Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-27-2007, 11:16 PM
shark3149 shark3149 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Canton Ohio
Posts: 22
Send a message via Yahoo to shark3149
Default One pocket hadicaps???

Hello.I am working with a room owner to start a one pocket tournament.We would like to make it a handicap tournament so all level of players can play.We thought aerating of 1-10 would be best.The owner of the room is a 9 as he plays Shawn Putnam with one ball,we said Shawn would be a ten.My self I am a solid 5.I am in need of some help with the spots.This will be a weekly thing and we have allot of interest in it.I would be very great full if some one can give me some advice.I have run quit a lot of tournaments just never a handicap one.Thank you all in advance for the help.I could not think of a better place to ask for some help.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-28-2007, 09:15 AM
NH Steve's Avatar
NH Steve NH Steve is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 8,378
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark3149
Hello.I am working with a room owner to start a one pocket tournament.We would like to make it a handicap tournament so all level of players can play.We thought aerating of 1-10 would be best.The owner of the room is a 9 as he plays Shawn Putnam with one ball,we said Shawn would be a ten.My self I am a solid 5.I am in need of some help with the spots.This will be a weekly thing and we have allot of interest in it.I would be very great full if some one can give me some advice.I have run quit a lot of tournaments just never a handicap one.Thank you all in advance for the help.I could not think of a better place to ask for some help.
Have you taken a look at the handicap list here on OnePocket.org?
http://onepocket.org/handicaps.htm

Also there is a simple handicap grid for 5 player classes, going from 8-8 to 10-6 here: http://onepocket.org/Handicapgrid.htm

One question I would ask is, how deep do you want to go with your handicaps? I mean, how extreme a spot at the weakest player level do you want? It would not be difficult to up together a grid that went deeper, and that included some additional player classes.
__________________
"One Pocket, it's an epidemic and there ain't no cure."
-- Strawberry Brooks
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-28-2007, 07:37 PM
Pelican's Avatar
Pelican Pelican is offline
Verified Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Magnolia Springs, AL
Posts: 703
Default

Steve, you only go to D. I feel left out

Pel
__________________
..........
I shoot pool like I make love - I'm not very good but do have a lot of fun trying.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-29-2007, 11:18 PM
shark3149 shark3149 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Canton Ohio
Posts: 22
Send a message via Yahoo to shark3149
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH Steve
Have you taken a look at the handicap list here on OnePocket.org?
http://onepocket.org/handicaps.htm

Also there is a simple handicap grid for 5 player classes, going from 8-8 to 10-6 here: http://onepocket.org/Handicapgrid.htm

One question I would ask is, how deep do you want to go with your handicaps? I mean, how extreme a spot at the weakest player level do you want? It would not be difficult to up together a grid that went deeper, and that included some additional player classes.
Thank You for the help.I did find the handicap listed but thought there might be some thing a little more detailed to go by.I think we will start next thursday night and I will let evrery one know how it goes.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-29-2007, 11:23 PM
shark3149 shark3149 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Canton Ohio
Posts: 22
Send a message via Yahoo to shark3149
Default

I have been on the phone all day talking to players intrested in the tournament.Looks like we will have 32 players next thursday.I will have to wait a few weeks befor I will be able to play,but things are looking good.I have some players comming from 30 miles away.The pool hall owner said he will be more than happy to add money with that many players,as well as get some one to help me run it every week.I am very happy there is so much intrest in the tournament,I was only expecting 20 players.
I would like to thank every one.
Nate
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-30-2007, 09:42 AM
gulfportdoc's Avatar
gulfportdoc gulfportdoc is offline
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Gulfport, Mississippi
Posts: 9,242
Default City?

Shark, from which city are you writing?

Doc
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-06-2007, 08:12 AM
shark3149 shark3149 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Canton Ohio
Posts: 22
Send a message via Yahoo to shark3149
Default

I am from Canton Ohio.We will be having the tournament at Fiddlestix Billiards.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-06-2007, 08:23 AM
NH Steve's Avatar
NH Steve NH Steve is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 8,378
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark3149
I am from Canton Ohio.We will be having the tournament at Fiddlestix Billiards.
Hometown of the late hustler extrodinaire Don Willis, right? and another player that I can't think of right now...

Do you have a date and entry fees, etc set yet? When you do, let us know
__________________
"One Pocket, it's an epidemic and there ain't no cure."
-- Strawberry Brooks
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-06-2007, 08:56 AM
shark3149 shark3149 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Canton Ohio
Posts: 22
Send a message via Yahoo to shark3149
Default

We are just going to make it a $10.00 entry race to two.It will be a weekly thing on Thursday nights.I am just trying to give all us players some thing to do.We should be up and running on June 21.The owner of the pool hall just talked to Shawn Putnam last night and he might make it down for the tournament.I sure hope he does he is a great player and a great person to talk to.We have quit a few really good players in the area.I am not sure if you have hear of a guy they call one handed Harry.He plays very good one handed as well as 2 handed.He is from down south some place but he comes and stays hear for 6 or 7 months a year.We are hoping that we can maybe hold a big tournament some time in the future if things work out.I will be sure to let every one know how things work out.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-06-2007, 01:13 PM
One Pocket Ghost's Avatar
One Pocket Ghost One Pocket Ghost is offline
Verified Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Ghosttown
Posts: 8,630
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark3149
Hello.I am working with a room owner to start a one pocket tournament.We would like to make it a handicap tournament so all level of players can play. We thought a rating of 1-10 would be best.

Shark, several years ago I ran a handicapped tournament at Chris's billiards, and I made out the handicaps............My one suggestion to you is that you should make the numbers that your players go to, be between 12 and 5 - if you have to, you could go down to 4, but no lower than that........You shouldn't have players going to 1 or 2 or 3 balls cuz that's no kind of a game - for instance, if they make a ball on their break, they won already.......My highest players were Jeff Carter and Marco Marquez ( they played Putnams speed ) and they both went to 12 - if you use 12 as your highest number and 5 as your lowest, you have enough room to pretty much give everybody a fair handicap..........How many games are you racing to ? - cuz I can give you an interesting idea that I used re. that.............Ghost

Last edited by One Pocket Ghost; 06-06-2007 at 01:30 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All original content Copyright Onepocket.org and/or the original author. All rights reserved.