Lighter Cue?

trenos

Hey there...long-time lurker, first-time poster.

Playing one-pocket specifically, all else being equal, will I be increasing my potential by moving to a lighter cue?

I intentionally left out specific weights...I'm hoping the above question can be a general rule-of-thumb.

Thanks, and looking forward to your responses.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
trenos said:

Playing one-pocket specifically, all else being equal, will I be increasing my potential by moving to a lighter cue?

I intentionally left out specific weights...I'm hoping the above question can be a general rule-of-thumb.

Whatever helps you control your speed. The one change I made to my equipment :) was to go with a softer tip :) :) Mainly because with all the slow spin sort of shots in One Pocket, I was miscueing way too much with a harder tip. I rarely miscue with the soft layered tip (Moori or Talsman -- I prefer Moori because of occasional delam problems with the Talisman -- but the hit is very similar IMO)...

Shorty

Verified Member
From
Melbourne, Florida
I too prefer a lighter cue when it comes to playing one pocket. I use an 18.5 ounce cue that is 60 inches long. I really think a lighter cue allows you to play the shots softer and have more control over the rock.

Shorty

t-dog

Verified Member
I have 17.5 cue, but then again, I suck.

trenos said:

trenos

Thanks for the replies.

I'm currently shooting with a 20oz Joss sneaky-pete, and just bought a new 19oz Joss with stainless joint.

Was going to buy plugs to get the new stick back to 20oz, but figure I'll give 19oz a go for a few months.

scotttheshooter

Verified Member
From
Phoenix Area
Right On!!

Right On!!

NH Steve said:
Whatever helps you control your speed. The one change I made to my equipment :) was to go with a softer tip :) :) Mainly because with all the slow spin sort of shots in One Pocket, I was miscueing way too much with a harder tip. I rarely miscue with the soft layered tip (Moori or Talsman -- I prefer Moori because of occasional delam problems with the Talisman -- but the hit is very similar IMO)...

It would seem to me that a softer tip (like a Kamui or other soft lam tip) plus a slightly flexier shaft has to spin the cueball a bit more than a medium or hard tip with a stiff shaft.

You know you've got it right when the cueball sticks to the tip ---- hahaha!

I wouldn't exactly say I suck - but I sure need weight from most everybody!!

Fatboy

Verified Member
From
Vegas & LA
I have awalys thought that using one cue to shoot every shot limits our abilitys as players in any cue sport, I have certain cues I like for long shots, some for lots of english etc. I dont think we need 15 cues like golfers but have clubs but to answere your question, use what feels best and if you need 2 cues for what ever reason use them, For example i have one cue I can pocket balls with very well but for touchy shots I dont like it. and yes the lighter cue is the one i like for touchy shots the heavy cue i just fire in balls with.

1pRoscoe

Verified Member
The two main cues that I use for any game are 19.7 and 20.3, so I can't tell you what going lighter would do.... :p

100andout

Verified Member
From
FL/PA
I went on a light cue kick years back, but what I was really looking for was the right balance point. I kept taking weight out of the back of the cue thinking thats what I liked, but I was just really moving the balance point forward!:)

then I started playing with forward balance cues, and weight doesn't make much difference now. I actually like a cue at almost 20oz now with about a 19 inch balance point...

Gerry

CaptainHook

Verified Member
From
Flamingo,St.Pete FL.
I keep wanting to go buy a small digital scale, and weigh all my cues.
And keep track of it, I think my Adams is a 20 and my Coco around 19.5 or 19.7 depending on the shaft, I kinda lost track years ago. :(

Shorty

Verified Member
From
Melbourne, Florida
If ya wasn't on the other side of the state Captain, I would tell you to come on over and weigh em and I also have caliphers as well.

Shorty

100andout

Verified Member
From
FL/PA
hey short man!....hows Florida dude? PA is cool...literally:)

if you all want to weigh your cues bring em to the post office!....i have gotten tons of laughs from the workers there, but they always did it for me!:) remember to bring a small piece of a rubber band in case the cue wants to roll off the scale...

Gerry

Pelican

Verified Member
From
Magnolia Springs, AL
CaptainHook said:
I keep wanting to go buy a small digital scale, and weigh all my cues.
And keep track of it, I think my Adams is a 20 and my Coco around 19.5 or 19.7 depending on the shaft, I kinda lost track years ago. :(

Careful with them small digital scales, ya might get charged with para-phen-nailia. :eek: :D