Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2007, 03:11 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to shark3149

Thank you.I thought of that as well.I came up with using 1-10,10 as the best player,as a result I am only a 4.Wow that even sounds bad for me.Well the guy who owns the room ranked me and the rest of the players.I used the chart on hear and just added to it to make it go from 1 to 10.I think we have a close picture of how the pllayers rate towds each other.I worked in a room for ten years and have hung out with one of the top players for another five or six years.I will be keeping an eye on the ratings verry close and will make an adjustment as soon as needed.I will be sure to let you know how things work out.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:06 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark3149
We are just going to make it a $10.00 entry race to two.It will be a weekly thing on Thursday nights.I am just trying to give all us players some thing to do.We should be up and running on June 21.The owner of the pool hall just talked to Shawn Putnam last night and he might make it down for the tournament.I sure hope he does he is a great player and a great person to talk to.We have quit a few really good players in the area.I am not sure if you have hear of a guy they call one handed Harry.He plays very good one handed as well as 2 handed.He is from down south some place but he comes and stays hear for 6 or 7 months a year.We are hoping that we can maybe hold a big tournament some time in the future if things work out.I will be sure to let every one know how things work out.
If you make the tournament a race to 15 balls, instead of a race to two you can handicap more efficiently. Ronnie Allen has tried to promote this concept for a long time. Longer tournaments, you go to more balls. The tournament director at Hard Times in Sacramento tried it in Mini tournaments at night before the big tournament and it was popular and quite a bit of fun. It also saves time if you are in a tournament race to two by eliminating the hill/hill game. The winner is only making one less ball than a race to two and you almost always go into the 2nd rack with the person behind on balls breaking. It is a new concept, but if you are going to have a handicapped tournament, it would make handicapping and directing the tournament easier IMO.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:34 PM

Thank you that does sound like it would be better.I wil talk it over with the room owner and see if that might be a better idea,I think alot of the players would go for some thing like like that.This is why I came to this site for help.You guys are great.
Old 06-07-2007, 03:08 AM

I made up my chart.I would like to post it for every one to see.You guys might have some thing better or see some thing I missed,but I am not sure I can post it.I will try.
Old 06-07-2007, 03:17 AM

Well I am not any good on the computor so I will just give a few examples.

If a 10 plays a 5 the game would be10-6 and the break.

say a9 plays a 2 the game would be11-5 with the break

a 10 playing a 1 12-4 and the break

a3 playing a 1 9-5 not so sure about this one

What do you guys think?
Old 06-07-2007, 08:33 AM
Administrator

I'm not sure you have to -- or should -- make the handicaps big enough to truly even up the different player levels. Maybe just make then big enough so that the weaker players feel like they have a chance, just like in real life, when matching up

For one thing, the reality being that many of your players do in fact match up with each other, and the stronger players that give up spots when matching up, are probably not going to want to be told they have to give up more weight in your league, because then their action is going to keep expecting that extra weight they were getting in your league

Just a thought.

Many weaker players know they are weak, but are willing to jump in anyway, if they feel like they have half a chance, for the experience of playing better players. Leagues and tournaments have the advantage (compared to gambling) in that the cost, as an investment in experience, to the weaker player is known before-hand -- unlike in real-life gambling situations (unless they are very disciplined).

Adding the break to a spot like 10-4 seems like a pretty big spot -- of course that is your most extreme example.

Can you get an idea of what are the kind of spots currently floating around your room, and then plan your scale to be no more extreme than what already takes place? That would be my thought...
Old 06-07-2007, 09:06 AM
Verified Member

real interesting thread! I was chatting to a friend last week about matching up, and instead of playing an ahead race, I said play a race to say 40 or 50 total points, and I like the "behind player" breaking idea as well.

Gerry
Old 06-07-2007, 09:39 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH Steve
I'm not sure you have to -- or should -- make the handicaps big enough to truly even up the different player levels. Maybe just make then big enough so that the weaker players feel like they have a chance, just like in real life, when matching up

For one thing, the reality being that many of your players do in fact match up with each other, and the stronger players that give up spots when matching up, are probably not going to want to be told they have to give up more weight in your league, because then their action is going to keep expecting that extra weight they were getting in your league

Just a thought.

Many weaker players know they are weak, but are willing to jump in anyway, if they feel like they have half a chance, for the experience of playing better players. Leagues and tournaments have the advantage (compared to gambling) in that the cost, as an investment in experience, to the weaker player is known before-hand -- unlike in real-life gambling situations (unless they are very disciplined).

Adding the break to a spot like 10-4 seems like a pretty big spot -- of course that is your most extreme example.

Can you get an idea of what are the kind of spots currently floating around your room, and then plan your scale to be no more extreme than what already takes place? That would be my thought...
So I'm curious, because this is a problem that some guys have been arguing about for a couple of weeks at a room I frequent and would like some opinions from here. There's a guy, Player A, that is giving 10-7 to Player B. Player A is not a world champ or even a shortstop, just a strong local player. He can occasionally run 10 and out. Player B knows how to move and bank and can run seven with an open table. It's a tough game that they've been at for weeks, and Player A is probably just slightly a head.

Now, there's another guy, Player C, that wants to play Player A. Player C gets 10-7 from Player B, but doesn't like it. Getting 9-6 Player C robs Player B. Player C knows a little 1pocket, sometimes shoots the wrong shot, and can be inconsistent.

How do Player A and Player C match up?

Lou Figueroa
Old 06-07-2007, 10:02 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfigueroa
So I'm curious, because this is a problem that some guys have been arguing about for a couple of weeks at a room I frequent and would like some opinions from here. There's a guy, Player A, that is giving 10-7 to Player B. Player A is not a world champ or even a shortstop, just a strong local player. He can occasionally run 10 and out. Player B knows how to move and bank and can run seven with an open table. It's a tough game that they've been at for weeks, and Player A is probably just slightly a head.

Now, there's another guy, Player C, that wants to play Player A. Player C gets 10-7 from Player B, but doesn't like it. Getting 9-6 Player C robs Player B. Player C knows a little 1pocket, sometimes shoots the wrong shot, and can be inconsistent.

Lou Figueroa
If I understand you correctly, it sounds like player B is willing to give up more weight than he gets (relative to the true speed of the player he is facing). So of course if player C knows this, he asks for the extra weight and "robs player B". That sounds like what happened. Player C, on the other hand sounds like more of a locksmith Really, player B rpobably shouldn't give player C more than about 8-7 or 9-7 max.

Like I posted earlier, I think leagues and tournaments should use somewhat conservative handicaps, not locksmith handicaps.

PS I'm working on a couple more simple charts, with a few more player classes...

Last edited by NH Steve; 06-07-2007 at 11:01 AM. Reason: I called the wrong player a locksmith :)
Old 06-07-2007, 10:12 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfigueroa
I'd say Player A might try Player C giving 12-7 or 9-5, depending on how well C runs balls. But my guess is that Player A won't give up that much weight. Are you "Player A"?

Doc