closed in the 1970's, whereas Cochran's remained, but changed names and owners over the years. I believe it finally closed a year or two ago. Not certain about that.

Doc
Old 03-27-2008, 10:58 AM
Verified Member

Default Cochrans

hey thanks Doc,when I saw that address from Grady,1028 Market,it got me to thinking as the Greyhound station was at 7th and Market and the Palace was close by.I was usually in the East Bay and only lived in the City for a summer.I must not of been in Cochrans then,pity.Oh well,I was doing alot of living and dying then on other levels and it was damn hard to be in more than one place at a time.There was a place called Kips off Telegraph and Durant in Berkeley,but it was very casual,nothing special.Have a great day Doc,thanks again,Bob
Old 03-27-2008, 03:15 PM
Verified Member

Default Hey Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by usblues
hey thanks Doc,when I saw that address from Grady,1028 Market,it got me to thinking as the Greyhound station was at 7th and Market and the Palace was close by.I was usually in the East Bay and only lived in the City for a summer.I must not of been in Cochrans then,pity.Oh well,I was doing alot of living and dying then on other levels and it was damn hard to be in more than one place at a time.There was a place called Kips off Telegraph and Durant in Berkeley,but it was very casual,nothing special.Have a great day Doc,thanks again,Bob
That is funny you would find The Palace and not Cochran's. I think it was still open then or if not as Hollywood Billiards or that was later, hard to remember. But the point is as you walked from 7th and Market to The Palace you had to pass the old Cochran's although it was across the street. It was basically at the corner of Golden Gate and Market just up from the Golden Gate theater with a Market entrance and a Golden Gate one. I don't think the Market entrance was closed then. Over the years I always made a nostalgic visit back. It closed a year or so ago when new owners screwed up the permit process and there also was a homocide on the premises which brought their problems to the forefront and they closed and I doubt it will ever reopen as a pool room. Rents you know. I just wish there were pictures from that era from the 50's available I have only seen one on this forum of "Ears" through the front door watching someone shoot. When baseball season starts I will go back up and see what happened to it.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:33 PM
Verified Member

Default Sorry I forgot about this thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by glee
I rember Richie Marquez and rember Ronnie Barbers name but I cant put a face to it. The last time I saw Richie Marquez was at John Singers, after hours joint on 7th St in Oakland, he was with Rusty Jones and someone else. Rusty borrowed a 100 from me and I picked it up later at Cocorans. That was probably 1968. Did you know Jr. Garcia he was related to Ronnie Barber
But I am glad it came back up so I can relate my latest quest to find Ronnie.
I did. First about Jr., yes I forgot to mention his name. He and Ronnie are both players I introduced to Cochran's before I went away to the Air Force. I guess they both got real good. Ronnie told me he died a couple of years ago. May he rest in peace.
This is why the DCC is so great. It has people coming from all over the country to meet, greet and play. I was sitting in the lobby of the hotel when an old timer came up and said, Hey Dick, guess who is here? (He knew I had been trying to hook up with him). He told me Ronnie Barber.. I said "no way". Off we went to find him and when we did I could not believe I could even rememer him. Like all of us we changed a lot but I had not seen him in 50 years but I sure remember the look and the twinkle in his eye when he was around pool. We had a great time reminiscing and I can't wait to get up to Cotati to play him some for old times sake. He couldn't make a ball when I introduced him to the game but from the stories we talked about he was quite the player and road man. He learned in the right place(Cochran's). You might say I left him in good hands. LOL> He is still really into the game as evidenced by how many matches and players he intensely studied and watched at the DCC.
We enjoyed quite a few matches together and it sure was fun going back in time.
When I got home from the DCC to my room, believe it or not he called me to see if I made it home o.k. and to say he sure enjoyed our little time together and he hopes i make it up there soon. He would come here I think but he quit driving a car 30 some years ago.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:32 PM
Verified Member

Default One eyed Hank and the Tooth matchup

Hi Dick,
A while back in a conversation with Toothy he mentioned a session where Big Nose Roberts backed Hank to play him snooker on a 6x12. Probably at Wrights in the Tenderloin, above the Rialto Bowl. Roberts was the houseman there. Toothiy said it was an absalute disaster, Hank destroyed him. Were you in on that?
George

Last edited by glee; 03-27-2008 at 08:56 PM.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:20 AM
Verified Member

Glad you finally hooked up with Ronnie, Suki. He's a good guy and I always like seeing him at the pool hall. I let him borrow a lot of my pool dvds- he still loves pool, especially one pocket, and hits them pretty good.

He's in Cabo San Lucas for a week right now so life isn't too bad...

If you make it up to Cotati, tell him to introduce us.
Old 03-28-2008, 02:24 AM
Verified Member

Default Sure will do that Bud

When did he go? Just wondering if there is time for him to hook up with Tony Valadez down there. You should know or have heard of him. Anyway he was a great player here and got booted out of country.(long story) Working as a bartender in Cabo now. Don't remember the name but can find out. No big deal. Just like to get pool players together. Last year he hooked up with TheOne of az.
Hope to get up there soon. I was trying to work out getting up for Jointed Cue this weekend. You going? 2 1/2 hour drive for me and not any good motels in that area of town that I know of.